Just out of curiosity - Airplane Guys

Today on the VFT.:thumbsup: Jim???
05May11-MilSpouseAppDay.jpg
Didn't know there was such a day.... I'll tell Sue I appreciate her. :D

I went to an Elementary school named after him in Tulsa OK. It is on a road that was also US 66. They are both open and in use today.

Last edited:
It’s gotten so expensive to obtain a PPL but if time, money, and space were no object, I’d be building a carbon cub now so I could go land on mountaintops and skim rivers on the semi-cheap. Kitfox is a less spendy option, but those have even gone up dramatically in the used market with the youtube/instagram popularization of bush flying.

When I got my PPL in the late 70`s a Cessna 150 wet with instructor was $25.00 an hour. 100LL was 1.46 per gallon. I can`t even imagine what that would cost today. I think my PPL cost me around $1,100.00 including solo time and ground school.:shrug:

FWIW, I saw the/a Goodyear blimp at Marana Reginal A/P from a distance while on an errand. By the time I got back, it was gone so no pics. Darn being a responsible adult.

I was flying a brand new Mooney 201 wet for $35 an hour. Even then I knew that was a killer deal.
Cruise speed almost double a 172 that cost $ 17 an hour . I remember 80 octane for less than a dollar a gallon. Plus we had a STC to run pump gas.

Last edited:
I so want to ride in an open cockpit biplane. There's an outfit near here that does "lighthouse tours" with one. I keep saying I'm going to do it, but Summer gets away from me and next thing I know it's Fall and they've shut down for the year.

I had a ride in a Ford Tri-Motor too back in 76. Noisy but, for a aviation enthusiast (nut) it was great. I don't recall how much it was. Worth every cent. I mean how often does one get a chance to get a ride in one? So few left, never mind still flying.

I so want to ride in an open cockpit biplane. There's an outfit near here that does "lighthouse tours" with one. I keep saying I'm going to do it, but Summer gets away from me and next thing I know it's Fall and they've shut down for the year.
went on an aerobatic ride in a Stearman a couple years ago - most fun I’ve ever had in an airplane. could not stop laughing at full volume the whole time!

Back