Just bought a 1980 XS650 barn find for $300. Sat for 15 years. Tips?

Wirenutt

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Ok, so a friend of mine who is a flipper/dismantler found this and knew I was looking for an XS650 and called me - PO is in nursing home, daughter clearing out his stuff.

I have pics, haven't seen it yet, but the friend tells me it's in very good shape. I know it'll need a battery, carbs cleaned, etc. I have had bikes since I was 10, and I have a 99 ZG1000 Concours now that I've refurbed. I've also been a mechanic at independent shops and a service manager at a Kawi dealership, so I know my way around.

I'm just asking what specifically will I be looking at and running into with this bike. I had a 71 XS650 back in the late '70's that I loved, so I wanted one to ride now, plus maybe get wifey her license on it and ride with me. Any tips/suggestions/warnings will be appreciated.
34258840_1060762970746860_8224143106551840768_n.jpg

Nice find! Since it sounds like you know what you're doing, then really it's a fairly straight forward bike and super easy to work on. The 80's+ models got a few upgrades that will be different from your '71--mostly on the looks department (I believe they stopped making "Standard" models after '79 and only made the "Special" models thereafter) and also on the electrical side of things (which can be finicky with their 38+ yrs of use, but nothing too challenging and parts are pretty available still). Since the motors are fairly bullet proof, I'd start with the electrical stuff and then carbs (Assuming it has compression and doesn't sound like a bunch of marbles in there)...there's a whole section on electrical and carbs on here. Worth a read as you dive in.
Good luck!

Thanks! I've found out they went to electronic ignition in '80, went to 34mm carbs from the 38mm carbs from before that. Also the metering needles no longer have multiple slots. But other than that, they are all very similar, and straightforward. But I see there's gonna be some long nights in the garage with oldies playing on the radio, neighbors and buddies hanging out and "helping," drinking my beer and telling BS stories from the old days. It don't get no better than that.

Almost went out in garage to check to see my bike was still there but mine is a 1982 Heritage Special and does not have the "Highway pegs" and actually your exhausts look better than mine!

Along with things others have mentioned I would suggest new tires before riding, that old rubber can be dangerous. I personally took a spill just running the length of driveway, touched front brake a little too hard and before I knew what happened I was doing a face plant on drive and rear brake peddle punctured clutch cover and half of a front tooth was missing!

If you are like me I would leave the nice patina of age it shows.

Might want to at least do a good flushing of the brakes on the front, actually would probably be better to just rebuild the master and caliper and replace front hose, that last is something I need to be doing myself!

No worries about mashing the front brake for now - the front brake lever is the only thing missing or broken that I have found so far. Got it home this morning, hooked up a booster pack and... nothing. No lights, no horn, and certainly no starter. I have my work cut out for me! Quick question - the fiberglass/plastic side covers under the seat pop off at the bottom out of rubber grommets, correct? I pulled on them pretty good but I don't want to break off the tips, if that's how they come off. I'm sure the rubber has dried out and is just being stiff, and some WD40 should help things along.

Plastic side covers......using the fingers of both hands start by popping out the lower tab and then go to the rear mount and work that one off, then go to the front one. Mikesxs sells those grommets and may be available elsewhere.
Best to be gentle on removing the covers. Reattach in the reverse order from above. Always worked for me.

No worries about mashing the front brake for now - the front brake lever is the only thing missing or broken that I have found so far. Got it home this morning, hooked up a booster pack and... nothing. No lights, no horn, and certainly no starter. I have my work cut out for me! Quick question - the fiberglass/plastic side covers under the seat pop off at the bottom out of rubber grommets, correct? I pulled on them pretty good but I don't want to break off the tips, if that's how they come off. I'm sure the rubber has dried out and is just being stiff, and some WD40 should help things along.
Common issues with the OEM fuseblocks is loss of tension and breakage of the fuse clips, so an early electrical priority should be to either replace the fuseclips in the original fuseblock or to replace the whole thing and use modern fuses - there is much info on this site about both approaches. Another priority is to undo all connectors and grounds and clean them thoroughly. I would consider these two steps prerequisites to chasing down issues in specific electrical components or circuits.

Yes, start at the tail light and work your way all the way up into the headlight, checking and cleaning all the wiring and connections. It's no secret that these bikes vibrate a lot. It's very possible you will find several rubbed bare wires because of that, shorts just waiting to happen.

Yes as aldo5468 says the little clips that hold the fuses in tend to fail.
If you like keeping things looking at least close to original here is one option:
https://www.mikesxs.net/yamaha-xs650-fuse-box-with-connector-plugs-cover.html

Or if you are finding lots of problems with the wiring there is this option:
https://www.mikesxs.net/yamaha-xs650-wire-loom-80g-sp-ii-3g0-82590-50-oem-3g0-82590-50.html

Might want to ask if anyone has had problems with Mike's harnesses, I just put one on my 1978 but that was a harness that was bought over 10 years ago so might not be indicative of what is being sold these days. Always pays to ask.

