Just Ride.

Should this ride thread be just a.... well, thread? Or should there be a dedicated Forum topic?

• Yes, it's own topic in the Forums

Votes: 19 90.5%
  • Nah... threads good enough.

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Really digging this one.
ride76-001-5-jpg.149728

Really digging this one.
ride76-001-5-jpg.149728
Glad you like it.

There is a one hour window of opportunity to catch that nice barn facade in the daylight; a large tree (see the shadow on the right lower) occludes it, then very soon, the sun passes over the building.

I waited there for 10 minutes to catch that photo.

Today I broke all my Primary Personal Safety Rules;

In search of some interesting backgrounds for a bike shot, I decided to take the '76 deep into inner city Syracuse,
to the section that the Syracuse Police Department regards as the highest crime area. Regular drive-by murders and such.
I worked there back in the early 80's, in a hospital.

The traffic was busy and dangerous, with folks running stop signs and speeding.
Streets were throbbing with hip-hop music coming from jacked-up SUV's with chrome wheels.
Little patience for me on my vintage bike, creeping along at 30mph, looking left and right for an absorbing scene.

I stopped 5 times.
Chased off the sidewalk in front of Chi' Soul Food storefront on South Salina Street.

Chi's.jpg

Hassled by street people at other venues.
Did eventually take 38 photos.

...and managed to get one that I found satisfactory:
Kicked away a broken bottle at this abandoned storefront,
and waved off a few nice young kids on their bicycles who wanted to ride into the picture.

It was worth the 2 hour ride.

2019.Calendar76.InnerCity.jpg

Last edited:
Nice cool evening for riding....

KC's nickname is the City of Fountains. You can't throw a 9/16" wrench around here without hitting a fountain.

fountain.jpg

Clear on the other side of town is the Atkins-Johnson Farm Museum. It was closed, so I didn't figure out what it was famous for, but there's some cool old buildings there.

atkins johnson.jpg

farm.jpg

farm 2.jpg

... and the cemetery is huge.

cemetary.jpg

Last edited:
So.... this is the first time the ol' girl has seen the sunlight since 2014. She's not done. Taped on left grip, tank badges and a host of other stuff.... but she can proudly call herself a runner today.

View attachment 141199

No insurance, inspection or registration... but she was beggin' me.....

Been there , done that , TODAY! Hahaha

You're jus' too cool.... :cool:
First one is a C-119 Flying Boxcar. We just called 'em a "dollar19."
Your amphibian is a Catalina PBY
Correct on the B-25
Beside it is a Grumman SA-16 Albatross. My Dad flew one of those
Blackie is a Douglas A-26. A WWII medium bomber that saw duty all the way up through Vietnam. Impressive for any airplane.. never mind a combat aircraft.
Silver with bubbles is a Navy bird. Not familiar with it.
Red lightplane behind the tractor is a North American Navion. A very comfortable cross country airplane... if a little slow for it's day.
Last one is a C-46 or 47. Can't really tell from that angle. Go back and get a better pic please..... :rolleyes:
Yes sir, Jim. You know your planes. Navy bird is an S-2 sub hunter. Flew on one of those. I think the other is a C-47 sky train with the 2800 engine. The A-26, NOAA had one of those fixed up as a weather chaser. It flew into our line one day back in the mid seventies.

i want to see dirt on both of them. i want to see a selfie of wrenching in a hail storm on the side of the interstate

Thanks fellas. Yup Bob, just about prime, which is when the fall colors hit. I can't wait......
Just a few weeks off.
More photos to come.

You'll recall October of 2017, perhaps...

View attachment 149744
wow amazing colour I hope you get a chance to take some Autumn pictures or Fall as you lot say . Apparently Fall derives from an ancient English word 'feallan' which means to fall or to die .
Dude I love your bike it looks gorgeous ...I hope that you are offering it for the calendar this year ;)

MaxPete, that is one good looking bike! I'm no expert but , ummm it looks like whats left of a New York cab driver on your seat?
Thu

Thanks Thu - I assume you are looking at the silver Honda ST1300. It is great for a long fast ride cross-country. That beaded thing is pretty good too - helped with bum-burn on the 12 hours days to and from Winnipeg.

Cheers,

Pete

Back