Just Ride.

Should this ride thread be just a.... well, thread? Or should there be a dedicated Forum topic?

• Yes, it's own topic in the Forums

Votes: 19 90.5%
  • Nah... threads good enough.

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
They literally look like giant gummy cola grips. I have a sweet tooth and eat candy all the effing time, every day. Those grips look delicious

Well, this morning I had another delightful adventure - in the f@cking rain - AGAIN!
My long distance ride is a big Honda ST1300 (think Gold Wing - but for bad boys) and with my new knee install in January/2019, I simply couldn’t do the necessary maintenance and repairs this past winter. The bike is 12 years old and has gone ~72,000 km (40,000 miles) and it needed fork seals and bushings and steering head bearings.
834981E4-9FBA-408C-BCE0-B45F11377878.jpeg
It also required a valve clearance check - which is a fairly significant task. I wanted to ride it this spring and as mentioned, my knee wasn’t up to a lot of time in the unheated DCW. Sooo, I had the work done at a shop (Bob’s Motorsports) in Chatham which is about 80 km (~50 miles) east of Windsor. They did a great job and I got the bike back a couple of weeks ago but they wanted to check the steering head bearings after I had ridden it for a while so I took it to Chatham early this morning under threatening skies because I am taking off on my spring biker buddy trip tomorrow morning. We’re headed to New Hampshire via Peterborough, ON and northern New York.

Well, todays short expedition went great until....I was about halfway home and then the frickin’ skies opened up on me. Man, did I get wet. Oh well, the engine is running like new (none of the 16 valve shims needed to be changed) and the steering head bearings feel awesomely smooth and steady. The difference in overall chassis noise level and steadiness of handling after this final seating adjustment is quite noticeable. Eventually, I got home and stood dripping in the garage for a few minutes. Then I disassembled my multi-layer jacket and popped everything into the dryer.

All good now and just as I was finishing my lunch, the nice folks from Canada Post (Mailman’s northern cousins) delivered Lucille’s new tires - yay! I wonder why the inner tubes (which I ordered 15 minutes after I ordered the tires :rolleyes:) didn’t come at the same time. Hmmmm....
6683772D-0B9B-457C-A091-AF189AD41240.jpeg
All-in-all, a good - but wet - day.

I must say though, that I am really sick and tired of the crappy weather.

Pete

Last edited:
I hear ya on the weather, Pete. We've had two pretty nice days in a row..."pretty nice" defined as not raining, not too cold and a little sun.

And I've pissed them both away doing landscaping jobs around the house. Needed to get the new flower bed built and backfilled before my mail-order plants show up. (Below are existing beds, new one is just dirt at the moment)

flowers15_3.jpg

flrs813_3.jpg

I really enjoy flower gardening and flowerbeds don't need to be mowed :cheers: My lawn is overrun with "creeping charlie" and dandelions anyway. If I was REALLY ambitious, I'd skin the sod off the whole damn thing and start over. Fortunately, I have the will power to keep my ambition in check...:rolleyes::p sort of...

I'm also putting in a walkway from the steps in the second picture out to the road...about 35 feet. Been meaning to do that for about 20 years now.

I really enjoy flower gardening and flowerbeds don't need to be mowed :cheers:
I do flowers too, but not the lawn :) I live in a rock house with rock front rail on the porch front, so I mainly put pots there. Last summer I had sunflowers on the ground in front of it. It's across the street from an elementary school, so it was cool for the little kids.

This might be interesting to you KY boys. The pic below is the most likely of the river ford that's mentioned in the link below, where some controversy took place. Only natural ford in the area, and it's the right area. Behind me is a little steeper and goes up the bank diagonally. Connects to a buffalo road that goes on up the hill. This was a trip on motorcycle so it qualifies for inclusion. Don't let the absence of a motorcycle in the picture deceive you. The motorcycle did not attempt to cross the ford.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Blue_Licks#Battle

