1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Featured Just Ride.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jim, May 10, 2019.

1. Yes, it's own topic in the Forums

19 vote(s)
    90.5%
  2. Nah... threads good enough.

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  1. I'm sure it would be expensive to learn, but there's a good bit of potential to make decent money if I play my cards right. jim, I'll take any and all advice you have on it in a PM or here if anyone else wants to hear it. Lol

Jim and gggGary like this.
  2. Downeaster

Downeaster Everything in XS Top Contributor

I know the Honda Dreams were a sensation and a watershed event in the introduction of Japanese motorcycles into the US, but I've ALWAYS thought they were Buh-Tuggly. Even as a kid in 1965, I shuddered every time I saw one.

3. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Well, this is my thread, so I guess if anybody can hijack it....
    I started flying when I was 14. My Dad worked at an airport, so I had an inside line... but what I did was get a weekend job as a line boy. That entails fueling 'em, washing 'em.... As they got to trust me, it evolved into pulling inspection panels, draining oil sumps... and about ever other nasty job you can think of. At the end of every day one of the instructors would take me up for 30-40 min. or so. Not the easiest way to get time... but it didn't cost me a penny. Go to a local airport and hang out... get to know the guys. Maybe they'll let you get your foot in the door. So yeah.... that's one way to do it. Another way is to go 10 to 20 grand in the hole... get your CFI (instructor) ticket and get paid to build time instructing.

madmax-im, gggGary and TwoManyXS1Bs like this.
  4. Weekend work might not be a bad start! Being around that stuff would just make my weekends more fun... There's a local airport about 15 minutes from my house. Good idea! Maybe I can snag a job there and make some extra cash. Although, times may be a little different now than they were back then.. I'll look into it and see what I can figure out.

gggGary and Jim like this.
  5. jetmechmarty

jetmechmarty What should I put here? XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

596C65EC-DCEE-41C9-8267-3EFFEC6CAAD5.jpeg
    I had so many bugs on my face shield, it was getting tough to see. This happens crossing miles of rice paddies after dark.
    More later.

Boog, Greyandridin, madmax-im and 6 others like this.
  6. Rasputin

Rasputin XS650 Addict XS650.com Supporter

And they said” that jap crap won’t last five minutes” love that old Honda.

7. jetmechmarty

That old Honda and three others, just as ugly, completed Mississippi to Oregon on the Trans America Trail!

Rasputin, Greyandridin, Jim and 2 others like this.
  8. ThatXS650Guy

ThatXS650Guy More Sparky than Speed Racer XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Is that a CB400F in the background? Those pipes are sexy as hell. Always wanted one of those.

Jim, gggGary and Mailman like this.
  9. jetmechmarty

Yes, it is a CB400F. For those unaware, those pipes are stock.

Jim, Smuggy and gggGary like this.
  10. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Had some sweet weather and our stock of Rural Route One popcorn was depleted so off we went to Montfort WI to resupply, mostly via the backroads. The corn is drying out and so are the beans, the trees haven't started yet.

Hyde's Mill.
    allison hydes mill venture.jpg
    Allison really likes riding on (in) the venture.
    Atop ferry bluff, about 250' above the Wisconsin River.
    ferry bluff allison.jpg
    A great day and a needed break from dealing with some family matters. :)

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  11. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

It seems as though the road sofa is a keeper eh? Effortlessly eating up the miles. ;) Nice little trip!

Greyandridin, Jim and gggGary like this.
  12. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

There's an active buyer, might be gone afore the weekend. And I saw a DCT CTX700 on CL.....:rolleyes:
    That Venture is a good road machine I'm just so flighty.

13. TwoManyXS1Bs

TwoManyXS1Bs BBQ Hunter Top Contributor

Did something today that I haven't been able to do for over 20 years.

Found a pair of side-zipper boots that fit me.
    Breaking them in.
    20200915_Boots.jpg

Today's trip was to Fredericksburg's Vereins Kirche, now a museum, to find out more about the area's train history, and possible locations of old barns...
    20200915_Buildings03.jpg

http://www.pioneermuseum.net/

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  14. jetmechmarty

Coldwater, Mississippi to Waynesville, Missouri and Back
    I have a cousin who just retired to Missouri. A plan came together to make a visit. So, last Friday evening, I set out. Not long after crossing Big Muddy, I was riding across Arkansas rice paddies and chasing a pretty red sunset. It was getting difficult to see through the smashed bugs on my face-shield. Upon my arrival in Batesville, AR, I cleaned it in the hotel shower. Saturday morning began my ride in the Ozarks.
    [​IMG]
    Coldwater, MS pop. 1,500 or so.

[​IMG]
    Mississippi delta

So, my 4 hour ride to Batesville, AR was uneventful even though half of it was in the dark, other than being almost blind from smashed bugs. There is a lot of rice out there! Saturday morning began my Ozark riding experience.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

IMG_0545.jpg
    Not XS650, but XS1100. This one has over 100,000 miles on it and almost racked up another 1,000 on this ride. It's not a touring bike, but handles high speed more easily than my 650.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Nothing to write about. The reunion was perfect. The bike ran perfect. The weather was perfect. The roads were perfect. AND NO TRAFFIC!

Attached Files:

15. Mailman

That looks like a beautiful ride Marty! I’m impressed at the high mileage on your XS-11. :)

gggGary and Jim like this.
  16. jetmechmarty

I went to THE CROSSROADS.

First, I went down to Rosedale. 1.jpg
    2.jpg

Then, on up to Clarksdale. It is claimed that this is the place where Robert Johnson sold his soul to the Devil.
    3.jpg

My tamales are still warm, so I placed a slab of ribs over them. It is claimed that Robert Johnson dined here. Hey, why not!
    4.jpg

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  17. jetmechmarty

More from my 200 mile loop.
    upload_2020-9-19_18-52-36.png
    7.jpg
    5.jpg
    Moon Lake

6.jpg
    Yes, I should stay home and work on the XS650, all of them.

8.jpg
    9.jpg
    91.jpg
    This is the place owned or co-owned by Morgan Freeman. It's closed during Covid-19

I turned it into about five hours. A great ride and no traffic.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  18. Mailman

Maybe it’s just me, but I can’t see your photos. :shrug:

Greyandridin likes this.
  19. jetmechmarty

I see the photo in the reply. I emailed them from my iPhone. I copied and pasted 11 photos.
    Wrong?

Greyandridin likes this.
  20. lakeview

lakeview XS650 Guru XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor