Just Ride.

Should this ride thread be just a.... well, thread? Or should there be a dedicated Forum topic?

• Yes, it's own topic in the Forums

Votes: 19 90.5%
  • Nah... threads good enough.

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Haven't ridden much this Summer between the freakin' heat and other obligations plus I just plumb ran out of places I haven't ridden 50 times.
I have a loop I run about once a week, on a ridge road, takes half an hour or so and always makes me smile. Yeah, I'd like to be taking long rides, but right now more than an hour one way is probably out of the question.

I have a loop I run about once a week, on a ridge road, takes half an hour or so and always makes me smile. Yeah, I'd like to be taking long rides, but right now more than an hour one way is probably out of the question.

BTDT! I remember when my youngest daughter (now 25) had something very important in the garage to show me. She was pretty worked up. She went to the motorcycle parked in there, climbed up and made sure I was looking at her feet planted on the pegs. I had told her long before that we would not be going for a ride together before her feet reached the pegs. She may have been eight or nine years old at the time. After that the miles started racking up on the bikes again.

@jetmechmarty dang it, you made my eyes get a little blurry just now. I'm not sure why really but little feet on the pegs brought back some really important memories for me. Okay, I know why. I have seven children, the youngest is 23 now. Each of them had the same requirement though truth be told, a couple got a ride before that. Still, I can picture a little being excited about that day. Good on you brother!

1915268_1177811241701_3357770_n.jpg

171739_1622379315625_3173716_o.jpg

1934926_1060774275850_3096129_n.jpg

14908418_1460687037281502_7778479980827773879_n.jpg

Well, she passes the rain test.

Had a meeting on the other side of the city and due to 20% chance of light rain I took the bike. Downpour started during the meeting and I had a 40 minute ride home in this - https://streamable.com/0yx8e1
Well that sucks don't it? But some days you're the pigeon,others the statue.
Youse guys guilted me into it, especially gray n riding. Just an overnighter, may have some work to do on this whole packing lite thing...
15976862081591639375508.jpg .

Well, she passes the rain test.

Had a meeting on the other side of the city and due to 20% chance of light rain I took the bike. Downpour started during the meeting and I had a 40 minute ride home in this - https://streamable.com/0yx8e1
Or an 80% chance of not raining :shrug:
I was once a half block from home stuck at a red light
We thought we had outrun the storm ( NOT) Torrential rain wind blowing like it wanted to tip you over
My buddy and I just laid on the horns AND HAD A GOOD LAUGH :laugh:
put the bikes in the garage and had a cold beer
What ya going to do

Well that sucks don't it? But some days you're the pigeon,others the statue.
Youse guys guilted me into it, especially gray n riding. Just an overnighter, may have some work to do on this whole packing lite thing...
View attachment 173623 .
I just have a backpack on the sissy bar unless I'm going a LONG distance
Even a rain suit will only keep you so dry for so long then your just partially wet

Found a cool old barn along the way.
20200817_152520.jpg
Still being used.
And a gas station, general store at a country crossroads.
20200817_153112.jpg
"Proprietor" came out said it was in business from 1901 to 2008. Statated any pictures i took would be copywrited. I offered to split my revenue stream 50/50.
15976995337491332008082.jpg
And camp is set up. Rough, rough day gotta rest now.
Chef Phil has arrived. ;)
20200817_171247.jpg
Guess it wont be canned soup tonight

Last edited:
Not the most exotic of rides, but me and my mum went for a ride over to my mechanics this morning so I could grab a HEL stainless steel brake line. He lives just out of town on the opposite side of the city, so this was the first time I've got the bike up to highway speed. Got to say, I'm very happy with it! I think I prefer my XS400 still for city driving, but it was just brutal at 100km/h+. This is a noticeable improvement on highway driving and still pretty fun to boot around town on, so overall I think this bike is a win. Might mess with the sprockets to make it a bit more of a hooligan to whip around on, but we'll see.

The 4k bog I'm experiencing made highway driving a bit sketchy at times, but that should be sorted out soon. The guy I was supposed to do my carbs with initially had to move it because his ex-wife got sick and had to get COVID tested - with the kids in the house if she had it chances are they could pass to him as well so we were waiting for her results... then he got in a bike accident and hooped his leg. Looking like we should be good to go next week.

Quick picture of mine and my mums bikes - she also rides a Yamaha 650, just 30 some years newer.

Attachments

• signal-2020-08-21-112858.jpg
    signal-2020-08-21-112858.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 110
A thunderstorm blew through last night, dropping temperatures down to a human level. So this morning I drug Old Blackie outa the barn and went for a blast. No stopping for photos today, I just wanted to fly.

Riding on a lonesome two lane highway
Early morning , the air still smells of rain
Trying to find the last wide open spaces
This old man and his flying carpet made of steel
All along his southwest odyssey
The motor keeps a steady beat
As he rolls along past houses farms and fields
Passing towns that time forgot
and the graveyards of the early pioneers

my apologies to Arlo Guthrie for butchering his song. :cool:
1396AC17-FB52-4F02-BF93-90D5FB7BB5BE.jpeg

Back