Jim's 1980 SG Miss September

JimD54, could I trouble you for a few quick photos and measurements? Specifically, the rear master cylinder mounting on the frame. I'm planning on converting my '82 HS to rear disc using factory parts. I just need to know where to weld the mounts, etc..

And looking absolutely fantastic!!

also Jim D. :)
Thanks Jim.
Gimmie a day or two and I'll get you some numbers. You want metric or inches?

that looks cracking Jim.... trouble is now you are going to need to see a 3 day dry weather forecast before taking her out for a blast . ....just thinking of all that road grit getting into every nook and cranny arghhhh :mad:......

Yeah, it's a CST. The guy I bought the bike from had em mounted the day before I picked the bike up. Still has nubs on the tread.

that looks cracking Jim.... trouble is now you are going to need to see a 3 day dry weather forecast before taking her out for a blast . ....just thinking of all that road grit getting into every nook and cranny arghhhh :mad:......
Thanks Peanut. Yeah... I figure it'll get a good clean and polish in the spring when I drag it out and the fall when I put it away. In between.... I'll just ride it

Back to the Engine....
Cases are split. Everything looks good so far. Put about a gazillion hrs. into cleaning the cases. Burnt up a stupid amount of Dremel wire brushes... solvent wash, hot water wash. Rinse, repeat... blah blah..... Taped and ready for paint....

IMG_20180323_200447.jpg

IMG_20180323_200454.jpg

and shot em with POR15 gloss aluminum and hardener mix....

IMG_20180323_204539.jpg

IMG_20180323_204552.jpg

I've never shot POR products before, so I was a little apprehensive, but I'm very happy with the results. I think I'll let it set 'till Sunday before I start reassembly. Parts from Mikes should be here tomorrow... Boats.net hasn't shipped yet. So.... hurry up and wait...

Wow! That came out really nice! I was going to razz you about not polishing your cases. Haha!
But man that just looks so good.
Well done!

Thanks Bob. Yeah... polishing the cases would have been a little extreme.... even for me. ;)

they look great Jim definitely a practical solution for cases that are not candidates for Aqua blasting .
paint is going to look good for years and should protect the aluminium from oxidizing too .
Such a huge amount of effort in prep makes me feel exhausted just thinking about it.:zzz:

Back