DSCI0650.JPG

Well, this morning I had another delightful adventure - in the f@cking rain - AGAIN!
My long distance ride is a big Honda ST1300 (think Gold Wing - but for bad boys) and with my new knee install in January/2019, I simply couldn’t do the necessary maintenance and repairs this past winter. The bike is 12 years old and has gone ~72,000 km (40,000 miles) and it needed fork seals and bushings and steering head bearings.View attachment 141291 It also required a valve clearance check - which is a fairly significant task. I wanted to ride it this spring and as mentioned, my knee wasn’t up to a lot of time in the unheated DCW. Sooo, I had the work done at a shop (Bob’s Motorsports) in Chatham which is about 80 km (~50 miles) east of Windsor. They did a great job and I got the bike back a couple of weeks ago but they wanted to check the steering head bearings after I had ridden it for a while so I took it to Chatham early this morning under threatening skies because I am taking off on my spring biker buddy trip tomorrow morning. We’re headed to New Hampshire via Peterborough, ON and northern New York.

Well, todays short expedition went great until....I was about halfway home and then the frickin’ skies opened up on me. Man, did I get wet. Oh well, the engine is running like new (none of the 16 valve shims needed to be changed) and the steering head bearings feel awesomely smooth and steady. The difference in overall chassis noise level and steadiness of handling after this final seating adjustment is quite noticeable. Eventually, I got home and stood dripping in the garage for a few minutes. Then I disassembled my multi-layer jacket and popped everything into the dryer.

All good now and just as I was finishing my lunch, the nice folks from Canada Post (Mailman’s northern cousins) delivered Lucille’s new tires - yay! I wonder why the inner tubes (which I ordered 15 minutes after I ordered the tires :rolleyes:) didn’t come at the same time. Hmmmm....
View attachment 141292 All-in-all, a good - but wet - day.

I must say though, that I am really sick and tired of the crappy weather.

Pete

G'day Pete,

I see that you seem to have your escape vehicle sitting in the background, AKA boat for all of your rain!!

I hear ya on the weather, Pete. We've had two pretty nice days in a row..."pretty nice" defined as not raining, not too cold and a little sun.

And I've pissed them both away doing landscaping jobs around the house. Needed to get the new flower bed built and backfilled before my mail-order plants show up. (Below are existing beds, new one is just dirt at the moment)

flowers15_3.jpg

flrs813_3.jpg

I really enjoy flower gardening and flowerbeds don't need to be mowed :cheers: My lawn is overrun with "creeping charlie" and dandelions anyway. If I was REALLY ambitious, I'd skin the sod off the whole damn thing and start over. Fortunately, I have the will power to keep my ambition in check...:rolleyes::p sort of...

I'm also putting in a walkway from the steps in the second picture out to the road...about 35 feet. Been meaning to do that for about 20 years now.

DE,

Very nice garden, you should be proud.

GeeDub

This might be interesting to you KY boys. The pic below is the most likely of the river ford that's mentioned in the link below, where some controversy took place. Only natural ford in the area, and it's the right area. Behind me is a little steeper and goes up the bank diagonally. Connects to a buffalo road that goes on up the hill. This was a trip on motorcycle so it qualifies for inclusion. Don't let the absence of a motorcycle in the picture deceive you. The motorcycle did not attempt to cross the ford.

View attachment 141297

That looks too deep to cross with a motorcycle.

View attachment 141297
Did you find the lick?

Did you find the lick?
Technically, there's nothing to find; it just means the ground in the area has a high salt content. Big Bone Lick will make your eyes water though.... Half the towns around here are something or other Lick. The McGary character in that story, he comes up in other Boone stories. It's like the population was so low you didn't have the luxury of choosing only friends who still had their sanity :)

Took a ride last night on my big bike and stopped in a small town on the east coast called Shediac, NB. This place is a tourist town and plenty of vacationers from all over drive down to the sandy beaches and gobble up some Northumberland straight lobsters. Eat your heart out Maxpete!!! lol 20190523_193134_HDR.jpg 20190523_193216_HDR.jpg

So.... this is the first time the ol' girl has seen the sunlight since 2014. She's not done. Taped on left grip, tank badges and a host of other stuff.... but she can proudly call herself a runner today.

View attachment 141199

No insurance, inspection or registration... but she was beggin' me.....

Looks and sounds good ! Lawns can be driven on in fact the driveway to my garage is nothing but poorly maintained lawn

Back