Jim's TOTALLY awesome paint booth!

We're 3 pages into a "painting thread" and ain't seen no paint yet. :rolleyes:
So... Gary, if you read this, would you be a pal and move this thread to the lounge? When you do I'll rename it and start a new "painting Tins" thread when I'm actually ready to start slinging paint.

Jim, I've been enjoying this thread. And it certainly makes the point - applies to many things but especially paint - that the key to a good result is preparation.

18ABD577-B4B5-43E2-9B54-32F4E2337C01.jpeg

It's almost like you can't have too much light. LEDs make it easy.
These were stupid easy. Wires were push in splices and a push in adapter where you just push the two housings together. We're talking wire strippers and screwdriver easy.
Just put the other side up. I prolly coulda' got away with one 4 footer per side, but as you said, you can't have too much light.

Years ago when I built my shed at the bottom of the yard, I dug a trench and buried 220 power lines and an air line so I could put my compressor down there. It turned out to be an imperfect solution. Since there's no heat down there, the air line would freeze up solid in the middle of winter and I'd be stuck running my noisy as hell portable in the garage for the duration of the big freeze.... which was why I put the big one down there in the first place. Well... problem solved.

compressor slab.jpg

Airborne compressor.jpg

compressor in place.jpg

Nice job, Jim! Although that compressor might be on the loud side during operation, in such a "small" room...
Years ago, a friend of mine scored a similar-sized compressor, from a gas station closing, and put it in his garage. He did all sorts of auto mechanical and body work. He had "plumbing" to the four corners of the garage, complete with a canister-type air dryer. Do you have similar plans for your painting room? If you've got those lights, and an air filtering/ventilation system, you're well on your way! I can't wait to see some of the great quality work that's sure to come out of there! Keep us updated (you know we're nosy! :wink2: ).....

Nice job, Jim! Although that compressor might be on the loud side during operation, in such a "small" room...
Years ago, a friend of mine scored a similar-sized compressor, from a gas station closing, and put it in his garage. He did all sorts of auto mechanical and body work. He had "plumbing" to the four corners of the garage, complete with a canister-type air dryer. Do you have similar plans for your painting room? If you've got those lights, and an air filtering/ventilation system, you're well on your way! I can't wait to see some of the great quality work that's sure to come out of there! Keep us updated (you know we're nosy! :wink2: ).....
Yeah... air dryer is gonna be my own design. As far as noise, it's actually pretty quiet, relative to the noisy as hell oil-less one anyway. None the less, I'm gonna box it in with doors (ventilated) to keep the Db level down.

Years ago when I built my shed at the bottom of the yard, I dug a trench and buried 220 power lines and an air line so I could put my compressor down there. It turned out to be an imperfect solution. Since there's no heat down there, the air line would freeze up solid in the middle of winter and I'd be stuck running my noisy as hell portable in the garage for the duration of the big freeze.... which was why I put the big one down there in the first place. Well... problem solved.

View attachment 155348

View attachment 155349

View attachment 155350

G'day Jim from Oz,

That is a kick arse receiver tank.

No wonder you needed the shop crane to move it.

You must have a massive workshope area

Extremely jealous.

Before we moved here Used to live in Cairns Far North Queensland.

Had a 1/4 acre block with a shed a crick at the back.

Kangaroos over the crick until the developers moved in.....you know the story.

I survive with what I have however, extremely jealous, LOL

GeeDub

Yeah... air dryer is gonna be my own design. As far as noise, it's actually pretty quiet, relative to the noisy as hell oil-less one anyway. None the less, I'm gonna box it in with doors (ventilated) to keep the Db level down.

I'd be VERY interested in an air dryer design. Both the plasma cutter and the (one day soon...) powder coating system need dry air to work properly. At the moment I'm using long runs and small commercially available separators. Seems to be working at relatively small air volumes, but there's always room for improvement.

Back