Jim's 1980 SG Miss September

I think you will like having it and wonder how you did without one before. I know I do, lol. Most seem to suffer from the direct sunlight visibility thing, mine included, but it's not a deal breaker for me. It's not something you monitor constantly like your speedo or tach, just an occasional glance or check. And the cupped hand trick is all that's needed to see it during those peak sun times. But, that's less time than you think, and even just riding through the shade thrown by a tree or building at those times is enough to render the gauge visible again. I suppose the brightness level is a trade-off, so it isn't too bright at night. I find even the factory idiot lights (neutral, turn signal flasher) to be like this. Sometimes they're difficult to see in direct sunlight as well.

I'm using this sealed, waterproof unit in mine .....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-Car-Mo...var=540919508204&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

I haven't tried fitting one into a Special dash pod yet but I'm not sure the oval shaped idiot light windows would allow the numbers to show completely. I'm leaning more towards an external mount in a little sheet metal bracket.

I haven't tried fitting one into a Special dash pod yet but I'm not sure the oval shaped idiot light windows would allow the numbers to show completely. I'm leaning more towards an external mount in a little sheet metal bracket.
Inside dim. is about 30mm. The oval window is a platic insert that looks like it will come out without too much trouble. Looks doable to me.

MVIMG_20180214_112801.jpg

I like it Jim, I think it’s a very clean install.
Now where did I leave my scrap landing gear?

Nice job Jim. Howard Hughes would have certainly approved of your rivets. I think sometimes our best detail work is never seen on the finished product? If this bike doesn`t '"Knock em Dead" on the 19th of May, we`ll always think it shoulda!

Thanks Bob... Phil
Yikes!!! That deadline is fast approaching....

Ha ha. I think I like it too Jim! :D
Really, it looks great, very cool.
Hey, any voltmeter addition is a mod so ya just gotta decide which way ya wanna go.
Yours is unique for a Special.

Well done!

Yeah I like it a lot Jim, I wouldn't change it. By the way, what's happening May 19th? A little M/C show perhaps?

Jim, I just re read your thread from the beginning, this build really is one of my favorites. I'm looking forward to your engine build. Just two things, the spider web in your tach? I'm pretty sure you have an ancient spider that's been living in your tach for decades. Here's your tach when you bought your bike.
image.jpeg
Hmmm, same spider?
And please whatever you do , don't change your " All seeing eye" seat!
image.jpeg
Really Captain , you're awsome! Carry on!

Well sumbich... Wasn't there when I rode it, so I guess I never noticed it during teardown.
My wife hates that seat. She'd kill me if I ever tried to use it.;)
Thanks Bob.

Got some cleanin' and painting done yesterday. A couple "before" shots of the front disc and wheel....

Front Tire Weight.jpg

MVIMG_20180218_151318.jpg

Cleaned up the rotor with Roloc discs and painted with satin black....

MVIMG_20180218_153925.jpg

Masking off the wheel was a real bear of a job. Next bike is gonna have spokes...;)

MVIMG_20180219_192932.jpg

After polish and paint....

MVIMG_20180219_222740.jpg

And (polished) stainless hardware to install the rotor...

MVIMG_20180220_121030.jpg

Phew.... glad I only got one more wheel to go.

Last edited:
Super nice detail work, as always Jim! It’s easy to make the big peices look nice, but as you say....The devil’s in the details! :thumbsup:

Back