Just out of curiosity - Airplane Guys

The Mitchell is an awesome aircraft too and I love this one's art!
ing2%2fwp-content%2fuploads%2f2012%2f05%2fimage059.jpg

Yes Sir
I also like the paint work.
It is controversial here to have ladies depicted with little clothes on , If a company nowdays makes a calendar .. with that types They will be on the news forced to Apologize.
And coming from an age when that was the Norm.
And then there is the Double standard in commercials aimed at ladies fashion .. That in honesty at Christmas times also got press .. putting a stop for it
Pictures on the planes are in my mind never that degrading and have an interesting Artistic idea ..
Would not surprise me at all is some fool demanded them over painted

....and our friends at Lufthansa did this to their fleet during the days of Germany hosting the World Cup of football....
upload_2021-2-1_10-36-31.jpeg

I was in Germany that summer (2005 or 2006 I believe) on business and the entire country was swept up in the WC frenzy.

The German people (invariably polite and respectful - but a bit reserved) were extremely friendly and even the normally tactiturn police were, as always fair and correct, but with an extra measure of cool and gentle in their admonishments of boisterous foreigners. My many German friends remember it as a "golden time".

Last edited:
....and our friends at Lufthansa did this to their fleet during the days of Germany hosting the World Cup of football....
View attachment 183976

I was in Germany that summer (2005 or 2006 I believe) on business and the entire country was swept up in the WC frenzy.

The German people (invariably polite and respectful - but a bit reserved) were extremely friendly and even the normally tactiturn police were, as always fair and correct, but with an extra measure of cool and gentle in their admonishments of boisterous foreigners. My many German friends remember it as a "golden time".
I was in the hotel bar in Leipzig when they beat the US team. It was impossible to express to them just how much I did not care. They are so wrapped up in it, my lack of emotion over it does not compute.

I was in the hotel bar in Leipzig when they beat the US team. It was impossible to express to them just how much I did not care. They are so wrapped up in it, my lack of emotion over it does not compute.

Indeed - they were completely bonkers. I was at a friend's home for a BBQ dinner the afternoon they played (I think) Argentina - somewhere in South America and the Germans were not expecting to win. The game was in Berlin, but stadia all over the country were being used and teams were sprinkled around everywhere. Anyhow, the opposing goalie had a very bad game that afternoon and the Germans took it 4-2 in penalty shots. The country went wild.

After dinner, I returned the 8-10 km to my hotel in the little town of Herzogenaurach near Nurnberg in Bavaria and when I drove into the forecourt, there was a large bus in the yard just unloading. I had no idea what group was in the bus, but the Argentinian flags plastered on the outside of it gave me a clue or two.

The people filing out were the Argentinian team....fresh from their loss that afternoon in Berlin. You could cut the tension with a knife. I walked into the hotel just abreast of the Argentinian goalie - but I resisted the temptation to poke him on the shoulder and say something like, "You sure muffed it today Antonio - didn't ya!

Yeah....I don't think that would have gone over very well at all....;)

Last edited:
Yeah... building a fat winged radial at the dawn of the jet age is a real "what the f&ck were they thinkin'"...... head scratcher. :umm:

Apparently, they misunderstood the market so completely, all the genteel passengers they intended to carry had private cabins on this huge plane. Bit before the pack 'em in thinking of EasyJet or Ryan Air that!

upload_2021-2-4_14-36-42.png

WISCONSIN'S 1ST AVIATION FATALITY, Mauston's Juneau Co. Fair, 1913.
As the first aeroplane to make an appearance in Juneau Co., pilot PC Davis was merely trying to land his craft back down but spectators were over-crowding his landing space. He was forced to make a late touchdown without enough room to stop. He took to the air again but the wheels clipped the very fence that he was trying to avoid, flipping the plane upside down. Crowds gathered around the wreck, one even grabbing a souvenir shoe that fell off the pilot's foot. Davis was rushed to the hospital and had a foot amputated. Though expected to live, he succumbed to tetanus 10 days later.
Three different postcards were printed by the town photographer, as disaster postcards were popular then.

Back