Jim's 1980 SG Miss September

Holy cripe, Jim! :eek: Those brackets look so good, nobody's gonna believe you made them yourself! :shrug: They look too "factory"! :bow::bow2:
...And I'm glad to see you back on your feet again, wrenchin' on the bike! :thumbsup:

Beautiful Jim...again.
I am going to steal that pipe bracket idea from you instead of using bolts.
Thanks

8-jpg.129584

Thanks Mr. B.
Yeah.... I think doin' it that way will be much more durable. Spreads the stress more evenly.
Btw... love your new avatar. :D

Goin' Commando.... :rolleyes:
I picked up the EMGO Commando pipes from Amazon a while back. Cheaper than Mikes and free shipping to boot. The quality of the pipes is about what I expected. Time will tell.... The hanger brackets that came with 'em are definitely sketchy.... not up to my standards anyway. Time to make some better ones. Used some wood and tape to hang the pipe about where I wanted it... and grabbed the cardboard.

View attachment 129575

On the frame, I picked up the exhaust stud as well as the rear peg stud. From there it tapers aft to the pipe mount, and forward to the exhaust manifold clamp. Transferred that to some plywood...

View attachment 129576

...and cut two of 'em out of a sheet of 10ga. mild steel. Tacked the two pieces together and ground the edges smooth....

View attachment 129577

View attachment 129578

Drilled the holes and used the 20T press to make the required bends...

View attachment 129579

Test fit, tweek... test fit, tweek... test fit....

View attachment 129580

Welded the rear peg bracket in place...

View attachment 129581

View attachment 129582

Paint, bake at 175 for two hrs. Used some 1/4" mild sheet to make the pipe brackets.

View attachment 129583

Drilled and tapped for 1/4-28 bolts....

View attachment 129584

View attachment 129585
... and put it all together.

View attachment 129586

View attachment 129587

View attachment 129588

One side down, one to go.

Beautifully done !

Yes, Mike's actually sells that part but it's easy enough to make your own .....

https://www.mikesxs.net/yamaha-xs650-steel-exh-bracket-with-bolts.html
Kinda hard to tell from the pic, but there isn't much metal on the muffie bracket. The bracket I made to go inside it was ground down until it was a snug fit... which came out to about .59" wide. Mikes advertises theirs as 1/2" wide. If they are in fact only 1/2", there's very little metal to get a good grip on the muffie bracket. Not sure I'd trust it....

IMG_20181114_130923.jpg

On mine, the sides of the attached bracket angle out slightly, they're not square like yours. I started out with a slightly wider piece of bar stock and ground both side down at the appropriate angle until the part was a slip fit into the muffler bracket. Basically, I made the part as wide as possible.

Kinda hard to tell from the pic, but there isn't much metal on the muffie bracket. The bracket I made to go inside it was ground down until it was a snug fit... which came out to about .59" wide. Mikes advertises theirs as 1/2" wide. If they are in fact only 1/2", there's very little metal to get a good grip on the muffie bracket. Not sure I'd trust it....

View attachment 129613

G'day Jim,

Are they AN8-(whatever bolts)??

GW

I shot this video of the Commando's not long after I installed 'em. Just been too lazy (and forgetful) to upload it.
I think they have a nice tone to 'em. A little quiet for my taste, but I'm gonna wait for spring and put some miles on it before I decide whether or not to drill a hole in the back baffle as some have done.

Thanks Bob. Yeah... 'bout that gauge... notice it was readin' 11.9v at idle? I just re-watched the video. That's odd cause I'm pretty sure it was about 13v every other time I've run it. I'll put my meter on the battery tomorrow and see what's up.
I've got about 15-20 heat cycles on it now (yeah... just 'cause I can. :whistle:), so I think tomorrow I'll re-torque the head and put the upper Mount on.

Thanks Jeff. Yeah.... that's prolly what I'll end up doin'.

Back