June 2013 First time builds Contest

I finally finished my sissy bar and painted my handlebars today. I'm getting ready to ride it to Born Free (1000 miles round trip).

D39C3CA4-500C-4F8D-B82D-FB423D52BF57.JPG

I would like to nominate my build into the contest. 1982 Street Tracker that started it's life from a XS650 Special.

Here is a link to some photos I took of it this morning in my work parking lot. I rode today :bike:

http://s1284.photobucket.com/user/teamkandy77/media/XS650/rightsidefront_zps7b87283d.jpg.html

A little background. I got this bike from my dad. He had cut the back loop off and added the xr tracker seat. I stripped it down installed the Mikes 750 kit. New timing chain and guide. Pamco ignition complete rewire. Built the battery box, new seat post cleaned up all the grind marks and filled with welds regrind :banghead: Welded and filled the whole where the back loop was cut off. New fork seals, cam seals. Gutted a MAC 2 into 1 exhaust muffler and split a glass pack and installed in the muffler. Cut a stainless exhaust tip and made my own reverse cone muffler not loud but louder than stock.

I soda blasted all the motor. Sand blasted the frame wheels case covers valve and tappet covers, tripple trees, calipers shifter foot rest, etc. Painted my tail section and tank. I custom mixed the Yellow and it has gold pearl and a hint of rainbow pearl.

I have a friend who does powder coating for a living so I took all my stuff to get powdered and he helped me do most of it. My daughter laced the rear wheel spokes from a 18" standard and I did the front 64 spoke :yikes: original to the bike.

What I did have someone do was I had OldSkool carbs :bow: work over my carbs. I also had the Shinko 705 tires mounted and balanced by a local shop.

I still need to polish my motor and upgrade brake lines and rotor. I am going to simplify the handle bar controls and get a digital speedo and LED tail light. I need to take the time and fill in the Yamaha letters in the cases. Those nasty rear shocks have to go :bike: . So I have some more to do but I don't think I will every say I am done with it. :D

Attachments

• right rear.jpg
    right rear.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 447
I second teamkandy
we need a second for dedede.
dedede cense You didn't nominate your bike why don't You second it?
Then I think we have enough for some voting!

I'll throw mine out there. Here is my build thread. I know it's not the prettiest but it is my first complete build and all the work has been done by me. I will take some more current pics after I get the motor put back in after doing a 277* rephased 750 kit. I hope to have it back in by monday.

good looking stuff you got going on there!

Heres my deal
Thanks for all your help and support everyone. I’ve had many bikes over the years mostly rats but I rode them and loved them. I’ve kept most of them. When my kids were born I put riding on the back burner. Well fast forward to last year and my oldest boy who was in the USMC calls me and says dad when I get out in the spring I want to build a café bike. I started looking and bought him a 79 xs. The next time I spoke with him he said he wanted a Honda, he looked at pics of the Yamaha and said sweet, I said too late I’m doing this one. I did find him a 75 standard which was mint, then my other son wanted in and I gave him a Kawasaki 550 LTD that I had in the barn. And that is how the father and sons build off started.

Being a 56 year old that’s worked in construction and education all my life I have good mechanical skills but I am no tech and troubleshooting normally leads to more trouble. I have a well-equipped garage, which some of the stuff I purchased for the bike build. I come from the mindset that if you have all the tools you never have to pay anyone for their work. I didn’t take too many pictures but a couple here and there.
All right enough bullshit nobody ever likes reading how great you are, so a bulleted list of work follows.
Sand blasted front and rear wheels
Painted wheels
Replaced front and rear wheel bearings
Drilled front and rear rotors (thanks to posts here)
Rebuilt and polished forks (thanks to posts here)
Rebuilt front and rear master cylinders (thanks to posts here)
Rebuilt front and rear calipers (thanks to posts here)
New ss brake lines front and rear
New axle bearings front and rear (thanks to posts here)
New steering bearings (thanks to posts here)
New handle bars
New swing arm needle bearings (thanks to posts here)
New chain and sprockets
Soda blasted engine
Rear loops cut off and filled
Frame painted
Tank and side covers painted
Emblems removed
Flasher replaced (thanks to posts here)
Seat recovered and carbs re built (by others)
Pod filters
New signal lights
New tail light (dime city cycles keeps breaking letting it flop around)
New gel battery
All new cables (brake, throttle, speedo, clutch, and tach)
New control levers
Took apart gauges and repainted
Took apart handlebar controls cleaned and repainted
Headlight shield installed
New grips
Replaced exhaust (used eBay units wrapped to cover imperfections)
Fuses replaced with new style push in fuses
Cases polished (not my best work)
New plugs and wires

All fab of tools, welding, plasma cutting, and grinding done here
All sanding, priming, sealing, and painting done here (urethane enamel single stage with Sharpe gun and fresh air intake turbine hood)
Soda blasting done here HF (what a mess in the driveway)
Sandblasting done here in homemade plywood cabinet
All electrical done here
Carbs done at oldskool carbs (could disqualify me?)
Seat recovered by Debs upholstery (could disqualify me?)

OK here goes not much of a computer guy or photographer. They won't be in order I don't know how to post bigger ones and I might need a couple posts to show all.
Thanks

Attachments

• DSC_0021.jpg
    DSC_0021.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 410
  • DSC_0016.jpg
    DSC_0016.jpg
    307.2 KB · Views: 431
  • DSC_0015.jpg
    DSC_0015.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 413
  • DSC_0010.jpg