1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Just out of curiosity - Airplane Guys

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Downeaster, Jan 25, 2019.

1. jetmechmarty

jetmechmarty What should I put here? XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

:agree: :cheers:

TwoManyXS1Bs, Marlin72xs and MaxPete like this.
  2. That was many beers ago!:cheers:

3. The monkey in Supercar was Mitch! And my wife says I can't remember shit! CRS

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
    Rasputin and jetmechmarty like this.
  4. Rasputin

Rasputin XS650 Addict XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Something in Fireball XL5 was called Zoonie. Your right.

Marlin72xs likes this.
  5. In the 90's A10's used to buzz around Lake Sacandaga in the Adirondacks. And yes, they made a buzzing sound. Once, also in the 90's, I landed in Myrtle Beach airport, just across the runway was an Airforce base. Well I watched an A10 take off and he headed up at about a 45, then just turned on a dime and did a 180. That was around the time when I used to play the A10 Tank Killer game. I'm gonna build a 32 bit machine so I can play all my old flight games again.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
  6. Greyandridin likes this.
  7. buzzword

buzzword XS650 Addict

Any small plane fans in here? I'd love the time and space to build a Kitfox or even one of those absurdly priced Cub clones.

Having spent an inordinate amount of time in the last few years watching videos of people landing small planes on gravel bars and mountaintops, I'm regretting not finishing my license 20 years ago when I started taking lessons.

8. halfmile

halfmile XS Builder XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

kansas
    Friday is usually Garage Sale day. Glenda came back to the car and said, here I got you something.:) 319 pages of absolute Wonderfulness.:thumbsup::thumbsup:]
    book 001.JPG book 002.JPG

9. Okay, not in order, but here are my picks:

Hellcat -- I've read so many stories about all the kills these planes had.
    Bearcat -- So cool, so fast, too late.
    Corsair -- Bah Bah
    Mustang -- My uncles and my father's friends flew these in Europe.
    P47 -- My uncles and my father's friends flew these in Europe, also.
    P38 -- My neighbor across the street flew these in Japanese theater. He lost an eye over there. What a super nice guy!
    Spitfire -- A mostly canvas plane that kicked ass!
    A26 Invader -- I like it, sleek, fast and lots of guns.
    P40 -- Probably the least capable, but the Flying Tigers knew how to shoot down Zeros over China.
    F15 -- I think the 1st plane that could accelerate straight up.
    F16 -- I clocked many hours on the "Fighting Falcon" computer game.
    A10 Tank Killer -- Also clocked many hours on the game.
    Sabre -- Every kid loved this plane, as did I.
    Super Sabre -- Yes, a widow maker, but it looked cool. I think this plane killed more pilots than the enemy!

Yes, I know, more than 10, but I could go on and on. With my lack of mobility, I've been reading up on all the planes you guys have mentioned. I can't stop!!! :yikes:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
  10. xjwmx

xjwmx It's just the unknown. Top Contributor

U.S.A.
    This is an exciting 45 min video that's like one of those books you can't set down. It's the universal fantasy nightmare of your pilot dies and you have to land the plane...but real. He went on to get his commercial license

Marlin72xs likes this.
  11. Downeaster

Downeaster Everything in XS Top Contributor

Marlin72XS, you, Sir, are a gentleman of exquisite taste.

Marlin72xs likes this.
  12. Raymond

Raymond XS650 rider, fettler, setting out on a journey XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

No canvas on a Spitfire!

It was an aluminium plane and families all over Britain donated their aluminium saucepans to the War Effort. Doubt they got made into Spitfires though.

13. halfmile

halfmile XS Builder XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

kansas
  14. Raymond

Raymond XS650 rider, fettler, setting out on a journey XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Was the X-1 developed from the Messerschmitt M163?

Now that was a scary plane. Crash, and if the fuel didn't explode, it dissolved you . . .

15. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Bell wanted to as much as possible, use known qualities. But since a supersonic plane didn't exist... what to do? I thought their solution was brilliant, they copied the shape of a 50 caliber bullet.... which was proven to be stable in supersonic flight.

TwoManyXS1Bs, Raymond and MaxPete like this.
  16. MaxPete

MaxPete Lucille, Betty & Demi - I suggest but THEY decide. XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

ZACKLEY!

RE: Spitfire, I think that at least in the earliest Marks, the rudder and elevators were aluminium framed but covered in fabric. Marlin may have been thinking of the Hawker Hurricane which did have a partially fabric covered fuselage along with the tail surfaces (as can be seen in the photo below).
    [​IMG]

17. MrBultaco

MrBultaco it ran before being parked Top Contributor

Colorado
    This photo came in my email today (among many other interesting ones from the past)
    Boeing 707 doing a barrel roll, when questioned about this stunt, Pilot said " just selling airplanes"
    [​IMG]

18. View attachment 177231
    Yes, I stand, on one leg, corrected. The Hurricane had a lot of fabric and only the early Spitfires had some on the tail. Even the Corsair, Hellcat and Dauntless had fabric aft control surfaces.

This is my ride for the next few weeks! Beauty, eh?

image.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020