Just got a 79 special

Endee

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all,
Just purchased a 79 special last night. I've wanted one of these for years and finally found ine for a good price.
It runs well enough but the carbs not set correctly. I'm pretty sure it's idling high, but I don't have a tach to check actual numbers. There is also a big flat spot right off of idle. Seems to pull fine on the rest of the circuit. I haven't pulled the carbs yet so I'm not sure what anything is set at.
The front brake is also weak. I've never done brake work before so I don't know what to do there or if that is common with these bikes. It doesn't pulse or squeak or stick. I will squeeze the lever all the way back and there isn't much stopping power the the front brake.

Hi Endee and welcome,
why no tach?
There's all manner of carb "how to's" in the tech section and search button but the MOST important thing is to clean them.
Your described front brake action shows it ain't right.
As built the '77 & newer front brake will squeal the tire if it's reefed on but feels like wood because the stock master cylinder is too big.
There's all manner of "how to's" about that too.

Hi Endee and welcome,
why no tach?
There's all manner of carb "how to's" in the tech section and search button but the MOST important thing is to clean them.
Your described front brake action shows it ain't right.
As built the '77 & newer front brake will squeal the tire if it's reefed on but feels like wood because the stock master cylinder is too big.
There's all manner of "how to's" about that too.

It has the stock tach which sits at 1500 rpm with the engine off, so I dont trust it.
I was getting into the carb how too last night but was confused and tired. I have a 07 vstar 650 which I can strip apart blind and the settings are all pretty standard. I didn't understand why you would start with the mains and then lean out the he needles. I'm not too worried. After I pull theme and read it a few more times I'll understand.
I did a search on the brakes and sounds like a ss line and new fluid should do thee trick.
Glad to hear that just cleaning the carbs will help.

Clean the carbs. Lot's of how to's on the site. The key thing is to take your time and clean them thoroughly.
The front brake on a 79 Special sucked when new so a smaller MC is definitely in your future. Don't waste money on rebuilding the stock one. Replace it.
For the tach you can ignore it for now. I have an electronic tach I use for tuning and it was only a few bucks.
Where are the pics?

go all out. ss line, rebuild the caliper, maybe the master cylinder, and new pads.
Rebiulding the mc is a little tricky, but my first was a success.

It has the stock tach which sits at 1500 rpm with the engine off, so I dont trust it.
I was getting into the carb how too last night but was confused and tired. I have a 07 vstar 650 which I can strip apart blind and the settings are all pretty standard. I didn't understand why you would start with the mains and then lean out the he needles. I'm not too worried. After I pull theme and read it a few more times I'll understand.
I did a search on the brakes and sounds like a ss line and new fluid should do thee trick.
Glad to hear that just cleaning the carbs will help.

Hi Endee,
check out the list's classifieds to see if there's an XS650 tach for sale.
Any year XS650 tach will work although some have years will have different case styles & face colors.
XS750/850 tachs will read correctly but have a different redline. XS11 tachs won't work because they are electric.
Carbs tend to crud up over winter as the gas in them dries out and as the slow running jets and passages are smaller
they crud up the worst. Poor slow running is almost always fixed by rigorous cleaning as the first step.
S/st lines, proper bleeding & new fluid brings back the stock brake feel. A smaller area M/C or going dual-disk with
the stock M/C makes a far nicer brake.

Just putting fresh brake fluid in probably won't help much. Usually, the MC and caliper need to be disassembled and thoroughly cleaned. You will be amazed at the amount of crud and gunk you find in there. If neither component is leaking now, you probably don't need rebuild kits and new parts, just clean out what you got.

Do you still have the stock airboxes and filters, or is it running pods? Pods are more of a challenge to tune. Smaller master bore will improve the feel of the brakes.
rlee.gif

Back