Jim's 1980 SG Miss September

So many states, so many....and so small...
Yea, but at least we have names for the instead of just calling them that territory up in the northwest!

We did cheat a lot using the same name just saying North/South or West!

We better get this back on the subject or Jim is going to get mad at us!
I think everyone should mail a nasty looking part to Jim to have him polish it up!

Fork Mods Continued...
While discussing the Minton fork mod, 5twins suggested adding a 1" spacer to the springs to compensate for spring sag. I've read several old road tests and such... and thinking back to personal riding experience, I decided to go that way.

Heh... yuse' guys didn't think I'd just hack off a piece of metal and stuff it in the fork... did ya? Nah... I tend to overkill stuff;) Besides, what's the use of havin' toys if ya don't drag 'em out and play with 'em?

I took some 6061 stock and made these....

MVIMG_20180128_150023.jpg

IMG_20180128_151423.jpg

IMG_20180128_152459.jpg

MVIMG_20180128_152713.jpg

MVIMG_20180128_162229.jpg

Did I get carried away? Yup, I'd say so. Did I have fun doin' it? Absolutely:)

Dang Jim! That’s pretty sweet! Call me crazy but I bet you could sell a few of those on this here site! Sure beats the peice of PCV pipe I would’ve probably gone with!
Very nice!

Thanks Bob. It took a bit of time to make them... mainly cause the Atlas is about 15-20yrs. older than me. Anyone wants 'em, I'd let em' go for about 20 bucks a set... any size you need. Sound fair?

The Atlas sez she's ready to go Bob. I can turn 'em out tomorrow. You want a 1inch rise?

I look at it this way to........ if someone wants them there going to pay whatever the price.

Nice little pieces Jim and like Bob said PVC would have been my choice to as I don't have a lathe.........maybe would have just used some steel I had lying around.

Jim I’ll take two one inch sets (one is for a 34mm fork and the other is for a 35mm fork - not sure if that makes a difference).

Pete

I'll do 'em Pete. Couple questions (one for you to Bob) does either one have the spring tension adjustment thingey in the cap, or just a cap. And Pete, I think I have a set of 34mm forks here I can get dimensions from. If not, you'll have to give me tube inside dia. and spring ID. I'll let you know on that but I need to know about the tension adjuster.

Mailman, your '77 forks differ internally a little from the '78 and later ones. You have a 39 or 40mm long tube spacer under the cap and about 10mm shorter springs .....

f7hXHI0.jpg

I guess you could add a 1" spacer to the mix but you have a few other options. You could swap on the adjustable caps from the later forks along with the 1" spacer, or you could just replace your spacer with a longer one (40mm + the 1"). 1" is about 25mm, so about a 65mm long spacer should do.

Hmmmm.....just a cap on the 34mm Jim and I don’t know on the 35mmm.

It is an ‘81 Special fork - so I think it has the adjuster cap.

5Twins - any thoughts?

Pete

Back