Jim's 1980 SG Miss September

All stock, the Specials are harder to get on the centerstand than the Standard models. Yamaha installed the slightly smaller in diameter 16" rear wheel and laid the shocks down at more of an angle. This raises the wheel and makes the bike sit lower for the "chopper" look. But, they didn't change the centerstand at all, they didn't make it any shorter.

But, they didn't change the centerstand at all, they didn't make it any shorter.
I did. Shortened 3/4". Makes it much easier to put on the stand. If I had it to do over, I'd cut a full inch out.

4.jpg

I have wondered if cutting off 3/4" or 1" results in the center stand no longer lining up with the profiles in the stock exhaust???

I did. Shortened 3/4". Makes it much easier to put on the stand. If I had it to do over, I'd cut a full inch out.

View attachment 169677

Hi Jim,
I wonder how many amateur workshops use a short piece of railroad line as a poor man's anvil, eh?
My ersatz anvil has a Vee flame-cut onto one end.

Hi Jim,
I wonder how many amateur workshops use a short piece of railroad line as a poor man's anvil, eh?
My ersatz anvil has a Vee flame-cut onto one end.
More than a few I'd guess Fred. What I like is that it's light enough to move around yet heavy enough to get the job done.

More than a few I'd guess Fred. What I like is that it's light enough to move around yet heavy enough to get the job done.

Hi Jim,
mine sits atop of a 14" high x 16" diameter log. Tilt & roll to move it. (Also makes a great heavy duty door stop }
And the best thing? I got it for free!

So my problem here lies in the fact that the SE is notoriously hard to get up on the centre stand which, combined with droopy suspension and the fact that I am a senior citizen compounds the issue. I can solve the problem by fitting stainless pivot pins with grease nipples, putting a 3/4" piece of timber under the wheel, rolling it onto a 16' log offcut or cutting an inch off the stand legs - a job facilitated by using a section of railroad line as an amateur anvil. You've gotta love this Forum.

So my problem here lies in the fact that the SE is notoriously hard to get up on the centre stand which, combined with droopy suspension and the fact that I am a senior citizen compounds the issue. I can solve the problem by fitting stainless pivot pins with grease nipples, putting a 3/4" piece of timber under the wheel, rolling it onto a 16' log offcut or cutting an inch off the stand legs - a job facilitated by using a section of railroad line as an amateur anvil. You've gotta love this Forum.
It is possible to do without the anvil.:p

And I thought my Dad was a bit unique in having a railway line anvil! Just goes to show that good ideas can spring up more than once :)

had mine for ears and ears............Found another piece of railway iron that had rusted and had some pitting.........easy just grind it down.............Nope not that easy, that stuff is hard

I'm always on the lookout for a short piece of railtrack - when you don't want any, you can't move for the stuff lying around, but when you need a bit, try and find some... allied to the fact that railway track is unique and protected. There are by-laws in place regarding the unauthorised removal and use of it. Not that that's particularly off-putting, it's not like I'll be descended upon by a vanload of Railway Inspectors, but if I come across a foot-long piece lying in the undergrowth, you can be sure there will be some of them there ready to pounce.

I have a 730# Honda ST1100 that is much easier to put on its centerstand than my 450# XS650...I dont know why this is but it takes an extreme effort to get the 650 up on the centerstand..Go figure...I usually have to rock the bike a bit to get the momentum to get it up there...I'm like WTF??? The first time i went to put the 650 up on the centersstand i was thinking.."this is gonna be easy" and nope it was not easy...and yeah i'm 67 and full or arthrirtic aches and pains..It hurts to do it...but That is how I like to park my bikes.. I guess we could cut the centerstand down an inch..

Last edited:
There are by-laws in place regarding the unauthorised removal and use of it
Thus does yet another home grown DIY favourite go the way of the Dodo. You can just hear your grandson's conversation,
Ronnie: "What's your Pop inside for?"
Jack: "Break and entry and assault. And yours?"
Ronnie: "He was caught cutting up railroad line in the dead of night!"
Jack's mum: "Come away dear. We don't associate with that type."
So many laws to stop you getting ahead!

All stock, the Specials are harder to get on the centerstand than the Standard models. Yamaha installed the slightly smaller in diameter 16" rear wheel and laid the shocks down at more of an angle. This raises the wheel and makes the bike sit lower for the "chopper" look. But, they didn't change the centerstand at all, they didn't make it any shorter.
Ah ha...Thanks for that tidbit of info....

Back