Just removed my wiring harness...your input please

lopejd01

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I bought my 77' last year and started working on it to turn it into a cafe. The problem is the PO had the wiring harness all chopped up (well mostly just the headlight rat nest). I looked at probably 10 wiring diagrams for hours with a face like this: :confused: and this : :banghead: So I decided, rather than spend all this time slicing and trying to hide a 5lb harness, I'll just remove it and start from scratch.

So..I've looked at some simplified chopper diagrams and looks pretty straight forward. Only thing is I want to run signals. Kicking is fine with me though. If anyone has a diagram they recommend for its easy to understand simplicity, please post it.

Also, I'm going to replace my reg and rec unit with a combined reg/rec unit from a special to save space.

I think the PO may have removed some of the elec components so I'll probably have to scrounge ebay. I have a few components though that I'm not sure what the hell they are. Theres one component thats about the same size as the reg (yellow,red,black,red/white) and theres a little black box that looks like it might hold a fuse, but doesnt open (yellow, green/white, black)- anyone know what these two components are for?

any information you guys have, I appreciate it. and if theres anything you recommend I do while I'm this deep in the woods, let me know

Thanks.

start with the basics, what ing. system are you going to run? ele.start? and for the rec/reg the you have isn't compatible with 77' stator you would need to modify it or swap it for a newer 1 or get a 1 piece reg/rec unit for older xs's

The reg/rec unit from the special should wire up. from the diagrams I've seen, all I need to do is slightly change how the stator/rotor is getting power and to unground the brushes with nylon screws.

and to make my life easier, I'll be kicking only.

If your keeping all the stock electrical components, just buy a new harness from MikesXS. Plug it all back in and your done. The money spent will be well worth the trouble of trying to recreate a stock harness.

If your keeping all the stock electrical components, just buy a new harness from MikesXS. Plug it all back in and your done. The money spent will be well worth the trouble of trying to recreate a stock harness.

I'm not going to keep all the original elec. components. Just what I need to kick and have lighting. Some of the simplified diagrams I've looked at look pretty simple. But hopefully someone has one that incorporates using signals too and is a trusted and used diagram.

OK then,
Well Check out the wire diagram thread http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61

I Created my own with signals and all.
This is pretty much it with a couple of changes. The Bike has a Pamco Ignition now. But you can probably get the idea. After the key switch there are two wires. One going to the ignition system and one going to the lighting.
xs650bobber.jpg

Back