Jim's 1980 SG Miss September

Not to mention the cost;)
It's fine Scott. I check it several times a day. Actually stays pretty dry out here in the garage. First sign of surface rust and I'll rattle can it till it's time for the real paint.:)

Don't touch it with your bare hands, that's where the rust will start.

Got a little progress done on the frame jig today. I cut the circle for the rotisserie lock.
Cut a piece of 1/2X3/4" wood and drilled holes 5" apart at each end...

17.jpg

One end for a 1/4" bolt. the other for the plasma cutter tip...

18.jpg

Drilled a 1/4" hole a little over 5" in on my sheet of scrap 10 ga. steel and cut a circle....

19.jpg

20.jpg

Sectioned the circle into 16 spaces....

21.jpg

.... and started drilling 3/8" holes.

22.jpg

Drilled the center out to 3/4" to fit the rotisserie pivot shaft...

23.jpg

Looks like it's gonna work pretty good.

24.jpg

I've got school work tomorrow, but I'm still gonna see if I can get the lock wheel mounted and a locking pin mechanism figured out. Stay tuned...

Ooooh, a plasma cutter! I loves me a plasma cutter!
Dang Jim, you act like you know what you're doing! Too bad you live in Kansas, I'm thinking you've got a pretty cool garage!

Jig Rotisserie Continued....
Because of the weld on the rotisserie shaft I had to put some spacers on the verticals before I could put the lock plate on. Got that sorted and welded the circle on and welded a 3/8" ID tube on the main frame. It works....
25.jpg

26.jpg

28.jpg

Gotta weld a nut on the end of the 3/8" tube and buy a bolt long enough to fit, but at least I can lock it in any position now.

Last edited:
Frame Jig.... Done!
Welded a nut to the lock tube...
30.jpg

and found a 3/8" bolt long enough in a scrounge bucket. Welded a tube and a T handle to that, and now I can lock the rotisserie in any position.

31.jpg

Since the base is only 24" wide... and a tripod at that, it wanted to tip over when I rotate the rotisserie to 90deg. So, I welded some 5lb weights to each end of it. It helped, but I decided to add and adjustable weight setup....

33.jpg

Cut the end off a barbell and welded to the weight I already put on and now I can add weight as required to keep the rotisserie balanced. Ground off all the rust and rattle canned with some flat black. The finished product....

32.jpg

35.jpg

Finally! Now all I gotta do is cut some plates to mount the SG frame to it... and I can finally get back to the restoration... Total cost, less than 20 bucks. Ya gotta like that:)

Oh... and happy Thanksgiving everyone!!

Last edited:
Thanks Robin. Gonna ask the wife to shoot a quick video when I start spraying paint so we can see it in action. Don't hold your breath tho... she hates paint.

Very nice job on that Jig Jim!

Hope everyone has had a nice Thanksgiving Day!!

Pete

Frame Jig.... Done!
Welded a nut to the lock tube...
View attachment 109558

and found a 3/8" bolt long enough in a scrounge bucket. Welded a tube and a T handle to that, and now I can lock the rotisserie in any position.

View attachment 109559

Since the base is only 24" wide... and a tripod at that, it wanted to tip over when I rotate the rotisserie to 90deg. So, I welded some 5lb weights to each end of it. It helped, but I decided to add and adjustable weight setup....

View attachment 109560

Cut the end off a barbell and welded to the weight I already put on and now I can add weight as required to keep the rotisserie balanced. Ground off all the rust and rattle canned with some flat black. The finished product....

View attachment 109561

View attachment 109562

Finally! Now all I gotta do is cut some plates to mount the SG frame to it... and I can finally get back to the restoration... Total cost, less than 20 bucks. Ya gotta like that:)

Oh... and happy Thanksgiving everyone!!
Hi Jim,
nice jig (or is it a fixture? I remember there's a difference even if I forget what it is.) And mostly made from stuff you had laying around.
Brilliant.
BUT
The jig's narrow triangular footprint has me worried. Put the 4th caster under it and on longer crossrails or that sumbitch gonna tip over.
Most likely with a wet painted frame in it and you underneath.

....or that sumbitch gonna tip over.
Hi Fred,
Yer right, it was tippy. That's why I added the adjustable weigh thingey. It's heavy, so when I balance it out with weights it takes a pretty hefty push to get it to tip.
I'm klutzy in that I tend to trip over stuff. The less stuff stickin' out, the less chance of me trippin' and knockin' it over.

At least that's the theory...;)

...nice jig (or is it a fixture? I remember there's a difference even if I forget what it is.) ...

Hey, Fred. Same thing was raised on one of the machinists forums. They explain it as:

Jig - Primary purpose is for guiding a tool, like a dovetail jig.

Fixture - Holds a workpiece, like Jim's exercise machine here....

like Jim's exercise machine here....
You been talkin' to my wife. She called it that too;)
Jig - Primary purpose is for guiding a tool, like a dovetail jig.
In the aviation world, we used parts that had "jig holes." They were the holes that held it in the jig during manufacture.
And we used "drill fixtures" for precision drilling on stuff like jet engine mounts.... Guess it also depends on what world you worked in.
EDIT: Think I'll just call it the "frame holder together thingy" from now on:)

Well done and very tidy. Now that you are nearly finished the construction phase, what paint systems will you use for adhesion to metal and chip/scratch resistance? Are etch primers necessary or are there better options? I ask this because I plan to recondition my frame in a year or two.

Thank you for any views you or others can provide.

Back