Jim's 1980 SG Miss September

Freshly rewound rotor is installed....

IMG_20180803_202253.jpg

Now where the hell did I put the stator.....:umm:

Found the Stator...
I'm sure there was a reason I stuck it in a box...... in the basement.... under 2 other cardboard boxes..... I'm sure there was.... :umm:
About halfway through cleaning it up, I realized I didn't have any before pics. Trust me the corrosion was horrible.....

100.jpg

101.jpg

102.jpg

A little wire wheel and rolok disk work, a scrub in the stoddard tank.... and new stainless hardware.....

103.jpg

Outer brush sticks out 'bout 1/8". Was hoping to find some NOS ones on Ebay.... no joy. So..... whats the best choice for aftermarkets?

Anybody?

That's a great clean-up job, Jim. Did it look like this 'before'?
75Xs650_4.JPG
Barnacles, my friend. And didn't I read somewhere, someone making brushes with old battery carbons? Like out of a 'D' cell? I get the "grinding to size" part, but how to attach to the wire to the carbon itself? Have you ever heard of such a thing, or is it shade-tree quackery?

It wasn't quiet that bad Tebo, but yeah..... pretty close.
Never heard of makin' your own. No idea how you'd attach the wire.

N.O.S. brushes pop up often on eBay, just keep looking. I laid in several spare sets already and for little, if any more than what the repops cost. Keep in mind that the '79 and older alternator used 2 different brushes. The inner had a channel shaped mount and used 3 screws. The outer had a "Z" shaped mount and only had one screw. It is the same as both your brushes on the '80 and newer alternator.

9nokSV2.jpg

OwmzpJw.jpg

9AnTrTU.jpg

So, you're looking for the 81611-11 brush.

Timing Mark Check.
Today I hacked up a spark plug and made a piston bump stop....

200.jpg

201.jpg

To get my degree wheel on the crank I had to remove everything I'd carefully installed yesterday....

202.jpg

Hacked a few more holes in the degree wheel for access and installed it on the crank. Rotated both directions to find TDC.

203.jpg

.... and set the pointer to TDC. Now I get to take it all back apart and start over with torquing the rotor.

204.jpg

So.... while I was puttin' the stator back together, I noticed how the wire on the brush wraps 'around' the mount bracket. Took my Dremel and whacked about a 1/16" off the bracket (green arrow). The brush now protrudes a tad over 3/16".... a 16th more than the 1/8" the book calls the minimum. I'll still keep looking on Ebay for some NOS brushes, but I can run with what I have for now....

205.jpg

It's all back together and torqued....

206.jpg

Back