Jim's 1980 SG Miss September

Mount it inside a custom made petrol Cap?? or perhaps above that big chrome nut on top of the headstock/steering bearings?? or in the top of the headlight bucket??

Must agree with gggGary, would look nice in place of the ignition switch!

Must agree with gggGary, would look nice in place of the ignition switch!
I seriously considered that Paul, and might still go that route, but for now I've ordered the handlebar clamp from Mikes. Gonna try that first and see how I like it.

I've seen comments here and other places complaining that steering tapered roller races are hard to get out when they wear out because there's not enough "race" showing on the inside of the tube to get a punch on. Not that I expect to wear mine out in my lifetime, but I figured someday somebody will have to tackle it.

Not being happy with the solutions I saw, here's what I did....

IMG_20171222_131419.jpg

I used a 3/4" stone on a die grinder to cut into the steering tube, angled so that a punch from the other end will rest on the old bearing race. Notched top and bottom, left and right sides in this manner so you can go back and forth with a punch and "walk" the races out of the tube.
Problem solved :)

Last edited:
I bet you are pleased you took the time to make that jig/fixture. It paid off well as seen by the end result.

Well done Jim!
Thanks Paul!
This jig is turning out to be one of those "how did I ever get along without it" tools. Being able to rotate the frame to work on it makes a huge difference. I'm probly' just gonna leave it on there for now to make assembly easier.

Nice job on that Jim. This is the first rotisserie restoration I have seen on a motorcycle!
It won't be the last either Bob. Soon as I take the SG off it, I'm gonna hang the XS1 frame on it a get started on that.

Yup.... google V Speeds.

The only way an XS650 could exceed Vne would be if you rode it off a cliff - and got it up to Voc - just before rapid stop.

BTW - that is a great mod on the steering head for the bearing removal - everyone ought to do that.

Pete

It won't be the last either Bob. Soon as I take the SG off it, I'm gonna hang the XS1 frame on it a get started on that.

Ooooh ......are you going to go all original on that? I'm already looking forward to that!

Ooooh ......are you going to go all original on that? I'm already looking forward to that!
I'd like to, but it's too far gone for restoration. It's gonna be the basis for my Triumph Speed Twin tribute bike.
Kinda along the lines of this....
48 Triumph Speed Twin.jpg

OK, I'm gonna replace as much of the hardware on this bike as can within reason. I picked up some stainless bolts. The quality's good but the manufacturer put their ID marks on the heads. Soooo.... out comes the die grinder and roloc disks. Cleaned all the marks off the head and buffed with jewelers rouge....
MVIMG_20171223_144256.jpg

MVIMG_20171223_145903.jpg

How friggin' OCD is that?!?!

Now that`s what I`m "Talkin Bout". Just by chance do you shop at AirParts over on Merriam Ln??
I been known to stop by there a time or two... I am an aircraft mechanic;)

Back