Just Ride.

Should this ride thread be just a.... well, thread? Or should there be a dedicated Forum topic?

• Yes, it's own topic in the Forums

Votes: 19 90.5%
  • Nah... threads good enough.

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ummmmmm.....girls in skimpy outfits? :umm:
Well, you just have to imagine them, Pete :)
The local police protect the ultra wealthy residents of Skaneateles like mother hawks. I wouldn't dare get caught snapping pics of the girls. I've had run-ins with these men in blue a number of times.

Well, you just have to imagine them, Pete :)
The local police protect the ultra wealthy residents of Skaneateles like mother hawks. I wouldn't dare get caught snapping pics of the girls. I've had run-ins with these men in blue a number of times.

Oh dear me.....

So Pete, you are looking for girl pics?
One just now came to me in my mail.
Remember the chat 5Twins and I had quite awhile back in one of Bob's threads about catching lower oil drips with a tampon?
(Bob wasn't happy about that :))
Well, I mentioned this girl from Beaver Dams, NY .

Yes, that was Beaver Dams.

Just 8 miles south of Watkins Glen it is.

Well, she's got a new photo. At some risk, I realise, I'll share it with you:

View attachment 170419
Don't ask how the photo came to me. I won't reveal my source.

No, that’s quite OK thanks.

Summer time did arrive in the Oregon Cascade range. Having a Fathers day BBQ in Central Oregon which is on the other side (east) side of the mountains from me, a plan developed.
Renting motorcycles is an option:cool:
2 days on an FJR130O was a much needed escape. I could ramble for paragraphs about the abilities of the FJR but that is moot. Just know that it is a reasonable thing to rent and escape into the mountain roads.
Two up, we had a blast. -R
20200622_123230.jpg

Attachments

• 20200622_123948.jpg
    20200622_123948.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 208
  • 20200622_121639.jpg
    20200622_121639.jpg
    400.8 KB · Views: 187
  • 20200622_084452.jpg
    20200622_084452.jpg
    362 KB · Views: 176
  • 20200622_184242.jpg
    20200622_184242.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 209
Summer time did arrive in the Oregon Cascade range. Having a Fathers day BBQ in Central Oregon which is on the other side (east) side of the mountains from me, a plan developed.
Renting motorcycles is an option:cool:
2 days on an FJR130O was a much needed escape. I could ramble for paragraphs about the abilities of the FJR but that is moot. Just know that it is a reasonable thing to rent and escape into the mountain roads.
Two up, we had a blast. -R
View attachment 170436

yup, those big litre+ sport tourers are pretty seductive...comfy, steady and nutty fast.
Good for you Randy - glad you had a break.
Pete

seductive...comfy, steady and nutty fast.

Beautiful, perfect weather. Sorry, roads out there are too good to stop for pics.
True on both accounts. Besides riding out of cell phone service is a sure way of hiding from traffic as well. My phone was packed away. SteveC , I know those east side routes well from years ago. Very nice memories.
Closer to reach yet still mostly empty mountain curvy pleasure is the road up the Clackamas River thru Mt.Hood National Forest, into Willamette National Forest following the Breightenbush River to Detroit Lake.
Fast & Purdy ;)
(We do like purdy & fast)

20200624_150031.jpg
20200624_141718.jpg
Took the SG out for a longer run today. 100+ temps forecasted. I Needed a ride. Filled up first thing. Stopped at the Tom Mix Memorial for a bit. Good thing too. Rt side cam end cover came loose again. Tightened that up and took some pics and took off for Florence McDonald's. Had lunch. Headed home. Ran out of gas. WTH? Reserve #1 switched on. Ran out again! Reserve #2 switched on. Didn't make it to a gas station before it ran out too. Started motorhiking. Sherriff stopped and offered a ride to gas station. I took him up on his offer as it was 4 miles away. He was a good dude all the way. Took me back to the SG and waited until it started and rolling. Rolled to that same station and filled up. Rode straight home. Overheated and dehydrated. Pics are of the Bighorn fire along Pushe Ridge, Model Airplane Airport near Florence AZ, Tom Mix Memorial and the view up and down from it.

