Jim's 1980 SG Miss September

Hey Jim, was out snooping around at some surplus goodies this morning and saw this kit to add a 12V socket. Thought, hey that kind of idea would work for a voltmeter. Then thought hey I know someone wantin' to do that.

Maybe rig up an offset plate and spin a weatherproofing bucket up on your lathe to thread onto the gauge?

screenshot_20171207_133926.jpg

Thanks for thinkin' of me Robin! That would be pretty simple to do.
I'm still ponderin'....
Ran across this handlebar clamp at MikesXS...

37-0002.jpg

For less than 20 bucks.... might try and incorporate the gauge into the center of that.

I'm starting to think 2M's OCD comment the other day is closer to the mark than not....
This is the lower left engine mount....
MVIMG_20171219_170524.jpg

Once the bike is put together, you won't see it. So, why did I fill it in? Only conclusion I can reach.... is OCD. Somebody help me....

I feel you Jim, I spent some quality time today cleaning between my engines fins with tiny little wire brush Dremel,
Then I broke out a drop cloth, laid it under my bike and laid on my back cleaning oil and road grime from under the bottom of the bike, then noticing that my center stand squeaks when it goes up, I pulled it off to clean up the hinge bolts and lube it, but got caught up with removing welding spatter from the sloppy welds and then taking a grinding stone in my Dremel and smoothing up the welds, then ....well it had to be degreased and sanded and painted....it's hanging in my garage right now. All for a part that hangs under the bike collecting grime. Sigh....
Isn't there a twelve step program for guys like us?
image.jpeg

Hey Jim. Did you get the 79 XS650 on the KC CL Mon? It was 250.00 and gone in a few hrs. Listed as Yamaha 650, not a XS650.

Damn! I missed that Phil. Guess I gotta look more often...

Sit Spot, Sit.... Good Boy.
Cleanup is done, "spot" putty on all the pinholes....
MVIMG_20171221_125145(1).jpg

Sanded off most of the putty and fill primer....

MVIMG_20171221_164538.jpg

Primed with epoxy primer....

MVIMG_20171221_181643.jpg

and painted with "Negro Intenso" Centari.

MVIMG_20171221_195613.jpg

MVIMG_20171221_195622.jpg

MVIMG_20171221_195550.jpg

I gotta spend the next month with the in-laws (OK, it's justa' couple of days... just feels like a month), so it should be cured up pretty good come Mon. or Tue.

Holy cow Jim - that looks like a one-piece die casting with a few threaded studs screwed into it.

Dammit, I'm coming over....

Back