Just getting started.

Unfocused

I Love Boobies
Reaction score
Coming along F'ing Sweet. Pg 2 for updates

Hey gang. I'm reasonably new around here, but been lurking for some time. My buddy and I are just starting up on this winters project. 1979 XS. Here is a photo of the first night of work. Just a quick strip of the non essentials and things that are being replaced.

photo-15.jpg

Currently looking for a 3 or 4" extended swing arm. Not having much luck, so guidance would be appreciated. I'm not going rigid as I have a real bad back. For the swing arm we are thinking about going with a mono shock mounted in front of the rear tire, sport bike style. What do you think?

Last edited:
Oh and here is my buddy's Kawi we finished last winter. He placed 3rd in Asian Extreme at the Toronto Custom Motorcycle Show. It was his first build

photo-10.jpg

Last edited:
Nice Kawi!(I have '78 KZ 650 project myself). As for the XS project, use the search feature and research monoshock and see what comes up. Same with extended swingarms. Good luck with your project!.
Welcome to our corner of the net! Thanks for the picture of your winter project. Please come back and keep us updated.

The Kawi KZ550 has a foot clutch, suicide shift set up. I'll try and get some more pics up of her. Thanks for the search options and links guys.

Got some more thrashin done the end of last week. Took the swing arm off to start the strech and pulled the motor. Here are a couple pic's.

photo-17.jpg

photo-21.jpg

photo-22.jpg

I have read quite a bit about stretching the swing arm but nowhere have I found a truly detailed set of instructions. I would have to guess that you need to widen the front half and narrow the rear to line everything up correctly. Right?

Got the clip-on's on to see how they would look. I really like them. Here are a couple more pic's. Going to take the wire wheel to the frame next and prime and shoot it with flat black next. Swing arm is still a work in progress. Been throwing some ideas around, but nothing has been set in stone (or welded) yet.

photo-29.jpg

photo-26.jpg

Original tank used to visualize size and shape of the next purchase.

Measured, checked alignment, and burned in some welds last night. Stretched the swing arm a total of 4". Need to get it back in the frame to figure out how and where to place the mono shock. But things are coming along nicely now.

What do you think?

photo-31.jpg

photo-34.jpg

The stretch is in. 4" total in the swing arm. What do you think? Please comment.

photo-38.jpg

photo-40.jpg

photo-37.jpg

photo-35.jpg

I think it's coming along very nicely. Faster than expected too.

Last edited:
I was thinking of using an under brace. The slug we used is about 10" long with a 4" sleeve on the outside to even everything out. We aren't done yet, so it may still be in the works.

Those slugs will make for a very heavy swingarm. Very strong, but heavy.
A piece of tubing that size would be just as strong but much lighter.
Leo

Tried to order a tank from Lowbrow today but was having trouble at the checkout. Well tomorrow is another day. I might just try and phone the order in.

That is loooooong! I second the notion of some bracing and favour a monoshock mounted with the original under-slung lever and dog bones, rather than a shock mounted high on the brace and fixing direct to the backbone. That would mean fabbing up mounts for the lever to the s/arm and another from the arm to the lower cross rail on the frame.
Btw really like the knurled pegs

Back