just re jetted carbs and now wnt idle??

xscessivecompulsive

Live 2 Ride, Ride 2 Live
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I just re jetted my carbs, i went up to 140 on the mains and 30 on the pilots! I dropped the needle to the #2 position and turned out the mix screw 2.5 turns! And I unfortunately dont have my book with me right now! The bike runs great with about a half choke but as soon as so take it off choke it dies! any suggestions on whats going on or where I should start looking?? Thanks fellas!!

XsC

When you re-jet, many times that will change your idle characteristics so that all needs to be re-set. Turn your idle speed up and fine tune the mix screws. That 2.5 turns out is just to get you started. Best setting may be a bit more or less, you'll just have to experiment and find out.

5twins, where is the idle speed located on these carbs,......I dont have my book handy right now! Its not where the throttle lever comes down and catches the idle adjustment is it?? If that makes any sense??

xsC

Screw on outside of left carb that the butterfly lever rests on, sync screw is the one between the carbs .....

Adjust Screws.jpg

Turn the idle speed up enough so it will idle then work the mix screws in/out to find best setting (fastest/smoothest idle speed). You may need to readjust the idle speed during or after this process if it ends up too high with the ideal mix screw setting.

Last edited:
Ok, so Im sitting here in the shop trying to figure it out, I just pulled the carbs off and re checked the pilots to make sure the were clean, they were! So I put em back on and kicked it over, it will start but right after you take the choke off it instantly dies! If I back the mix screws out some more it will run and idle for a few seconds and then die out! it seems so damn close! I wanna try adjust the idle screw but it wont stay running long enough for me to mess with it??? What the hell could be going on here??

XsC

Screw the idle screw in a good amount which will give it a high idle. This should get it running without the choke. Then work backwards. Turn it out 'til it slows and wants to stall, then work with the mix screw

Just tried that littlebill and got nothing, I damn near bottomed out the idler, it will start for a second and then dies right out! It almost acts like its not getting any fuel! It will run really good with a half choke but as soon as the choke is taken off it dies!!????

XsC

I don't have a clue as to what carb set you're working on and thus no idea of what you've done re. PJ selection. Now I've written this many times before: jetting is not a straight-line process, everything affects everything else, and one of the strongest secondary interactions is between PJ selection and needle position; and yes, gentlemen, needle position affects things before the slide rises.

Here's what I'd do.
1.Verify float level and make sure it isn't too high (resulting in a lean condition due to low fuel level). Don't change it just for the helluvit, if it's in range leave it alone.

2. If float level checks OK, raise the needle one notch to #3 and try again with fuel screw setting.

One more time, folks: you can't tune only by working primary effects from range-and-component charts, you have to work the secondaries as well.

Ok guys, I think I got it figured out! So yesterday I ordered my jets from 650 central and purchased 30 pilots, 142.5 and 145 main jets! So me being a little impatient I decided to see if I could find some jets locally.Went to one shop and purchased the 140 mains and then went to another and bought two pilots that were 30's and looked damn near identical to my stock ones! So after all this scratching my head I pulled the bowls and compared the two pilots and they looked really close except for the bottoms! I put in my stock 27.5's and boom first kick it ran like a champ and idled amazingly well! So I took it on a quick run and everything seemed ok! So tomorrow I will have the correct pilots and will throw those in and see how it does! So Im currently running 27.5 pilots,140 mains, needles in the number 2 spot and mix screws turned out 2.5 turns. Thanks for all your help guys, really appreciate it and it felt good to take a quick run today!!!

XsC

Yep, BS30/96 and VM22/210 PJ's won't interchange, and you wouldn't have had to discover that for yourself if you'd read the Carb Guide or the carb reference page at Mike's XS. BTW the "correct" PJ is the one that works according to what your engine tells you, not the one listed in somebody else's recipe.

Back