just picked up my first xs650

connorjex

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I just picked up my first xs650 I have no idea what year it is I don't have the title yet (this is not a huge deal in Utah) I am just diving into what is available for these bikes. my plan is to make a café racer out of it so here we go!!! The motor spun half a revolution and stuck so I think I have rust in the cylinders so I guess that's where I will start.

Other's may differ with me but, may I suggest doing the body work first. It would be a shame to do the engine first and the body, electrical and brake work take longer than planed only to find the engine is locked up again.

Get a manual, online, Haynes and/or Clymer.
I picked up a junker with title some years ago that did the same thing. Timing was off. Reset the timing and she did it again. Further inspection showed that some of the cam sprocket teeth on the lower crank were missing.......yow!
Welcome aboard!

Welcome to the party, Connorjex! You will find everything you need on this forum to get your bike up & at 'em! The wealth of information here cannot be underestimated. You'll find the VIN on the steering neck. That's a good place to start. It'll tell you what year you're looking at. From there, you'll be able to determine it's pedigree. But before you dive in to irreversibly changing things, maybe start with getting things operational. Search for the "wake up drill", and go one section at a time. Post pictures (we like pictures, we're nosy!), and everybody will chime in to help you! Good luck, and get busy! :thumbsup:

Welcome. XS650s make awesome café bikes.
I am going to respectfully disagree with Azman. Get the bike up and running and then decide what you want. I changed my mind a couple of times and was able to make modifications while keeping it mostly on the road.
Where are the pics???

I will out some pictures on this threat later on in the day. This bike is pretty sad. I have determined it is a 70 or 71 though with a little research. Wish it had front disc brakes though

Welcome. XS650s make awesome café bikes.
I am going to respectfully disagree with Azman. Get the bike up and running and then decide what you want. I changed my mind a couple of times and was able to make modifications while keeping it mostly on the road.
Where are the pics???

I know how to store motors safely so i agree i wana see how many mechanical parts i need to buy first. I am ancery competent body man so that will go quickly for me at least

Back