Just Ride.

Should this ride thread be just a.... well, thread? Or should there be a dedicated Forum topic?

• Yes, it's own topic in the Forums

Votes: 19 90.5%
  • Nah... threads good enough.

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yesterday was overcast, blustery and really too cold but to hell with it.
View attachment 164197

I didn’t feel like sightseeing, or stopping, or just puttering along. I took the XS2 to the closest highway on-ramp and just nailed it. I returned 60 miles later feeling “ refreshed” !

Edit: and oh yeah, managed to twist the plastic knob of of my odometer off at the gas station! :eek:
I thought I heard a loud YEEEE-HAAAAA coming from the southwest yesterday!

Yup, that is a two-seat Hunter. The single seat variants were truly among the prettiest jets ever built IMO. They just had such nice lines and were apparently extremely nice to fly. Here is a single seater...
c0463429-800px-wm.jpg

The Hunter was used by more than 20 air forces (chiefly the RAF, Indian, Singaporean, Swiss, Swedes and Netherlands) with the type entering service in 1954 and being retired in 2014 (although quite a number are still operating in private hands as aggressors and in other training roles). The bulges below the gun bay were used to store spent 30mm cannon shell casings and cartridge links as it had been found that they would damage the underside of the aircraft if they were ejected. Here is a three-view:
1024px-Hawker_Hunter.svg.png
Hi Pete,
pretty, perhaps but a fighter that needed a spent cartridge catch-bucket to avoid shooting itself down?
For stark efficient good looks in a 1950s fighter I'd pick the F-86.

I hate to here about the plastic knob! I usually ride like an old man but I must have gotten bit by the same bug you did, Mailman. I rolled it on a little more than usual in first and it sounded so good with the pea-shooters, I just went on thru the gears. ( woke up the neighbors)

Went for a rip on the Street Triple this afternoon...all around the Sandy River, Oxbow Park and Bull Run watershed for those who know the East of Portland area,
Glorious day!
Caption this!
View attachment 164219

That’s a great photo! I don’t think I’d park near the leaning tower though! :laugh: So how’s your new beastie running?

Yeah, that would be me! I think it was a mixture of adrenaline and being pissed off about being under house arrest! :cool:
House arrest. That's what it feel like. Around 2,3 pm I can't stand it any longer and tell Vickie "I can't stand it anymore! I'm going riding!".Sometimes it's even earlier for a longer ride.

That’s a great photo! I don’t think I’d park near the leaning tower though! :laugh: So how’s your new beastie running?
Ya, I like the little green tractor peaking out of the barn!
The XS has a little ways to go. Head and rocker cover are out getting vapor blasted to match the naked 750 barrels.
Then gotta build those pieces back up and put them on the stack, flop the whole thing in the frame and wire it all up. Sounds easy enough :umm: Hopefully first start in the next couple weeks.

which is exactly why I'm trying to find someone to help me re-do it the right way
Good call. I'm no frame builder but I'd seriously consider finding a used un-cut frame, use the front section and re-do your entire front end. Whoever does it should have a frame jig and know what they're doing. That section of the frame, especially with raked/extended forks exerts way more tension than stock. For that reason, and for the love of life, I'd recommend not riding your bike with the frame the way it is currently welded up. Just my .02. I dont know you from Adam, but to advise otherwise is risking a life IMHO. Your decision, obviously. I'll ask other more experienced frame guys to chime in if they disagree.

Good call. I'm no frame builder but I'd seriously consider finding a used un-cut frame, use the front section and re-do your entire front end. Whoever does it should have a frame jig and know what they're doing. That section of the frame, especially with raked/extended forks exerts way more tension than stock. For that reason, and for the love of life, I'd recommend not riding your bike with the frame the way it is currently welded up. Just my .02. I dont know you from Adam, but to advise otherwise is risking a life IMHO. Your decision, obviously. I'll ask other more experienced frame guys to chime in if they disagree.
Yeah.... I'll second. Those welds are just butt ugly. That means it weren't a welder what done 'em. No tellin' how good a penetration he got.... or if he even knew what that means... :rolleyes:

I'll most likely only ride it around town then, it's not a big town lol. I'm just curious though, I've been riding it for 3 years now, hitting pot holes and what not. Riding to several towns up and back several times. and no cracks or anything, no bending, etc. So maybe the beads had good penetration? there's not even any signs of bubbles on the outside welds.

