Jim's 1980 SG Miss September

The chrome isn't very thick and has a rather rough texture too it
Yeah, I guess we should be thankful they spent the money elsewhere. When you make a bike that's affordable to the masses... ya can't have everything. I'll take the dependable motor over good chrome any day...

Yeah what he said! I was planning on bringing my bike to factory new condition too, when I bought mine. But I've plunked so much money into getting it up to its present state, I think I'm gonna just love it the way it is. I've often looked at the chrome on my bike and thought, man they didn't put a lot of effort into that! The chrome isn't very thick and has a rather rough texture too it, and my bike was not rusted or corroded, it's just rough.
Your bikes going to be a beauty!
Agreed;
I see restorations that just don't look right, chromes too deep and glossy, old Japanese chrome was never all that good. Some of the newer cruisers do have the good stuff.

Imperfections on a bike means it's not a "Garage Queen" and it gets ridden. What they were built and bought to do! Jim your bike is beautiful! I also know your going to ride the wheels off her too. At least I hope so...

always a difficult dilemma isn't it. !

Every time we introduce a part that has been restored to new condition or fit a new part it then shows up all the little imperfections around the rest of the bike. Little scratches and dings and dull finishes that previously seemed to blend nicely into the bike as a whole. Now that new part is sticking out like a sore thumb and you think ...''mmmm I'd better replace that part next to it as well .....

Then you've started down a slippery slope with no end....never quite satisfied ,...always questioning if you should restore everything to 'as new' condition.
With all the constant bobbin and choppin going on these days eventually there will be no original XS650 left on the road in daily use. They will either be in Museums or in someones garage under cover because they represent too much investment to risk riding them.

I have a 1964 Lambretta Special that really is beat up. Rusty and faded paintwork rusty nuts and fixings etc. My mind is constantly beating me up about restoring it , making it look more presentable. When friends and neighbours look at it they say ' when are you going to do it up? ' I can see in their faces that they think I'm too poor or ignorant to make it more 'presentable' they really don't get 'original' 'unmolested' 'Historic' ,they just see old rusty !

Part of me continually wants to respray it and restore it to its original condition but the other part says it would be sacrilege . I have a rare and important Historic vehicle in near original condition with all the patina of its 54 year life and I should do everything in my power to conserve and preserve it for future owners who will appreciate it. if I were to replace a single rusty nut or bolt or mirror then it would simply never end until I'd replaced or 'restored' everything. Then I wouldn't enjoy the bike anymore and probably sell it so when it needs replacement parts I buy used period parts off ebay and fit them and the bike stays scuffy but wearing its age with pride and dignity.

checking in. man, your bike is so clean looking. and as ugly as it is i dig that seat lol. nice and creepy. you're doing some great work here.

Ready, Aim....
Raincoat: check.
Faceshield; check
Stretching exercises for dodging; check....
I put the stock pullbacks on her...

MVIMG_20180223_162907.jpg

The last special I owned was over 20yrs ago. Back then I liked em. I lived out west where the "corner store" was over 20 miles away. They were comfortable for highway cruisin'. At least they were for me. I'll ride it for a few weeks and decide what to do about em' then...

Also, when I TIGed up the gaps on the swingarm, the heat bent em' in slightly. I expected that. In fact I measured the distance before I welded. I used a 1 ton bottle jack to spread em' back out to the correct dimension. Workin' on the cleanup and bondo so's I can get it painted.

MVIMG_20180222_154739.jpg

Hey Jim. Have you thought how your going to install the motor without scratching the paint? I`ve done it before but never with a starter bolted to the motor and no exh studs or side covers. A 2 man job at least? Looks good. At this rate you`ll have it worn out by May 19.:laugh2:

Hey Jim. Have you thought how your going to install the motor without scratching the paint? I`ve done it before but never with a starter bolted to the motor and no exh studs or side covers. A 2 man job at least? Looks good. At this rate you`ll have it worn out by May 19.:laugh2:
Thanks Phil. I got a trick up my sleeve...;) I'll put up some good pics when I (by myself) install it.

My one legged girl...
Front end is back together. I'm happy with everything except the fender... it's a ten footer. Too many scratches and dings for a resto. I'm gonna use it for now 'cause of my budget, but I'll keep an eye out for a replacement. View attachment 113965

View attachment 113966

Guess I'll add the fender to my (growing) list of stuff to change after she's up and runnin'.
Looks brandnew that front. Like how the wheel and the legs turned out. I don't think they even left the factory in that way!
Fender looks great too from what I can see. At a certain age we all get scratches and dings...even on our bikes ;-)

It'll be a 2 man job for me and I'm not trying to protect a fancy frame job like you Jim.

Am quite interested to see your plan.

:popcorn:

Huh! How about that?! Now maybe if you used an engine crane (chain fall, come-along, block & tackle, etc.) to lower the frame over the engine, it would be a one-man job.

those bars are great Jim really comfortable for cruising and just bombing around town and country lanes.
I've tried to change mine several times but always gone back to the originals.

Someone once said that if you raise both arms up level in front of you in as natural and comfortable position that you can and then look at your hand position .. those bars would slot right in and they do:)

As for the engine lift go for it . if a seriously overweight 63 year old can do it then anyone can. Mind you I was laid up with a bad back for a while afterwards lol:D

I used a horizontal bar mounted just behind where the cam chain adjuster would be, slid it in from the side and tilted forward, then brought the frame up to insert the bottom (main) bolt then let the motor back into the rear mount. The front, top and upper rear mounts were the last to be installed. That particular bike had a center stand and no rear wheel. Still a pain in the ass! After seeing your rotisserie I`m sure you`ll come up with something ingenious for the install.

As for the engine lift go for it . if a seriously overweight 63 year old can do it then anyone can. Mind you I was laid up with a bad back for a while afterwards lol:D
I'm the same age Peanut, and have done it that way before, but I have an "aftermarket" knee now. Not sure it would hold up.

Back