Just bought a 1980 XS650 barn find for $300. Sat for 15 years. Tips?

So, here I am 5 years after starting the thread. I have the bike in exceptional working order, and looking pretty good. I rode it tonight on a short 20-mile round trip to pick up some fish fry. I love that bike. I've put 3300 miles on it, averaging 50.9 mpg, with a high of 60.0 mpg, always using only non-ethanol gas. It literally has not missed a beat. I'd ride it across the country if the opportunity presented itself. https://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/yamaha/xs650s_special/1980/wirenutt/1034812

I have service manuals from Chilton's, Clymer, Mama Yamaha, and the engine book by Hans J Pahl. I have a long history of mechanical work on bikes, boats and cars and industrial equipment. I'm also helped by the guys who have posted tips and procedures on here. Also a valuable online resource is Dan's Online Motorcycle Repair Course. Sometimes hokey, sometimes corny, sometimes misspelled, but always helpful. http://www.dansmc.com/mc_repaircourse.htm

Below, I'm going to list as much of what I can remember that I've done to it in no particular order, but close to chronological.

• Both tires were factory originals, so they got changed out for D404s
  • Replaced clutch discs
  • Replaced mushy handlebar mount rubber cushions.
  • Replaced sump filter and upgraded to paper filter kit in place of the screen in the right side cover
  • Rebuilt carbs, replaced filter elements that were attacked by critters; replaced dried out intake manifolds.
  • Replaced every fuel line and vent hose. Added in-line fuel filter.
  • New Battery
  • Replaced destroyed fuse box with one from an XS400
  • Repaired cable from + battery terminal to starter solenoid. Had bare copper showing in places.
  • Replaced both brake rotors with drilled rotors from a parts bike I bought.
  • Replaced front brake lever; refurbished front master cylinder using no new parts. Front caliper piston was pitted - replaced.
  • Rebuilt petcock.
  • Upgraded horn from weak beep beep to automotive-type dual horns.
  • Replaced weak yellowish headlight with LED unit. (BIG improvement!)
  • Bought NOS seat cover and replaced old, cracked cover.
  • Replaced clutch pushrod to one-piece; replaced seal and bushing.
  • Replaced alternator brushes
  • Adjusted valves and timing chain a couple of times now
  • Replaced both sprockets and replaced chain with X-ring type. Also went to a 32-tooth rear sprocket.
  • Had side covers vapor blasted and polished; had tank and side covers painted original black.
  • All new gold badges.
  • Installed extended-length shift lever due to size 14 feet and canal-boat boots.
This is a pic from last year before I installed the paper filter upgrade and the LED headlight. You can see one of the horns hanging under the tank in front of the rocker box.

Attachments

• 20220620_151929.jpg
    20220620_151929.jpg
    433.8 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
So, here I am 5 years after starting the thread. I have the bike in exceptional working order, and looking pretty good. I rode it tonight on a short 20-mile round trip to pick up some fish fry. I love that bike. I've put 3300 miles on it, averaging 50.9 mpg, with a high of 60.0 mpg, always using only non-ethanol gas. It literally has not missed a beat. I'd ride it across the country if the opportunity presented itself. https://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/yamaha/xs650s_special/1980/wirenutt/1034812

I have service manuals from Chilton's, Clymer, Mama Yamaha, and the engine book by Hans J Pahl. I have a long history of mechanical work on bikes, boats and cars and industrial equipment. I'm also helped by the guys who have posted tips and procedures on here. Also a valuable online resource is Dan's Online Motorcycle Repair Course. Sometimes hokey, sometimes corny, sometimes misspelled, but always helpful. http://www.dansmc.com/mc_repaircourse.htm

Below, I'm going to list as much of what I can remember that I've done to it in no particular order, but close to chronological.

• Both tires were factory originals, so they got changed out for D404s
  • Replaced clutch discs
  • Replaced mushy handlebar mount rubber cushions.
  • Replaced sump filter and upgraded to paper filter kit in place of the screen in the right side cover
  • Rebuilt carbs, replaced filter elements that were attacked by critters; replaced dried out intake manifolds.
  • Replaced every fuel line and vent hose. Added in-line fuel filter.
  • New Battery
  • Replaced destroyed fuse box with one from an XS400
  • Repaired cable from + battery terminal to starter solenoid. Had bare copper showing in places.
  • Replaced both brake rotors with drilled rotors from a parts bike I bought.
  • Replaced front brake lever; refurbished front master cylinder using no new parts. Front caliper piston was pitted - replaced.
  • Rebuilt petcock.
  • Upgraded horn from weak beep beep to automotive-type dual horns.
  • Replaced weak yellowish headlight with LED unit. (BIG improvement!)
  • Bought NOS seat cover and replaced old, cracked cover.
  • Replaced clutch pushrod to one-piece; replaced seal and bushing.
  • Replaced alternator brushes
  • Adjusted valves and timing chain a couple of times now
  • Replaced both sprockets and replaced chain with X-ring type. Also went to a 32-tooth rear sprocket.
  • Had side covers vapor blasted and polished; had tank and side covers painted original black.
  • All new gold badges.
  • Installed extended-length shift lever due to size 14 feet and canal-boat boots.
This is a pic from last year before I installed the paper filter upgrade and the LED headlight. You can see one of the horns hanging under the tank in front of the rocker box.
Your bike looks great! I love it!

1685831562723.png

Back