1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Just out of curiosity - Airplane Guys

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Downeaster, Jan 25, 2019.

1. azman857

azman857 '80 XS 650SG Rider XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

There was a time one could see 3(?) M-21 drones on engine carts in the Boneyard from the fenceline. One by one they disappeared over time.

MaxPete and Jim like this.
  2. xjwmx

xjwmx It's just the unknown. Top Contributor

U.S.A.
  3. Paul Sutton

Paul Sutton Still Looking Good Top Contributor

xjwmx, very interesting article. Anymore like that?

4. xjwmx

xjwmx It's just the unknown. Top Contributor

U.S.A.
    ^i was reading an article that was offering explanations about that navy aircraft footage that was declassified officially a couple of days ago. it linked to that patent (assigned to the u,s. navy)

5. Paul Sutton

Paul Sutton Still Looking Good Top Contributor

That Patent, if true, does explain how a "UFO" can make those very sharp turns at high speed and also display extreme acceleration. I wonder if reports of triangular craft is an extension to the Patent where three cones are brought together at their bases and the cone tips possibly cut off (frustum reference in Patent).

Why were those videos released?
    What was to be gained?
    Strange for this to happen during a pandemic?

6. MaxPete

MaxPete Lucille, Betty, Demi & Gretel: I ask, THEY decide. XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Now THIS is cool!!

Marlin72xs and Jim like this.
  7. halfmile

halfmile XS Builder XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

kansas
    Today on the VFT site.:thumbsup:
    [​IMG]

Mailman, Jim, Team Junk and 2 others like this.
  8. MaxPete

MaxPete Lucille, Betty, Demi & Gretel: I ask, THEY decide. XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

My Lockheed buddy knew Powers and told me that he was a good guy. He never really recovered after returning from the USSR in the prisoner-swap. As I recall it he wound up flying a traffic helicopter in LA and died when his chopper crashed due to low fuel while he was trying to rescue a person in distress.

9. thuban

thuban Horse Scratcher XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

I put this up once but it's still cool!

Marlin72xs, Jake650, azman857 and 3 others like this.
  10. halfmile

kansas
    Today on the Cool VFT site.:thumbsup:
    [​IMG]

59Tebo, Jim, Team Junk and 1 other person like this.
  11. azman857

I've listened to the LA Speed Story a few times on FB. Never fails to get a smile. AHhhh the A-10. The last plane I worked before retiring from the USAF. I knew that plane inside and out from my days working them in the hangers with the Phased Inspection worker( Depanneling, Inspecting, Fixing, Repanneling and Function checks) and on the flightline ( Launch, Recover, Refuel, Inspections and general maintenance) at Davis- Monthan AFB. Our hottest day was 117*F. It was just another day and one drank more water. Almost 8 yrs before retirering. The A-10 is 48 y.o. and still flying and kicking butt. Upgraded to "C" models with updated avionics and stronger wings. I see and hear them every day.

Last edited: May 10, 2020
  12. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

A-10s are such a great plane, I was worried they were going to be retired a while back, I think that would’ve been a huge mistake. Around my house the air is filled with F-35s and they are very cool, but I’d sure love to see some
    A-10s buzzing around!

13. azman857

20180112_175624.jpg Late '95, I had a chance to go to the Gila Bend Range and watch the A-10s do their BBBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRT. After the last flight of the day, we were allowed on the targets areas and I collected some 50 cal, 20mm, and 30mm rounds. Training rounds, not HE or better. If I can find the pic of the rounds I'll post them.

Last edited: May 10, 2020
    Paul Sutton, gggGary, MaxPete and 4 others like this.
  14. 59Tebo

59Tebo 59Tebo Top Contributor

You gotta love the concept of a an aircraft designed around a a machine gun. One with a recoil impulse so intense, it exceeds the thrust of the plane. What? It slows down if you keep shooting? Yeah. But what effect !!! Even move the nose wheel over to make room for other stuff inside... Yup. Gotta love it (unless you're on the "other side"). Nothing on earth does what the 'Hog does.

TwoManyXS1Bs, Team Junk, Jim and 2 others like this.
  15. MaxPete

Talk about needing a change of underwear.....

16. gggGary

gggGary I'm listening, change my mind XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Sorry Pete that's old, and a professional grade hoax.

17. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Yeah, that one's fake.... this one ain't.

18. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

Wow! That was amazing!

Jim and gggGary like this.
  19. MaxPete

Flying with not much of a wing...yeah, the F104 did that for years!

heheheh - just kidding, that F15 incident is amazing for sure.

when flying RC many years ago, one of my buddies had the upper wing on his biplane fail and he figured he was done for - but we all yelled at him to nail the throttle and he got it down...in two pieces....

Last edited: May 11, 2020
    GLJ, gggGary and Jim like this.
  20. halfmile

kansas
    Today on the VFT.:thumbsup: Jim???
    [​IMG]

MaxPete, GLJ and Jim like this.