Jim's 1980 SG Miss September

Speaking of backrests...

CorrectRiding.jpg

For me comfortable wrist angle, rotation with my hand fully engaged with the grip is key to a long distance handlebar.
pegs 10.jpg

This isn't looking the bomb. :umm:
A shoulder torso angle closer to 90 degrees helps reduce "the slouch".. :wink2:

Hijacking your own thread is cool here right.... right? :hijack:

My neighbor Jeff (the guy with the beemer adv a few pages back) has his own Decathlon. He's also an A&P like me... but sometimes it takes two mechanics for a job. I'm always willin' to help a neighbor... especially when there's an airplane involved.:rolleyes: So, off we head this morning to the Downtown Airport.

2.png

The view out the hanger door is fantastic. The Buck O'Neil Memorial Bridge leads to the downtown skyline...

1.png

And here's our patient... the fully aerobatic Decathlon. This thing's a blast to fly.

7.jpg

6 or 8 yrs ago the FAA mandated that all aircraft be equipped with ADS-B out by 2020. He's also installing a newer 243 ELT. Some jobs require 4 hands. The ELT mount goes on the floor behind the back seat (where the drop light is).

6.jpg

So with Jeff inside the airplane pushing the screws into the floor, my job was to install the 4 nuts and washers under the floor.... working through a 4" inspection hole. There's about 3/4" clearance 'tween the floor and the skin of the plane and.... the screws are about 6" aft of the hole.

4.jpg

5.jpg

We then dug out a 15' tape to measure our new locations to update the weight & balance in the logbook. Jeff had to head back to St. Louis for work, so no test flight today... maybe next week.
So yeah... a thoroughly enjoyable morning spent on my other passion... airplanes. Jeff gets a free helper, and I get to enjoy what I spent my life doing.. and next week I get a little free stick time in. As Bob would say, "winner winner chicken dinner." :D

No wonder you're good at the bike stuff Jim. My bike stops, I pull to the side of the road, curse a little and organise a tow. My plane stops and I consider my limited future - shows a different level of mechanical confidence.

6 or 8 yrs ago the FAA mandated that all aircraft be equipped with ADS-B out by 2020. He's also installing a newer 243 ELT. Some jobs require 4 hands. The ELT mount goes on the floor behind the back seat (where the drop light is).

Lucky for me I already knew what those acronyms stood for and didn’t have to look any of it up. Well...maybe one....or two. :rolleyes:

Well, *that's* new. And expensive.
When they first mandated it, ADS-B out (out only and not the in side of it) was 6 to 8 thousand bucks per airplane. They can now be had for 6 to 8 hundred bucks.
Back when, all I did was tell approach that I was somewhere near 1K1...
Now... soon as you turn on the transponder, they know your N number, serial number of the ADS-B box itself, Lon and Lat, speed and alt, course, heading.... what you had for breakfast..... color of eyes...... :er:

I'm reminded of a friend of with a seriously STOL modded C150, with the longest droop tips I've ever seen. Camera fitted into the belly.

He was contracted by Beech for some aerial shots, and that particular day had winds S @40kts. He was essentially hovering over Beech field.

Tracon at ICT had to relabel him as a helicopter, else the system erased his image...

Finding Bigfoot.
Even though I added a some to the foot last year, it still feels like it wants to fall over when you lean it over on the sidestand. I added another 3/8" to it.
View attachment 161971

Hi Jim,
sure it'll ruin the paint job but a touch of the red-hot and pounding straights will stand the bike taller.
Note that later model side stands are built with added stiffness.

Back