John Underwood (xsjohn)

someone or a collaboration of people should compile his tips and enhancements as a tech tips page or forum. "John Underwoods tried and true xs650 mods and enhancements" i know i have benefited from his advice, from reading all that he helped others with, there was tons more.

i kept one of my bikes as stock as possible because he would rant and rant about my hardtail.

As several have said, I just looged on. It was unexpected. I'm stunned.
My condolences to his family. He will be sorely missed.

Horrible news , I am not too comfortable with forums ( in fact this is the only one i belong to ) but with in a short period of time reading his post i felt comfortable enough to send him a PM
regarding tire choice for my xs2 . Some people's helpful nature is apparent even across a forum. I will miss him.
peace

My condoleances to his family.
Ever since I got obsessed with the xs, about 2 years ago, I've stumbled over Johns tips several times.
A great loss for this community.

Wow. I haven't been on the site for a while, and then see this. I have personally benefited from his knowledge and experience many times since I first got my XS. A great man that will be missed by many. Cheers xsjohn. God Bless.

I just found out today. I am very sorry to hear that, it's very tragic in any case. My heart goes out to his family and friends. Though I have never met him in person I, as many others have, gained much knowledge from John over at 650Rider.com. He will be missed for shure. May his legend live on through the all of the technical advise he's given us all. God bless.

Very sad news.Anyone who uses this site or the old 650 rider site has likely benifited from his knowledge,I certainly have.Left this world doing what he loved.
RIP XS John

Last edited:
Always sad to lose a brother,my condolences to his family
Run with the pack
Ride free
Ride forever.

John you are greatly missed. May the wind be always at your back.
I've been off since 650 rider went down. Heard last week at the local shop.
Your needles made my bike run the best it ever has run. They are in my friends
'82, and spare set of carbs in a box.
Thanks again John, RIP
whynot2

XS John. Thank-you for all you gave to this and the old site. Sharing with those who have XS running through their veins. Ride on brother, I hear Streets of Gold are always smooth.

God. I just checked out this thread---I have to admit that when I saw the sticky I thought "Well, what had John stirred up now?" I'm a bit ashamed of that, but I think John would appreciate it. I wrote back and forth a bit with him, and I have a set of his carb needles on my XS, and.....well, what can I say? I feel, like all you guys, that I've lost a friend and mentor.

Has anyone thought of compiling these posts and getting them to John's family? They might be appreciated......

I'll miss John, both for his knowledge and his sometimes biting wit. He never suffered fools lightly, but his advice was spot-on. Dammit. Just.....dammit.

I was looking for the float height today on an early 80 BS34 did a search and John had the answer. (and a bit O sass) Helpful as always even................

Yeah, he's still answering my questions on the 650rider.com archives all the time. Still can't believe he's gone.

Wow - I was e-mail friends with John and did not know. He had my bike running so well - I didn't need his help this summer. I am still running a set of his needles - I was his guinea pig for them years ago. John was an invaluable source of information on carbs and the like - and I just logged on today to ask him another question. I really will miss him - He was over the top - but I really respected his opinion.
I really really will miss his input - My thoughts and prayers to his family. I have lost a friend today.

John, your passion for the 650 will be missed. I just made my way over here to try to get some of those killer needles.

Back