1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Just out of curiosity - Airplane Guys

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Downeaster, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Downeaster

Downeaster Everything in XS Top Contributor

Nope, that's a P51. P39 was a mid-engine bird with a LOOOONG driveshaft for the prop.

2. fredintoon

fredintoon Fred Hill, S'toon. Top Contributor

Hi DE,
    that prop driveshaft ran between the pilot's legs.
    Betcha that worrying that it would fail in service distracted the pilot's attention from worrying about an attacking enemy.

Paul Sutton likes this.
  3. Downeaster

I suspect that's one of the reasons it wasn't too popular. I also suspect it was a b!tch to work on.

Paul Sutton likes this.
  4. TwoManyXS1Bs

TwoManyXS1Bs BBQ Hunter Top Contributor

It gets worse.
    There's a cannon in there...

p39cannon01.jpg p39cannon02.jpg

5. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Paul Sutton, gggGary, Boog and 3 others like this.
  6. azman857

azman857 '80 XS 650SG Rider XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Oldsmobile was one of the makers of that 30mm cannon. Read it wasn't that reliable.

Boog and TwoManyXS1Bs like this.
  7. azman857

azman857 '80 XS 650SG Rider XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Let's not forget about the follow up to the P-39. The P-63. Same engine placement, just better/modern aerodynamics.

8. fredintoon

Hi 2Many,
    so, besides the ongoing fear of castration the pilot ls made to feel sexually inadequate every time the cannon fires?

Paul Sutton, gggGary, Boog and 2 others like this.
  9. TwoManyXS1Bs

TwoManyXS1Bs BBQ Hunter Top Contributor

Haha, Fred, I guess you'll need to round-up some Russian WW2 P-39 drivers, and ask them if that's what they felt while tank busting...

GLJ and gggGary like this.
  10. Boog

Boog Traveling Stroyteller Top Contributor

Three different ways a man can die wrapped up in one photo...
    [​IMG]

11. Downeaster

12. fredintoon

Hi DE,
    the photo only shows three different WAYS to die, It also shows EIGHT different deadly devices.
    The real question is:- Which way is most likely to let you die smiling?

13. Downeaster

True, and an important distinction.

At my age, a ride on ANY of them would leave a smile on my corpse.

If forced to choose, I'd probably go with the air-e-o-plane...:eek: May or may not be more fun, but it'd certainly last longer!

Boog, TwoManyXS1Bs, Mailman and 3 others like this.
  14. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

"May or may not be more fun, but it'd I'd certainly last longer!"
    Fixed. :lmao:

15. jetmechmarty

jetmechmarty What should I put here? XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

I like my women just the same as my motorcycles. Vintage! Both seem to have similar repair incidence, but both keep me happy.

Boog, TwoManyXS1Bs, Mailman and 3 others like this.
  16. GLJ

GLJ Never go faster than your guardian angle can fly. Top Contributor

That would depend on how through your "pre-flight check list" was on the female type deadly device was.:rolleyes:

17. MaxPete

MaxPete Lucille, Betty, Demi & Gretel: I ask, THEY decide. XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

One might think that the long driveshaft was a hassle - but my research revealed that it was actually quite troublefree and not a cause of great concern. The P39 had other problems - largely related to the lack of a turbocharger and so it ran out breath at about 14-17,000 ft. and the hassles of serviceability due to the layout - but the driveshaft wasn't one of them.

Boog, TwoManyXS1Bs, Jim and 1 other person like this.
  18. GLJ

GLJ Never go faster than your guardian angle can fly. Top Contributor

Stop by a buddies house the other day when I was out on the XS2. Hadn't seen him all winter. While shooting the shit with him I noticed he had a new wind thing in the back.
    upload_2021-4-9_15-46-48.png
    Asked him about it. Thought it may have been something his dad made. He told me he made it last winter. He had binged watched 12 O'clock high one day and decided to make the plane. He made his pattern from blowing up a pic. Said it to took a couple of tries to get the thing to look good enough. He had a question that I had no idea what the answer was. The question was what direction did the props turn, all the same or 2 one way two the other? If you know please say whether facing it or sitting in it.
    I thought it was very cool. He also said he had little gens in the motors and they were powering his beer fridge. I checked, no wires. Would not put anything past this guy.

19. Downeaster

I would think they'd be counter-rotating to manage torque forces, but I don't know that.

Boog, MaxPete and GLJ like this.
  20. jetmechmarty

jetmechmarty What should I put here? XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

I can't say with any authority, but I believe all rotate in the same direction and clockwise if you're standing in front of the airplane.

Boog, TwoManyXS1Bs, Mailman and 2 others like this.