1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Jim's 1980 SG Restoration. And Yeah.... A Few Mods.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jim, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge, is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Thanks Jim.
    Gimmie a day or two and I'll get you some numbers. You want metric or inches?

2. FB71

FB71 Expert Turd Polisher

No sweat, no rush, and either scale is fine. I'm used to working in both. :)

Jim likes this.
  3. TwoManyXS1Bs

TwoManyXS1Bs BBQ Hunter Top Contributor

Hard to tell in your pic, sprocket bolt lock tabs peened down?

Jim likes this.
  4. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge, is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Not yet. I "tweaked" em a little before before I torqued the bolts so's it's easier to tap em against the bolts... Just haven't done it yet.

TwoManyXS1Bs likes this.
  5. peanut

peanut XS650 enthusiast & inveterate tinkerer XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

England
    that looks cracking Jim.... trouble is now you are going to need to see a 3 day dry weather forecast before taking her out for a blast . ....just thinking of all that road grit getting into every nook and cranny arghhhh :mad:......

robinc, FB71 and Jim like this.
  6. jetmechmarty

jetmechmarty XS650 Guru Top Contributor

Is that an NOS Chen-Shin Hi-Max tire on there? :umm:

Jim likes this.
  7. Jim

Yeah, it's a CST. The guy I bought the bike from had em mounted the day before I picked the bike up. Still has nubs on the tread.

8. Jim

Thanks Peanut. Yeah... I figure it'll get a good clean and polish in the spring when I drag it out and the fall when I put it away. In between.... I'll just ride it

9. Jim

Back to the Engine....
    Cases are split. Everything looks good so far. Put about a gazillion hrs. into cleaning the cases. Burnt up a stupid amount of Dremel wire brushes... solvent wash, hot water wash. Rinse, repeat... blah blah..... Taped and ready for paint....

IMG_20180323_200447.jpg

IMG_20180323_200454.jpg

and shot em with POR15 gloss aluminum and hardener mix....

IMG_20180323_204539.jpg

IMG_20180323_204552.jpg

I've never shot POR products before, so I was a little apprehensive, but I'm very happy with the results. I think I'll let it set 'till Sunday before I start reassembly. Parts from Mikes should be here tomorrow... Boats.net hasn't shipped yet. So.... hurry up and wait...

KC 120, kshansen, MrBultaco and 9 others like this.
  10. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

Wow! That came out really nice! I was going to razz you about not polishing your cases. Haha!
    But man that just looks so good.
    Well done!

Jim likes this.
  11. Jim

Thanks Bob. Yeah... polishing the cases would have been a little extreme.... even for me. ;)

robinc likes this.
  12. robinc

robinc Member of the 'yellow meter gang' Top Contributor

Wow Jim, that looks beautiful! Nicely done!

Jim likes this.
  13. Jim

Thanks Robin.

14. spectra

spectra XS650 Enthusiast

Looks great was it shot out of a gun or ?

Can I send you my latest project motor to clean up :D

robinc and Jim like this.
  15. peanut

peanut XS650 enthusiast & inveterate tinkerer XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

England
    they look great Jim definitely a practical solution for cases that are not candidates for Aqua blasting .
    paint is going to look good for years and should protect the aluminium from oxidizing too .
    Such a huge amount of effort in prep makes me feel exhausted just thinking about it.:zzz:

16. Meddy

Meddy XS650 Addict XS650.com Supporter

Very nice Jim, coming along well.

Jim likes this.
  17. mrtwowheel

mrtwowheel Honda Etched On Brain Top Contributor

Looks great Jim. That's a lot of uglies gone bye bye.

Scott

18. Jim

Out of a gun.
    Only if it's prepped and ready to shoot;)

spectra, robinc and mrtwowheel like this.
  19. Jim

You and me both brother...
    Thanks peanut.

robinc likes this.
  20. Jim

Thanks Mick. Any progress on yours since your road trip?