Just Ride.

Should this ride thread be just a.... well, thread? Or should there be a dedicated Forum topic?

• Yes, it's own topic in the Forums

Votes: 19 90.5%
  • Nah... threads good enough.

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
9761182B-8802-4A8E-9BC5-7509BE667974.png

It doesn’t matter what the question is.....tacos are always the right answer!

Steve made my custom steering head damper, and he he added a really cool feature,

An undocumented feature, after sufficient break-in, the tuning fork will point towards BBQ...

Well I’ve modified it slightly, to search out the three main food groups. Today I set the dial on tacos and followed my nose.
A2B20D57-C01D-4890-83B1-95C31921CCC5.jpeg

I was headed for the old West town of Wickenburg Az , about 40 miles away. 80 miles round trip for tacos?
Seems about right !
I’ve written about Wickenburg before, so I won’t go over it all again, but it’s just a cool little town with a Wild West history and historical buildings, that at first glance , you may not realize their historical significance.
C5F2FA9C-CAA5-411E-9973-1CAA9BD189DB.jpeg

Hey check out this old original Fiat 500. It looked and sounded perfect, I wanted to talk to the old guy driving it but he zoomed away as soon as I got off of my bike.
8C70B103-55C5-43BA-BFFB-A49267A668C9.jpeg

220BFCC0-3E24-4DF8-BB57-F72719B066E2.jpeg

Check out the steam locomotive across the street. It’s on static display right next to a historic train depot.
74DD6C67-634B-44E1-A5CB-DA7EDCCE813D.jpeg

D8A68929-AC6E-41DB-A4B7-DC27F291783F.jpeg

Time for lunch!
237075FF-63EC-47FF-B78F-794B6A328556.jpeg
1C3BE971-8E1F-4E91-A051-AFD829868832.jpeg

6E93DC8B-CD80-4485-9761-5C7D4E7B909E.jpeg

Now that I’m stuffed with tacos, the only hard part is making it back home without falling asleep!
Later Bob

Taco's? I thought the answer was always Beer, Ride or "Yes maam"...Where is that Railroad Loco in relation to I-17? I used to go through Wickenburg when I was dating my girlfriend, now Wife. Never saw that part, but then I just passed through or stopped for gas/burger.

:laughing: Hahaha! Thanks! I am so keeping that image!

Okay, now I'm really hungry! Around here can only find Salvadoran tacos and they're just not the same.
john

Yeah, I can only imagine. Growing up here in Arizona, going to Mexican food restaurants are some of my earliest memories!

Taco's? I thought the answer was always Beer, Ride or "Yes maam"...Where is that Railroad Loco in relation to I-17? I used to go through Wickenburg when I was dating my girlfriend, now Wife. Never saw that part, but then I just passed through or stopped for gas/burger.

Yeah Rudy, you have to veer off of the highway and go to the historical center of town. There are about four square blocks of old original buildings, museums and restaurants. They have set up a really nice self guided walking tour of the downtown area.

220bfcc0-3e24-4df8-bb57-f72719b066e2-jpeg.151579

Weird how some pictures cue memories. This building is eerily similar to one in Eureka, Michigan. My Grandfather Webster (Mother's side) is the only grandparent I remember, they all died when I was just a little shaver. I used to stay with Grandpa and Grandma Webster pretty often when I was, I dunno...maybe 6 or 7. Grandma was a spicy old broad, but Grandpa was cool. We'd "take a walk" and go down to Gower's Hardware in a building nearly identical to that and I'd get a nickel coke out of the chest-type cooler and Grandpa would get to smoke a cigar which Grandma heartily disapproved of. It was us against the world!

We'd "take a walk" and go down to Gower's Hardware in a building nearly identical to that and I'd get a nickel coke out of the chest-type cooler and Grandpa would get to smoke a cigar which Grandma heartily disapproved of. It was us against the world!

Old hardware stores are a part of our history I really miss. I too have memories of going with my grandfather ( an old Missouri farmer ) to the local country hardware store. It was always a treat, which sometimes ended up with me getting a new pocket knife!

Just out running down lonely roads this morning. A while back, when I was looking for old WW2 air fields, I noticed that the most remote one I found , was on a road that continued on as far as I could see to the horizon. I had always wanted to go back there and ride it until the end. So today I did.
Here is where the road ends, the Toyota proving grounds. This is all you would see if you just stumbled out here by accident, which is highly unlikely, this track is WAY THE HELL out there and I had to take a number of turns down some very remote roads before I got here. This is not even the gate, that’s another 100 yards down a private road, and then the track sits another mile back from the gate! You can’t get anywhere near that track.
D22DE500-41DA-4A9A-8AE0-A2CB2D874C8A.jpeg
D85DE8AD-F475-47C6-8DC8-3F94B86D2D1D.png

On the way back out, I stopped at the bottom of the Hassayampa River! :D
1850FAFC-CB3E-4459-AFC3-7E6EC6CE0EDD.jpeg

Well, at least what passes for a river in Arizona. We have tons of these on our maps, they are what’s referred to as intermittent rivers. They only flow if we’ve had lots of rain , they are the natural drainage channels for the surrounding mountains. Here you can see that recent rains did indeed have water flowing here not long ago.
26F58DBC-0C1B-4AE7-9ADA-D45F4E5A7AD5.jpeg

A funny , related story. Back in WW2 , Phoenix had a German prisoner of war camp. During that time there was an escape by a group of prisoners, most of them didn’t get far before being recaptured. But there was a group of three men who escaped out into the desert. They had somehow got their hands on a map of Arizona and saw there was a river not too far. Their plan was to get to the river and fashion themselves a raft and float all the way to Mexico.
But when they got to the river , all they found was a dry wash. They were recaptured.

Ahh well.....just another day out tootling around in the desert. :bike:
Later, Bob

Took madness out to look for some fall color, first frost was Sunday.
Pics at Devils Lake State Park.
Trying to be manly and get in practice for the XS1 I was kick starting it today, or trying anyway. It kicked back at me a time or two. Foot hurts... Glad the magic button still works.
20191016_160944.jpg
20191016_161640.jpg
20191016_162026.jpg
20191016_163400.jpg

Back