Jim's 1980 SG Miss September

Sweet resto, Jim! A little quiet, though. Yup. Gonna need to open up those baffles...
what.jpg

I shot this video of the Commando's not long after I installed 'em. Just been too lazy (and forgetful) to upload it.
I think they have a nice tone to 'em. A little quiet for my taste, but I'm gonna wait for spring and put some miles on it before I decide whether or not to drill a hole in the back baffle as some have done.

In my opinion, it sounds just right, nice and mellow.

I ran it one more time with the Fluke hooked to the battery.... at idle (a low idle...'bout 900), peanut gauge reads 11.9, Fluke reads 12.4. Rev'd to about 3K.... peanut reads 14.0, Fluke reads 14.4. I guess when ya by from China... that's what you get. Oh well, it'll work... just need to remember it's about a half a volt low.
Picked up a spare TCI box awhile back, so I plugged it in to test it. It Works. :)
Went ahead and re-torqued the head... now where the hell did I put the upper mount bits.... :umm:

I didn't. So far, I haven't ran across a clear coat that won't yellow all over again. I've heard of people doing a clear powdercoat. Might try that on my next one.

I didn't. So far, I haven't ran across a clear coat that won't yellow all over again. I've heard of people doing a clear powdercoat. Might try that on my next one.
Ya your right I guess a little polish works

Shakin' Off the Funk....
Got close to 60° today.... and sunny. Me and the dogs went for a short walk... I think the cabin fever is finally breaking. So, while the test rotor was doin' it's burn, I decided to pay some attention to my girlfriend....

I'd stripped the tank last fall and started the bodywork. Finished it up today. Tank is ready for prime and paint.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Also made the tank fixture last fall. It allows me to easily get paint inside the tunnel. Check out the forward mounts... the hanger brackets from the EMGO Commando's. :rolleyes:

4.jpg

3.jpg

The left sidecover had that gawdawful orange/gold metalflake on it...'bout a half an inch thick...:rolleyes: Took forever to sand it off...

5.jpg

7.jpg

Right one was trashed. I picked up a replacement that still had the original paint on it. It cleaned up much faster.

8.jpg

Supposed to be warm this next week, so hopefully... fingers crossed... prime and paint time.

Back