Riding to several towns up and back several times. and no cracks or anything, no bending, etc. So maybe the beads had good penetration?
Riding it... or not is a judgement call on your part. I don't think anyone here want's responsibility for you possibly being splattered on the road. And if one of us said... yeah, go ahead, that's what we'd be doing. It's your call and yours alone.

Last ride before lockdown, Sat March 21st. The old girl was running a little rich so I went down one to 140 mains and off out for a run, despite it being bloody cold, 8-10 above freezing. There is a cafe (closed, naturally) at Cotswold Airfield, it's about a 60-mile round trip and one I've started doing from time to time. Or at least I did before lockdown!
View attachment 163741

This used to be RAF Kemble and is now a private flyers' airflield and also a planes' graveyard where 747s and suchlike get scrapped. That plane in the background is, I think, a Hawker Hunter. Here's another of it:

View attachment 163742

Close by is a Red Arrows' Folland Gnat, looking a bit sad as it's missing its cockpit canopy at the moment:

View attachment 163743

Kemble used to be home to the Red Arrows.
A combination of the cold and the vibes gave me vibration white finger well before I got home. I didn't get this with the old mirrors, but I've fitted Halcyon ones now. Dunno if that's coincidence, but I could do without it anyway:

View attachment 163744

Just garage activity now. Bah. I'm getting desperate to ride.
Cliff

Are you running aluminum rims on the high spoke count HS hubs? or are those the original steel rims? Mikes' XS items?
Thinking of doing the same wheel set up on mine. If alloy, did you notice a difference in weight, handling? Is it worth it? or try to find older style hubs with the fewer spoke set up...
Your bike is RAD. :cheers:
20200321_120857-jpg.163741

Are you running aluminum rims on the high spoke count HS hubs? or are those the original steel rims? Mikes' XS items?
Thinking of doing the same wheel set up on mine. If alloy, did you notice a difference in weight, handling? Is it worth it? or try to find older style hubs with the fewer spoke set up...
Your bike is RAD. :cheers:
20200321_120857-jpg.163741

He's also got a lighter weight rotor. It looks like EBC. Less unsprung weight all around!

Hi Steve, those are alloy replacement rims from MikesXS as you supected, with their stainless spokes. And an EBC rotor as Marty noticed.
The bike was not in great shape when I got it, so I never rode it in its original form. By the time I got it on the road it was much as you see ... taper roller head races, Minton mods and extra half inch preload on the forks, dropped in the yokes by 1cm, needle roller swinging arm bearings and longer Hagon shocks. And Bridgstone BT 45 tyres. What I can say is that it handles surprisingly well and I'm a happy bunny :D

It’s noon on Tuesday, 73 degrees and sunny with gusty winds blowing today, .......and I’m headed for the mountains.
0CDD269D-6ED6-40E5-B995-F098641928F9.jpeg

I rode 45 miles just to reach this point, the turn in to the Vulture mountains.
33994F9B-EC96-41E8-8068-03533784E19C.jpeg

A5FA3566-DE12-468C-98E9-9793DB915002.jpeg
4F4998A4-C7C1-4402-A3B7-2BE223C61E5F.jpeg
CB342D3C-2777-4EDE-AF0D-E72F4AF9599C.jpeg

Any of you guys that love to hike, fancy blazing a trail through here?
527636E2-D760-450B-AF33-4DF8F1F3ED1E.jpeg
608DB359-E293-428D-89B1-EA3132C05106.jpeg
58612F47-3978-430C-8D2D-6DC728381FE2.jpeg
A390FE5E-BBE7-4FC7-86BA-16831A474F33.jpeg
66C4DA88-1073-4333-AAE2-67CBD3B1BBE5.jpeg

One hundred thirty miles today. People I came in contact with....zero. Bugs I came in contact with? Many!
My helmet visor when I got home.....bad day to be a bug....good day to be me.
40C7AA3B-3AB9-44E5-9BA6-0A3368258142.jpeg

Later,
Bob :bike:

It’s noon on Tuesday, 73 degrees and sunny with gusty winds blowing today, .......and I’m headed for the mountains.
View attachment 164361

I rode 45 miles just to reach this point, the turn in to the Vulture mountains.
View attachment 164362
View attachment 164363 View attachment 164364 View attachment 164365

Any of you guys that love to hike, fancy blazing a trail through here?
View attachment 164369 View attachment 164366 View attachment 164368 View attachment 164367 View attachment 164370

One hundred thirty miles today. People I came in contact with....zero. Bugs I came in contact with? Many!
My helmet visor when I got home.....bad day to be a bug....good day to be me.
View attachment 164371

Later,
Bob :bike:
:thumbsup:

Back