Jim's 1980 SG Miss September

I'm guessing I have about a hundred mile on her now and the charging system dropout has persisted. I'll glance at the voltmeter and it's charging. A minute later I'll look down and it's showing batt. voltage. It'll stay that way for a minute or two and go back to charging. A few min. later and it's back to just the battery. I disassembled and cleaned the connectors during the resto, but went ahead and rechecked 'em.... still doing it. I'm running one of my rewound rotors and new OEM brushes, but the original reg/rec. The pattern suggests it's heating up and quitting... cooling down and going back to work until it heats up again.

So..... time to make a new one. I bought a Windy Nation 30A rectifier a while back, along with a VR-794 'A' type regulator. Fab'ed a bracket from .090" 2024T3 sheet and countersunk the holes from the back for AN CS screws.

2.jpg

Used some heat sink compound to mount the reg. and rec.

3.jpg

Roughly the same size as original...

1.jpg

Test fit.....
4.jpg

...and soldered all the wire on.

5.jpg

6.jpg

It's midnight and I'm beat. Spent the day replacing the side door on the garage and some other 'chores'. Didn't get started on this 'till a few hrs. ago. I'll install it and put the bike back together in the morning. Fingers crossed.... :whistle:
EDIT: A few days after I installed it, I was looking the bike over and noticed the wiring harness was closer to the chain than I was comfy with. Took it back out and rerouted it out the top instead of out the bottom left side. Didn't get a pic... sorry.

Last edited:
You know what I love about this? You work all day, you’re tired, you don’t even start this project until a time that most of us are sitting in our recliners with our feet up. AND STILL, you knock out that nice level of craftsmanship that I would have probably spent days on!
You rock brother! :pimp:

I think you've got it beat. With all good parts but the stock reg my volt meter would jump from 00 to full charging. After changing to a different rec and the reg that you are using, all is well.

For anyone doing this with that rec...…..Heat sink compound can be expenso and way more than you need for this project. Autozone, Duralast or Wells Manufacturing, both part number SL203. You will get 2 small pouches of compound/putty, more than enough to do the job for about $3.

Edit, Also, aluminum pans/pots at thrift stores are a good source for aluminum plate.

Scott

Last edited:
Yeah, a VR115 is what I’m running on my ‘72 and ‘76.

Having said that , I wasn’t aware that there was any difference in voltage regulators.

Took her out for about an hour and a half..... volts were rock steady at 14.5V. I'll take it! :D
This is actually her first time out where we ventured beyond the 'hood. Didn't want to go beyond that 'till I knew my charging was solid....
About a 15 mile interstate blast, 30 miles of country twisties and and another 10-15 mile interstate buzz back home.
She behaved beautifully. Not the first sign of a sputter from the carbs... and I ran her hard up through the gears several times... Nuttin' fell off. :rolleyes:.... and nary a wiff of oil on the outside... dry as a bone. In short, I'm plum tickled.

Smithville Lake, north of Kansas city. The other bike is my neighbor Jeff's R1200 Beemer. He said she sounded sweet when he rode behind me. :smoke:

IMG_20190626_193309.jpg

IMG_20190626_193404.jpg

Yay Jim! Now your bike feels done! Ready for the open road.
Yeah... gonna go over it tomorrow and check everything, but it does feel solid and ready for duty. My knee on the other hand.... :( was almost locked up solid after an hour and a half.
I gotta get busy on new pegs.

Looks and sounds great Jim - nicely done! On the knee - yup, I’m with you on that one. I have found that a good warm soak in the evening helps - a bit.
...now, about those handlebars....:D
Cheers,
Pete

Hi Pete,
sometimes it ain't convenient to ease your aching knee by stripping off and hitting the tub.
Alva uses a microwaveable bean bag to apply dry heat.
OTOH (1) Alva finds that her "frozen donut" plastic cold packs ease her knees better than hot packs.
OTOH (2) Me too with hating the rototiller bars but there's some as actually prefer that riding position.
Who are we to judge them, eh?

Very nice Jim. I am glad you like the sound of those Commando style mufflers as stock. The more I hear mine, the more I like 'em.
Soon you'll be on Medicare, so I hope you take care of you knee then. I will be watching how you tackle your 'forward controls' addition.
I'm also glad it stopped raining....for a while anyway.:)

Back