WOW - looks old gal like a great find!

I agree with all of the above advice - go slowly, be methodical and you'll have a great running and looking bike (once you ditch the rototiller handlebars - just IMO).

To respond to KSHansen's query, I have a MikesXS harness on my 1976 XS650C (the redoubtable Lucille) as well as both the RH and LH handlebar switches and they all worked just fine. There was a little fiddling with the turn signals because the switches were for a 1977 which had the self-cancelling feature that was not on the '76 and earlier bikes, but it can be done and everything works fine. It seems that Mikes does not sell switches for a '76.

Looks like you've got yourself a ball game there Wirenutt!

Pete

sidecover tabs just one reason I keep a large tube of sylglide at every work bench. And yes spray can silicone at em and wiggle BEFORE you try to pull them out (for next time lol) This is also how you remove the footpegs. And thirty other rubber grommet attached accessories. Why do you think this bike vibrates sir?

It vibrates? I hadn't realized that. :wtf:

I figured it was just MamaYama rockin' my world.....:lmao:

Here is a nice repair of the original fuse box with a link to where to get the components. Scroll down to Post #27
http://www.xs650.com/threads/vlads-restoration-project-w-pics.34595/page-2
Skull good find, I was going to mention that I had replaced the clips in my fuse box but the source I got them from was Radio Shack and I'm not sure they are still around. The only difference was now the fuses that fit are the shorter ones that can be hard to find, and some places ask ridiculous prices for them, but do see Mikes and the place linked in Post#27 lists them a a good price. I'll have to order some extras sometime.

The only problem I have with the vibrations of my 1982 is up to a certain rpm mirrors stay adjusted but if I go a little high the right mirror turns out of adjustment and if I try going to red-line the left one does the same!

One advantage of the XS650 vib's is they actually make my Sportster feel smoother, or maybe I'm just going numb?

The one bike that I recall as having annoying vibrations was a K100 BMW I had out for a short test ride. Don't think I made any friends with the BMW demo team after being asked what I thought of the bike I replied that it reminded me of the RD400 Yamaha. I can understand a little buzzyness in a 400cc two cylinder two stroke but come on a 1,000 cc four stroke by a company that thumps it's chest on it's engineering abilities? What seemed worse was the K75 I rode the same day could not have been any smoother if it had a electric motor instead of the 3 cylinder four stroke!

Carbs need to be synchronized closely to minimize vibration in our beloved 650's - no way to eliminate; it's inherent in the engine design. Lots of info on the site about how to do; but any and all other mixture control or ignition issues need to be resolved first. Beyond that, there are various ways to add weight to the handlebar to further reduce vibration it transmits to the mirrors; just make sure that your riser dampers are in good shape first. On my first XS650, I pulled the grips off, rotated the bar so the open ends faced up, and then filled it with grout. When that set up, the bar was much more resistant to vibration.

Almost went out in garage to check to see my bike was still there but mine is a 1982 Heritage Special and does not have the "Highway pegs" and actually your exhausts look better than mine!

Along with things others have mentioned I would suggest new tires before riding, that old rubber can be dangerous. I personally took a spill just running the length of driveway, touched front brake a little too hard and before I knew what happened I was doing a face plant on drive and rear brake peddle punctured clutch cover and half of a front tooth was missing!

If you are like me I would leave the nice patina of age it shows.

Might want to at least do a good flushing of the brakes on the front, actually would probably be better to just rebuild the master and caliper and replace front hose, that last is something I need to be doing myself!

Yeah, I have a buddy that wants me to make it sparkle like new, but I prefer it to look like it's been ridden all along and "it is what it is." I'll clean it and get as much grunge off as I can, but I'm a rider, not a polisher.

I have disassembled and cleaned the front master cylinder and rebuilt the front caliper. The front brake works very well. A new braided hose may be in the near future.

I have replaced the rear tire and I have a replacement front tire ready to go on.

When I went for a test ride on the new rear rubber, the left cylinder cut in and out, and I found gas pouring from the filter housing. back on the lift, I was able to remove the left carb bowl, and the needle and seat work fine, but I hear splashing in the brass float when I shake it. So I'll be working on that next. Then the front tire goes on.

Next season, I'm going to have to dig in to the clutch release rod, bushing, and seal. The seal leaks and the rod flops all around. I see MikesXS is out of seals. As soon as he has them in stock, I'll order a few, and a bushing, and a one-piece rod.

Last edited:
Back