Jim's 1980 SG Miss September

I installed the phone mount that Pete gave me last year and I really like having the phone (map) sittin' there, but was always worried about the phone falling out. It's never even came loose, still... I was constantly checking to make sure it was tight. A lanyard would be nice, but not an easy way to put one on a Google Pixel 2XL. So.....

Dug around in the scrap bins and found some 1/16" by 1/4" brass strap. Stacked 6 quarters in two stacks and a drill bit (size unknown... just looked about right) in the vise to bend a channel.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Drilled a #40 hole in each end....

3.jpg

Cut the excess off each end and used it as a pattern to drill into the phone protector.

4.jpg

Cleaned up the brass, countersunk the holes inside the protector and riveted it in place with two 3/32 AD rivets.

5.jpg

6.jpg

Now I just need to make a lanyard to attach the phone to the bike for some peace of mind when out and about.

7.jpg

8.jpg

Last edited:
One time I didn't use the leash on my rokform holder (leash was on a different bike) just caught the phone leaving out of the corner of my eye at 60MPH. That's when I realized the ONLY info I had on the guy I was headed to see was on the phone! Went back found, and it still worked, phone went on for another year and half before dying of unrelated causes.

I have a sun shield for my GPS and for a leash I use a little steel wire luggage tag tie with a knurled and threaded connector.
This thing is very secure but easy to remove and reinstall. It is light and small and could likely hold 100 lbs or more. That is what I will use on my cell phone rig.
AB1C149E-B574-4BB2-894C-A2D0BA7106C3.jpeg

MaxPete, that must be one heavy phone you have. But seriously I have two of those stainless wire ties and use them all the time. They came off clothes labels. What would they be called for me to search and buy some more?

Yeah.. this mod definitely made it easier. Like I said... prolly an inch would be best. Haven't done the emblems yet. I'll let you know if I screw up and need more.;)

1st thing I notice when I brought my '72 home was "heck, I really is leaning on that side stand!! AND Crap, I can't get it up on the centerstand (missing original big bolts)....nice Jim.

for a leash I use a little steel wire luggage tag tie with a knurled and threaded connector.
One of those plastic coated stainless steel leaders (they come in various lengths) used for fishing would work too.Plentiful, cheap, strong, and you probably have one in your tackle box!

Ready to hang... long bolts and o-rings are supposed to be here Monday.

View attachment 160954

While I was at the hardware store I went ahead and picked up some 1/4" fender washers and key rings. The luggage carrier is officially done. :D

View attachment 160955
Jim some where on this forum I thought some one said where they got there long bolts from
Damned if I can find the thread

One of those plastic coated stainless steel leaders (they come in various lengths) used for fishing would work too.Plentiful, cheap, strong, and you probably have one in your tackle box!
Im interested. Can you give me a link, Jerry?
I'm not a fisherman.....

Neat job Jim and a damn site easier than using a Referdex,(street map guide in Oz), at 60k's. What next? A jacuzzi...?
I too have difficulty getting it up, (the motorcycle that is), on the centre stand. I must be doing something wrong cause the guy from Kaplan's motorcycles does it with one hand in the first 40secs of this video,
I have a new tyre and new shocks so I can't change those. I'll try greasing the pivots and maybe, get me to a gym. I could always lean it against a wall.

I must be doing something wrong cause the guy from Kaplan's motorcycles does it with one hand in the first 40secs of this video,
I have a new tyre and new shocks so I can't change those. I'll try greasing the pivots and maybe, get me to a gym. I could always lean it against a wall.

Hi David,
why lean it against a wall, is the bike's side-stand not working?
The Kaplan guy and his camera crew could do as many "takes" as required to make the thing look easy.
But yes, grease the centre-stand pivots.
Note that MikesXS sells Centre-stand pivot bolts that have grease nipples in them.

Put a 3/4" board under the rear wheel and then it is very easy to get on center stand in your garage. I wonder, 5twins mentioned longer shocks, what if you turn the pre-load up fully on the rear shocks???

Last edited:
The penny dropped with me when I had to start using a block of wood to put the bikes on their centrestands. That's when I realised the front springs had got saggy and the slightly lower rear shocks on one ( the other was just old and saggy) meant I'd lost that original height. When the bikes were 20 years younger, I'd no problem popping them up on the stands. Getting older sucks too, of course.

Back