Attachments

• 20200624_140719.jpg
    20200624_140719.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 161
  • 20200624_130102.jpg
    20200624_130102.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 186
  • 20200624_130134.jpg
    20200624_130134.jpg
    285.9 KB · Views: 160
  • 20200624_130149.jpg
    20200624_130149.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 154
  • 20200624_130123.jpg
    20200624_130123.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
Sheriff stopped and offered a ride to gas station. I took him up on his offer as it was 4 miles away. He was a good dude all the way. Took me back to the SG and waited until it started and rolling.
That's a great plug for the good guys. "To serve and protect" was written on our local police cars when I was a kid. I had several experiences when they did just that.

View attachment 170638 View attachment 170639 Took the SG out for a longer run today. 100+ temps forecasted. I Needed a ride. Filled up first thing. Stopped at the Tom Mix Memorial for a bit. Good thing too. Rt side cam end cover came loose again. Tightened that up and took some pics and took off for Florence McDonald's. Had lunch. Headed home. Ran out of gas. WTH? Reserve #1 switched on. Ran out again! Reserve #2 switched on. Didn't make it to a gas station before it ran out too. Started motorhiking. Sherriff stopped and offered a ride to gas station. I took him up on his offer as it was 4 miles away. He was a good dude all the way. Took me back to the SG and waited until it started and rolling. Rolled to that same station and filled up. Rode straight home. Overheated and dehydrated. Pics are of the Bighorn fire along Pushe Ridge, Model Airplane Airport near Florence AZ, Tom Mix Memorial and the view up and down from it.
Between you and Bob, I feel like I am becoming a freshman student of Arizona.

Hey guys,
It has been awhile since I posted, nothing new on my rebuild of "Rusty" but I did have a great time at the Rockets Across America (RAA) a few weeks ago in Richwood, WV. If you ever get a change to ride there do it! We did New River Gorge and wow, what a beauty. And knowing the old highway now is just one-way, makes one really think about the old days before the new bridge was built when this road was two-way traffic.

My Rocket III Touring packed and ready to roll out two-up
6-10-2020c.jpg

Six hours later we arrived at the Four Seasons Lodge in Richwood, WV. Hit five soaking rains en route.
6-10-2020b.jpg

Sitting on the old New River bridge. I have the red shoulders and helmet on towards the right, and my pretty Pillion has the white helmet.
6-11-2020a.jpg

Stopped at a closed bars, dang it.
6-11-2020b.jpg

At one of the many over looks in WV
6-11-2020f.jpg

This is Glen of Highland Feast catering out of NC. We hired him to cater our evening meals. What a blessing this turned out to be. His menu of meats is amoazing to say the least and oh so delicious. And being on site with us, no one had to worry about hitting restaurants after the day's ride.
6-11-2020g.jpg

Red that beautiful red Rocket in the center. It was the only bike to crash over the week.
6-11-2020h.jpg

Here it is. He lost it on the outisde of a curve and pulled the arrow sign out of the ground. Broke his left collar bone but he was ATGATT so fared well.
6-13-2020d.jpg

Even the Corbin bags stayed attached, that is amazing all by itself.
6-13-2020e.jpg

Here is another picture of Highland Feast catering when he arrived.
6-12-2020b.jpg

For some reason, many other pictures will not load right now. I will try to get more of the scenery as soon as I can.

