Jim's 1980 SG Miss September

The nuts and dust cap for the steering head were crap. Someone did a real hack job on them... probably with a plumbers wrench. So, a few weeks ago I ordered new ones from Boats.net. They're supposed to be here tomorrow, so I figured I'd get busy....
I drilled a #3 hole in the steering head....

MVIMG_20180107_163933.jpg

Threaded it with a 1/4-28 tap....

MVIMG_20180107_164827.jpg

and installed a 90deg zerk.

MVIMG_20180107_165454.jpg

I cleaned up the inside of the tube with a homemade cylinder hone....

MVIMG_20180107_170330.jpg

Sorry, didn't realize the focus was off. The homemade hone is nothing more than a 1/4" bolt where you cut the head off one end and use a 1/16" cutoff wheel to notch the other end. You cut up a scotchbrite pad and and slide it into the notch and chuck it up in a die grinder. Makes a great hone for wheel and master cylinders... tappet bores... you name it.

MVIMG_20180107_170346.jpg

Installed upper and lower races...

MVIMG_20180107_170403.jpg

And I'm ready to put it all together.... providing my parts show up tomorrow.

I used to - but just can’t now.

Oh well - up to +8C (around 48F) by Tuesday. Weird weather!

BTW - these mechanics tips (like that neat little homemade hone) are extremely useful.

Many thanks!

Last edited:
Before you assemble things, you may want to add a "grease saver" to the lower tree. This is nothing more than some plastic/vinyl tubing from the hardware store, about 1" I.D. (you'll need to check that), slid down on the neck. A 1' piece will do 2 necks. This will greatly reduce the amount of grease you need to pump into the neck before it starts getting into the bearings .....

7mRRBPS.jpg

Before you assemble things, you may want to add a "grease saver" to the lower tree.
I recall seeing your grease saver before. I elected not to use it. Grease is not that expensive and I have a pneumatic grease gun... so filling it's not that big a problem for me. There is one piece of advice I can thank you for 5twins, that was the recommendation to check out Boats.net. Got the new dust cover and nuts from them. OEM Yamaha parts. Thanks!!

Packed both bearings and installed the steering yoke....

MVIMG_20180108_151505.jpg

New dust cap and nuts.....

MVIMG_20180108_135752.jpg

And newly polished stainless hardware....

MVIMG_20180108_145219.jpg

I did notice when I installed the upper race yesterday that it stood a little proud of the frame tube and recall others mentioning this. That's gonna make the triple tree sit a little taller, which means the fork/headlight stanchions will be a little loose. How did you guys deal with that?

Last edited:
That wasn't an issue on my '78 Standard. I think the original 2 races with the loose balls in between end up sitting above the top of the neck probably pretty near the same amount as the new parts do.

I'm not sure which brand bearings you used, but if it was the All Balls kit, it comes with 2 additional grease seals. You do want to put the one on the bottom bearing but you can leave the top one off if you want. It really doesn't do much of anything. That would lower the dust cover and 2 slotted nuts a little bit.

Hey Jim. On all of my tapered bearing conversions the upper race was a little above the tube but it occurs to me that I don`t have any stock trees in use. If you need any of the rubber spacers or any chrome trim I have plenty that I`ll never use. Your welcome to them. Looks great so far.

If you need any of the rubber spacers or any chrome trim I have plenty that I`ll never use. Your welcome to them. Looks great so far.
Thanks Phil. I might have to take you up on that. I'll let ya know.
I'm not sure which brand bearings you used, but if it was the All Balls kit.....
It's the All Balls kit and yes, I just put the one seal on the bottom. Top has the dust cover... a seal wouldn't work anyway

I did notice when I installed the upper race yesterday that it stood a little proud of the frame tube and recall others mentioning this. That's gonna make the triple tree sit a little taller, which means the fork/headlight stanchions will be a little loose. How did you guys deal with that?
Bob, I remember you installed the tapered rollers in your bike. Did you have any problem with the fork stanchions being loose?

Bob, I remember you installed the tapered rollers in your bike. Did you have any problem with the fork stanchions being loose?

No, no problems Jim. The upper race does extend a little above the steering head. I can't recall now if the stock one that I removed also was a little high, but I kinda think it was. Anyways, it didn't cause any problems.

I bought and used one of those fancy a$$ed bearing drivers but sold it and went back to using this.
DSCN8572.JPG DSCN8571.JPG
iron pipe, old race, chunk of plate AND a BFH
Nothing gentle involved in getting the races fully seated.
Drive em in til the ringing noise changes pitch then make at least one more trip around with the hammer to be SURE it's fully seated.
Bonus; welding the old race to the pipe shrinks it enough so that it's a slip fit and doesn't get stuck in the neck.

Last edited:
Back