Jim's 1980 SG Miss September

Amazing what you can do with a cutoff saw... a welder..... and a sacrificial C Clamp. :whistle:

clamp.jpg

OK Jim, I'll bite. What the heck is it?

Part of your new engine hoist?

This has got to do something with the engine installation?:shrug:

Yeah, it's the tilt mechanism for the engine hoist fixture....
Here it is mounted to my dummy engine. I still gotta clean up all the sharp edges... paint... you know, all that OCD stuff

IMG_20180520_213030.jpg

100% scrap metal. 'cept the clamp of course. But I still got a whole herd of them... ;)

Ready to Hang
Fitted the engine hoist fixture to the engine.... it fits.

100.jpg

Front mount attachment....

7.jpg

Rear mount....

3.jpg

Upper mount.....

4.jpg

And a couple of shots of the tilt mechanism.

5.jpg

6.jpg

Ready to lift!!!

2.jpg

Made entirely from scrap. Even the paint was leftovers from another project. I call it OCD Yellow :)
So.... here's the major sticking point. I've looked high and low for the better part of a week now, and I'll be damned if I can find the eng. mount bolts

WTF?!

I like that! Very creative. Do you have a wench mounted to your garage rafters?
Man I wish I had some method of removing the engine by myself. I’d really love to pull my motor from the frame but no way I can manage that. I’ve thought about an electric wench from H.F.
Great work as usual. By the way, you’ll find your bolts.......right after you replace them.
o_O

Nice work Jim! Man talk about attention to detail. You've even got grease fittings on that sucker!

Love the colour. Boy that engine looks purdy!
:popcorn:

Thanks Bob. It's a 1 ton hoist.

IMG_20180523_220054.jpg

Yeah.... it's overkill but my cherry picker is buried in the basement and I don't feel like diggin' it out.
By the way, you’ll find your bolts.......right after you replace them.
That's usually how it works... ain't it...:(

I'm guessin' that KS was thinkin' a powered 'tilt' mechanism....

MaxPete I have two of those types. One to lift a mower deck and the other drives the twine arms on a baler. It would not have occurred to me to use either as a lift. They are both fiddly to work with. But I ain't saying it won't work.

Back