1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Jim's Speed Twin Build

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jim, May 25, 2019.

1. Jim

Jim The thrill of victory and da agony of da feet. Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

The SG build is winding down. The only major item left is making the the forward pegs and controls... and I'm still ponderin' on how to do that. I'll get it legal this coming week and put some miles on it while ponderin'. So.... time to start the next one. Here's what I'm starting with....

1.jpg

3.jpg
    It's an eighty something special frame with a seventy something engine. The engine even has compression on both cylinders. I've got 2 more engines so, this may not be the one I go with. Still working out the details.
    I've had these down in the shed for the past 6-8yrs....

4.jpg

XS1 wheels and brakes that are in pretty good shape... very little rust on the chrome.

During the SG build I made a rotisserie frame jig. It made painting the frame a lot easier.... but I was always building the jig for this project... and the next...:rolleyes:

So.... drum roll please.... here's what I'm going for... a late 40's early 50' Triumph Speed Twin look.

img4141-1510761856083.jpg

Or maybe even this.....

11380779.jpg

After a year and a half of a restoration and all the detail work that goes with it, I'm ready for a build project that allows me a little more latitude on where to go. Should be an interesting journey.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  2. Jim

Jim The thrill of victory and da agony of da feet. Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
    gggGary and TwoManyXS1Bs like this.
  3. TwoManyXS1Bs

TwoManyXS1Bs BBQ Hunter Top Contributor

gggGary and Jim like this.
  4. OHRider

OHRider XS650 Addict XS650.com Supporter

Jim have fun with the build :) I am working on a SR500. My goal is 60s British Scrambler.

MrBultaco, Jim, Mailman and 2 others like this.
  5. Machine

Machine Race the wind Top Contributor

249C271D-150A-4982-88C9-E46A03EBC0AC.gif
    Seems members here are willing & wanting to be in the hunt, sourcing parts for your Speed Twin theme project. This is going to be a blast to watch !

TwoManyXS1Bs, Jim and Mailman like this.
  6. Jim

I like that idea. Do you have a build thread?
    This the look you're going for?

bsa-441-victor-special-06.jpg

RC4MAN, OHRider, Moabite and 3 others like this.
  7. Jim

Slight change of plan... going to use this frame....

IMG_20190526_162303.jpg

82 Special. Reason I'm gonna use this one is that I have a title for it. It'll make life a little easier.
    Gazillion spoke wheels are for sale..... Anyone?

RC4MAN, Paul Sutton, Moabite and 4 others like this.
  8. geedubya

geedubya geedubya Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

G'day Jim,

Ditch the tiller bars and definitely fit the chair.

GW

Jim likes this.
  9. yellowvibe

yellowvibe XS650 New Member

Would love to see a Triumph Speed Twin build. :)

Bigfeet, peterg, MrBultaco and 2 others like this.
  10. OHRider

OHRider XS650 Addict XS650.com Supporter

Yes this what I am going for. Nothing here some stuff on the SR500 form.

Jim likes this.
  11. Jim

Got a link?
    Also... feel free to throw some pics in this thread from time to time. I'd love to see how it's progressing.

Moabite and Mailman like this.
  12. Jim

Teardown.
    Unbolted everything from the frame today. Took it outside and soaked it with oven cleaner. That actually worked much better than I expected. A few spots to scrub... but cleaned it up damn good. Mounted it in the frame jig and we're ready to start slicin' n dicin'... :rolleyes:

IMG_20190527_173703.jpg

This is the basement workshop. Jig, TIG, plasma torch and all that good stuff is down there, so all the frame mods will happen down there. I'll bring it up to the garage for assembly.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  13. Jim

Also ordered this used monoshock off Ebay today. It's off an 06 Suzuki GSXR 750. Anyone have any experience with said bike?

s-l1600.jpg

Mailman likes this.
  14. Beags64

Beags64 XS650 Addict

This one's gonna be fun....:popcorn:

Jim likes this.
  15. GLJ

GLJ Ran through life like my hair was on fire 650 time Top Contributor

Going to be an interesting build. A monoshock speed twin. Cool.:thumbsup:
    :popcorn:

Superjet and Mailman like this.
  16. Jim

My bones are too old for a hardtail... :yikes:...;)

geedubya and GLJ like this.
  17. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

Well this took an interesting turn! Hey when you get ready to build your engine, there’s a good how to , in the tech section! ;)

Jim likes this.
  18. MrBultaco

MrBultaco it ran before parked Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Colorado
    I've always liked the early Triumphs. Looking forward to your build thread Jim...and I know it's going to be a good'n with your talent and innovations.
    Got to have plenty of cut-off discs.....and a grinder.

TwoManyXS1Bs and Jim like this.
  19. Jim

♬ The First Cut Is the Deepest
    Deep breaths Jim.... no hyperventilatin'.... there.

21.jpg

No turning back now... :rolleyes:

geedubya, 59Tebo, MrBultaco and 2 others like this.
  20. fredintoon

fredintoon Fred Hill, S'toon. Top Contributor

Hi Jim,
    yeah! An Amaranth Red Speed Twin-Steib lookalike rig. I presume the monoshock is for the sidecar suspension.
    I got photos of an XS650 sidecar subframe if you need them.

Jim and Mailman like this.