just one question?

halfmile

XS Builder
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I`m getting ready to purchase the charging system and ignition etc for the no theme build. My one question is,
Who sells the genuine Pamco ignition?
What is a good PMA?
What is the smallest battery that will start the XS650?
What batteries are compatible with a PMA?
Is there a better system out there?
I know there are several threads that cover these questions, but!

My other builds use a Hugh`s or a XSCharge PMA and Boyer Bransden Blue Box with a 12v .8AH battery but all are kick start only. Any input will be highly appreciated. Thanks.

650 Central has the battery...it'a a 12V-8amp. $20.
min%20battM.jpg

I have 2 of these .8AH batteries. One in the scrambler and one in the resto mod bike but their only to tickle the Boyer ingition and run the lights with the motor running. Seems to work for that but probably couldn`t activate a solenoid let alone a starter.

I`m getting ready to purchase the charging system and ignition etc for the no theme build. My one question is,
Who sells the genuine Pamco ignition?
What is a good PMA?
What is the smallest battery that will start the XS650?
What batteries are compatible with a PMA?
Is there a better system out there?
I know there are several threads that cover these questions, but!

My other builds use a Hugh`s or a XSCharge PMA and Boyer Bransden Blue Box with a 12v .8AH battery but all are kick start only. Any input will be highly appreciated. Thanks.

If you are to have e-start you will need a real battery. If not you seem to have found things that work.

Yes I want to use a electric start. There are Ballistic, Antigravity, etc that are smaller in size but have the capacity to run the starter. Need to figure this out before making the battery tray.

I have fitted 2 Power dynamo PMA and CDI units to different bikes. One was a 277 rephase and the other a standard crank.
The rephase is a bit more mucking about to fit than the standard, but the standard timing unit couldn't be easier to time and fit.
They are very well made, here comes the but the manufacturers state they are only suitable for a lead acid battery and the alternator output is 150W.
Garry Hoos has them in the US. http://www.hoosracing.com/650750pricelist.html

I have also fitted a Electrex World CDI ignition only. Again pretty good quality easy to time and fit.
Electrex World also make a alternator and CDI unit for the XS 650. I have no direct experience with the alternator and CDI kit but have no reason to suspect it would be a poor unit.
Again manufacturer states only suitable for a lead acid battery and only 50W output from alternator.

Electrex world https://www.electrexworld.co.uk/acatalog/STK-467D_-_Stator_Kit.html#SID=826

Because of the lower outputs from these units you will need to do a power budget to make sure it will work on your bike.
I have had no problems in my dealings with the suppliers Garry Hoos and Electrex World..

Hugh Owens also makes a alternator and CDI unit but I have no experience with them.
Alternator output 200W, I have no idea if any specific type of battery requirements.

Hughs Hand Built https://www.hughshandbuilt.com/product/complete-xs650-cdi-system/

I have considered both as they are crank triggered units and that appeals to me. I too have bought from both Gary Hoos and Hugh and they are great guys to deal with. Curious as to what battery is compatible with the HHB unit. Thanks for the info.:thumbsup:

https://earthxbatteries.com/shop/etx12a

I'm running one of these, has built in over/under charge protection and cranks the bike while running everything the EFI needs. However when it gets into the 40s and lower you have to crank the bike a few times to heat the battery up. When cold the lithium batteries lose a bunch of power, but it recovers when heated up by the current draw.

Thanks Ratranger. Since none of my builds have a electric start this is going to be a learning experience for sure.:unsure:

hi 1/2m , How did you're other pma installs hold up? I installed an xscharge unit on mine, didn't like the look of it as it appeared cheaply made. It lasted for 375 miles before it quit. It's shorted to ground and the rectifier side of the ss r/r is bad also. Don't know which bit it first . Was good on output every time I checked it and one day after a couple of weeks of rain I got on board and hit the road and the brake light fail indicator lit up before I went a mile . Break and tail light were still working tho. No headlight clued me in. Came back to the barn and here we sit looking for a stator that's compatible with xscharge rotor and mounting adapter . On the ignition , the pamco is great. I have never ever cared for dealing with points.
Dave

Back