Jim's 1980 SG Miss September

They were soaked in brake fluid when I got the bike
Jim
If you were servicing the brakes on a plane and the pads were soaked in brake fluid what would have been the SOP.

Jim
If you were servicing the brakes on a plane and the pads were soaked in brake fluid what would have been the SOP.
Well... unbelievably, pads for a lightplane are dirt cheap compared to an XS. You actually drill out the old pad and rivet a new one to the plate. The pads are about 5 bucks each and rivets about a dime. Used to keep a stock in my rollaway.... about a 15 min. job.
Yeah. I'll admit to trying to be a cheap sob on the resto. :whistle:

06-16955a.jpg
06-02882.jpg

Well, I'd say it's a little late for that, lol. But like you, I try to make as many old parts work for me as I can. My 1/2" MC swap went well. A used MC from a Vision off eBay ($16), I cleaned it all up, honed the cylinder a little, didn't replace any seals, and it pumped up leak-free in about 10 minutes. I wasn't getting any pressure at first and thought maybe it did need new seals, but then it built up. It's as I had hoped it would be - better "feel" and more progression than the stock 14mm unit, but not quite as much lever travel as an 11mm unit. Truth be told, I've grown used to the 11mm unit on the other bike and all the travel doesn't bother me much any more. I also "fixed" it, lol. Turns out a big part of the problem was the lever, it was bent. It wasn't bent out or up or down, it was bent straight. The gentle curve most levers have? This one didn't curve. So, I clamped it in a vice and gave it a couple good whacks with a big rubber mallet. Now it curves out as it should and doesn't pull in almost to the grip like it used to.

Fork bag finally showed up. It's actually quiet well made.... and smells awesome.
Followed Scott's lead and used zip ties. Wrapped 2 layers of black gorilla tape around the forks and used 3 good quality ties per side. I think that'll work just fine.
I now have storage space for my reg. and ins. documents... and maybe a pack of gum... :cool:

docs.jpg

ziptie.jpg

done.jpg

Last edited:
On a group ride with the family my GoldWing trunk becomes the lockable compartment for everyone's handguns at certain stops. They all lineup behind my bike with their hands down their pants. I see no need to carry with all of this firepower around me. Ah, safer, simpler times.

Dual Disc Front Brakes. A Start To A Better Stop. :D
So, Randy (@Machine ) has a left front brake caliper headed my way. Better get busy....
Forum member @thelowlife wrote a thread way back in 2011 with various patterns for drilling rotors. He even included a scale for checking your printout. I scaled 'em a tad small at 99.5%. That worked out perfect. Printed 'em out and started cuttin'...

Pattern Paper.jpg

As was pointed out in the thread, to cover all the swept area, you need to delete the inner hole and add an outer. Taped 'em in place...

Layout.jpg

.... and center punched all the holes.

Center Punch.jpg

I decided on 1/4" holes... if for no other reason than I have plenty of 1/4" drill bits. Yeah... I know, cheap sob ain't I? :rolleyes:
Set the first rotor on the drill press and went to town....

Hole Start.jpg

84 holes later....

84 Holes.jpg

Not sure how long it took. Several hrs maybe. Start to finish with the same drill bit.
Drill bit says it can do both rotors... but we all know how drill bits lie. :er: We'll see. One down, one to go.

Last edited:
WARNING, anyone using those printed templates, THERE ARE MAJOR FLAWS. I printed and cut one of those templates only to see the flaws after center punching and drilling shallow 1/8" starter holes. Luckily I was able to mark and re-drill better placed holes from the backside of the rotor while removing the badly placed starter holes on the front of the rotor.

Scott

Jim, looks like you caught the flaws or used a different template than I did.

Back