Just out of curiosity - Airplane Guys

I couldn`t help it. This one is just too beautiful so I reposted it again.:thumbsup:
03Mar14-LockheedConnie.jpg

My Dad worked in the engine overhaul shops of American Airlines 40's - 70's. He probably wrenched on every engine possible during those years. I've read the Turbo Compound models of the R-3350 engines were a plunbers nightmare with all the exhaust manifold sections. We had R-3350 engine in my Areo mechanic's classroom. That had to be 6-7' diameter. Huge!

Is this real? :umm:

It does look real at first glance - but the engine sound is completely wrong and the lack of spectators makes me think it is CGI. Also, the shadows that are cast on the ground are simply too dark IMO. The small gas turbines usually produce a bit of black smoke when running - not like an F4 Phantom - but still noticeable - and there appears to be no smoke at all from the tailpipes of those Sukhois.

The dynamics of the some of the manoeuvers don't look entirely feasible. Also, the flights are too long to be credible for model jets. They would need maximum power to be able to "hover" like that and their endurance would only be a few minutes (the volume of fuel consumed by small gas turbine engines at low altitude is astounding).

Propellor-driven model a/c can do that vertical-dance stuff because they can use the propellor slipstream over the tail surfaces to control aircraft attitude (i.e. where the nose is pointing) when they are "hovering", but jet's don't have that ability.

Anyhow, if its real - it is impressive, but I have never seen jets do it before.

Last edited:
The dynamics of the some of the manoeuvers don't look entirely feasible.

I know very little about flight control dynamics and was wondering how they could control them at such slow to zero forward motion unless they had vectored thrust for the engines. As I understand flight you need air moving over control surfaces to control your flight. I learned that from riding in the car as a kid with hand out the window! Point your finger tips up and hand goes up point them down and hand goes down. Try that while stopped at the light and you slap the side of car.

Vectored thrust nozzles are coupled to the normal flight controls so they appear seamless to the pilot. Were that real, you'd have seen very large displacement of the stabilators, ailerons and rudders. They never moved in an inch in the video. It's CGI.... and not very well done cgi at that.

Back