Just out of curiosity - Airplane Guys

If you get the fundamental purpose of the weapons of war, then you won't be torn about admiring them. They become admirable. At some level Buzzword realizes that about his guns. It causes an internal conflict that he resolves by thinking everyone is conflicted. But people who know what they are doing are not. The secret is to use your brain and eliminate the inconsistency. It may cause you to change your thinking, but that's better than stumbling around being "a walking contradiction".

P.S. Getting their purpose is also what makes it obvious when they're being misused. Very valuable, not that we can do much about it.

Very glad for you that in your advanced age you are free from internal conflict, walk without stumbling, and are able to use your brain to consistently great effect.

I had no idea that they were still producing F-15’s and F16 variants ( the F-21 ). I just read about the Indian Air Force opening up competition for their purchase of 114 fighters to replace their aging Soviet fleet. Boeing and Lockheed Martin are in the hunt as well as the French and Swiss.

I had no idea that they were still producing F-15’s and F16 variants ( the F-21 ). I just read about the Indian Air Force opening up competition for their purchase of 114 fighters to replace their aging Soviet fleet. Boeing and Lockheed Martin are in the hunt as well as the French and Swiss.
After doing some digging it looks like they may be making their own jets ?

I'd guess it would be the Swedes (rather than the Swiss) who have been marketing their SAAB JAS-39 Gripen all over the place. While it is a great airplane, the thought of having 30-40 years of moral guidance from Linkoping about the uses to which it is put - have scotched most deals. I think that South Africa, Brazil and Thailand have bought the Gripen though and SAAB is trying to get the RCAF to purchase it as well.
upload_2021-1-28_15-56-32.jpeg

After doing some digging it looks like they may be making their own jets ?

The Indians have done their own combat aircraft before - they built the HAL HF-24 Marut in the 1960s with the help of Dr. Kurt Tank - who had designed the Focke-Wulf FW190 in Germany during WW-2. The Marut looked a bit like a British-built Hawker Hunter but it was entirely of Indian origin except for the engines which were two British Bristol Orpheus afterburning turbojets. The Marut was supposed to have been supersonic but could not exceed M1.0 in level flight due to a lack of adequate power from the Orpheus engines. In the end, only about 150 aircraft were built and they saw limited use from about 1970-1980, I think.

rut-b6e60b61-23f5-4076-a1e9-9749367a6dc-resize-750.jpg

Things in the sky: Guardian (angel), Thunderbolt, Thunderjet, Thunderchief... Rainbow.
Lightning was taken by Lockheed. :umm:
And GE in the UK.
I suppose, back then, they weren't quite so petty about names as the car guys.

Without delving too far into philosophy - or politics for that matter - I can certainly appreciate a well-designed mechanical thing from the slide rule era for what it is, irrespective of its origins or intent.

I'm the same, whether it's a gun, a camera or a motorcycle.
Probably just as well I can't have guns here, 'cos it would be just another thing to collect.
Relatedly, in an odd way...
A few years ago the local Army barracks had an open day in their small arms museum.
Hundreds of local kids and adults were wandering around, playing with the items.
I was quite surprised at the heft and feel of many of them. Some of them were downright agricultural.

OK
Perhaps of interest There was a couple of spectacular Landings.
Not all of them with the pilot still seated
Fighter Jet as Earth moving Equipment

The saying --- every landing you can walk away from is a good one not sure about this one.
Most of it is probably classified . Some blame the pilot others the
computer aerodynamic control system not being dialed in.
As with Boeing MAX 8 maybe.

OK
Perhaps of interest There was a couple of spectacular Landings.
Not all of them with the pilot still seated
Fighter Jet as Earth moving Equipment

The saying --- every landing you can walk away from is a good one not sure about this one.
Most of it is probably classified . Some blame the pilot others the
computer aerodynamic control system not being dialed in.
As with Boeing MAX 8 maybe.

That Gripen crash was a software glitch - the airplane flies very well now that they have fixed it....we hope....

That Gripen crash was a software glitch - the airplane flies very well now that they have fixed it....we hope....
Just from watching the video, the pilot got into a PIO (pilot induced oscillation). When it turns sideways you can see the afterburner is lit... meaning the pilot was trying to power his way out of it. Another 20 ft of altitude or a half second quicker on the throttle and he might just have pulled it off.
The YF-22 had a similar crash... although that one had little damage... it flew again. On the -22, the software used too much gain on the elevators, allowing (inducing) the PIO. I'm guessing that's what happened here.

Last edited:
Just from watching the video, the pilot got into a PIO (pilot induced oscillation). When it turns sideways you can see the afterburner is lit... meaning the pilot was trying to power his way out of it. Another 20 ft of altitude or a half second quicker on the throttle and he might just have pulled it off.
The YF-22 had a similar crash... although that one had little damage... it flew again. On the -22, the software used too much gain on the elevators, allowing (inducing) the PIO. I'm guessing that's what happened here.

Thank You Sir interesting
II don't know much about aeroplanes at all and not of fighter Jets but I believed they were at the cutting edge state of art optimized on weight and then strength Not much margins
A landing like that -- taking an initial hit and sliding on its belly I would assume the Low Cycle fatigue with cracks and frame deformation
heat would make it a Museum peace .But there can be better life expectancy and load case recording that I or any one else knows about.
Accelerometers ??
These are not Cheap so a couple of man hours for inspection .. would be the first option

On the Swedish Wiki , > 400 miljoner dollar per plan

Back