My bike started bucking pretty hard hurting my Pretty Pillion's neck. It took awhile to figure out my stepper motor was the cause. The guy in the picture is the same one who crashed the next day. He also figured out why my stepper motor failed, the throttle cables were to tight causing the stepper to work overtime. Also, almost everything metal in here was corroded from living near the salt air and my habit of riding all year. Copious amounts of WD40 remedied the matter for now. Disconnecting the stepper meant we had to adjust the manual idle screw to keep the bike running when started. I am blessed to have ace mechanics in my life, especially on the road.
6-12-2020c.jpg

This guy went double darkside and truck tires on top of that.
6-11-2020e.jpg

This is a sample of the Motorcycle routes you can find in WV. The guy who makes these happens to be a Richwood city councilman and his wife is the out going Mayor.
6-11-2020l.jpg

This is the new bridge over the New River Gorge
6-11-2020k.jpg

And my bike at the scene of the crash; I couldn't resist such a beautiful picture.
6-12-2020a.jpg

Boog,
What a nice ride report with great photos. Really spectacular scenery. I’m sorry to hear about your friends crash, thankfully he was able to walk away from it. It sure trashed his bike though. :(
I can hardly believe that blue bike with truck tires front and rear! I can’t imagine how that bike handles, especially on those twisty country roads!
Thanks for posting!

Boog,
What a nice ride report with great photos. Really spectacular scenery. I’m sorry to hear about your friends crash, thankfully he was able to walk away from it. It sure trashed his bike though. :(
I can hardly believe that blue bike with truck tires front and rear! I can’t imagine how that bike handles, especially on those twisty country roads!
Thanks for posting!
That double darksider rolls quite well until it hit wet roads. He says it hydro planes like crazy. Something i would not have consider if he hadn't mentioned it.

Set out early for a fast blitz before it got too hot out. I headed for the Sunset Parkway Southwest of my house, it’s a nice fast highway that gets almost no use because it was built to connect a huge planned community that never got built.
8F0F4E69-3E75-4E01-9B92-CF45228B2613.jpeg

After 35 miles of that I come out into farm and cattle country. Huge cattle lots way south of me, and to support the feeding of all those cattle, miles and miles of alfalfa and feed corn fields...the temperature dropped at least 10 degrees out here in farm land.
EA63EA27-EABD-41CC-A10A-5B3324C59880.jpeg

EA5A9DA0-B4A6-4268-9BDA-A8EF2AAAB9A9.jpeg
3404ED64-3AF2-4566-9647-46A6745FE156.jpeg
AC59DF4F-14FA-43F8-AF97-612A19249330.jpeg

I passed an interesting old building , long abandoned. I stuck more photos in the barn thread.
930E1B41-A33A-4280-9A98-2CDE8C05B6BB.jpeg

I rode past the Buckeye airport and scouted the hangars where the old vintage aircraft are kept, but didn’t see anything new. Rode through historic downtown Buckeye and filled up my gas tank, then turned back and took a meandering path back home. By now it was getting pretty hot. Clicked off 85 miles and had some much needed relaxing fun. Later!
Mailman out!

roadtrip.jpg

As posted in the barn thread, took my first "just for the ride" ride today. One of my top 5 favorite loops, do it at least a couple of times a season.

rt9_1.jpg

rt9_2.jpg

rt9_3.jpg

The scenery is one reason. The other is Route 9. Bisects the state from East to West and from the Canadian Border at Calais to Bangor it's all WAY out in the boonies and rarely partroled. Major trucking route and well maintained and pretty much EVERYBODY ignores the posted limit. Under 70 will get you run over, 80-ish keeps up with most folks. Hilly and twisty, great fun!

roadtrip.jpg

As posted in the barn thread, took my first "just for the ride" ride today. One of my top 5 favorite loops, do it at least a couple of times a season.

rt9_1.jpg

rt9_2.jpg

rt9_3.jpg

The scenery is one reason. The other is Route 9. Bisects the state from East to West and from the Canadian Border at Calais to Bangor it's all WAY out in the boonies and rarely partroled. Major trucking route and well maintained and pretty much EVERYBODY ignores the posted limit. Under 70 will get you run over, 80-ish keeps up with most folks. Hilly and twisty, great fun!

Man! That’s so pretty they should charge admission! Do you ever see Moose up where you live?

Back