Just out of curiosity - Airplane Guys

That particular design first flew in 1929. Jeff's airplane was built in 1976. Of course, it's been updated over the years, but the basic wing and fuselage are pretty much unchanged from the first design. It was built to be an acrobatic trainer, so yes, it's fully aerobatic.
Very jealous.

Not sure how I would handle acrobatics but I sure as hell would tell the pilot to let her rip

As soon as that turn & slip indicator gets wonky, so do I!
Turn_indicator_slip.png

I get sick if I have to sit in the back of the bus.

Last summer my friend Jeff, who owns a Decathlon, decided one airplane isn't enough. So he bought another. A '76 Great Lakes.... nothing to be envious of there, is there... :rolleyes:
Beautiful little airplane. He keeps it hangered in Topeka. We drove out there today to bring it back to KC.
The airport in Topeka is old. Here's an old stone hanger no longer in use. It's sad to see something that beautiful run down and left to itself. I hope it gets restored someday.

View attachment 197428

And here's the Great Lakes...

View attachment 197429

View attachment 197430

Yours truly strapped into the front pit....

View attachment 197431

And off we go. It's a 30-45min flight to KC's Downtown airport. Did some rolls and hammerheads along the way so we didn't get bored :rolleyes:
Nothing crazy... G meter never went over 3 or less than zero.

View attachment 197437

Because of the lag in my camera, I never could get an inverted shot. Guess I'll need more practice. :sneaky:
Here's the closest I got.... inverted in a barrel roll. In the top right corner you can just see the horizon as a slight blur. Notice the full deflection of the ailerons.

View attachment 197435

Turning final onto rwy 19 at the Downtown Airport. KC skyline off to the left of the runway.

View attachment 197433

Topped off the tank and put her to bed.

View attachment 197434

Overall, a most enjoyable way to waste an afternoon away. Got to help my friend reposition his airplane and got a little stick time for my troubles.
Winner winner... chicken dinner. :smoke:
WOW! That's really cool @Jim!

Kind of like thinking that the motorcycles that have the largest aftermarket supply of parts as being bad. Must be bad because so many parts are being sold for them.

The reason those markets are so active is because people like them and want to keep them running long after the factory has stopped supporting them!

That must be an old picture. I believe that's a United L1011 behind it. Those are long gone.
That particular L1011 is parked in front of the Airline History Museum here in KC. Here's the view from the other side of the fence.

Calendar 5.jpg

That particular L1011 is parked in front of the Airline History Museum here in KC. Here's the view from the other side of the fence.
Well, how about that. Is it going to be preserved or scrapped in place? Those were extremely sophisticated airplanes.
I really like the bike!

Back