Just Ride.

Should this ride thread be just a.... well, thread? Or should there be a dedicated Forum topic?

• Yes, it's own topic in the Forums

Votes: 19 90.5%
  • Nah... threads good enough.

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Beautiful day today so I did a hundred miles with a friend. He's a bit of a speed animal but I maintained my own pace, (conservative). At lunch we were discussing our different styles and I pointed out that, at 65, I was too old to scrape my pegs going up Mt Tamborine - I hated injury and worse, damage to my motorcycle. I sanctimoniously informed him that I ride slow, "smell the roses" and stay safe.
At home, I took off my jacket, gloves and helmet and returned to kick the bike over to park it. For the second time this year, I lifted the side stand, got on the bike, jumped on the kick starter and dropped the whole thing on the driveway. Basic idiotic mistake 101. Ten stitches in my elbow and four on my left hand, blood everywhere and a week jerking off with my right hand. Smashed indicator and clutch lever.
All day riding the twisties and flat on my back at home standing still. Somebody smack me!

Attachments

• IMG_0567.JPG
    IMG_0567.JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
It was 'til I saw Gary's post! Now, I'm not so sure.....
Thanks for the kind sentiments friends - makes stupidity easier to bear.
Cheers
One of Murphy's David....
"The stupidity of your actions is directly proportional to the number of people watching at the time."
If no one saw it, weren't stupid at all. :D

It was 'til I saw Gary's post! Now, I'm not so sure.....
Thanks for the kind sentiments friends - makes stupidity easier to bear.
Cheers

Will happen to everyone sooner or later that something goes wrong
I once parked my XS 650 horizontal on the main road
At the roadside was a gas station and beside that a ice cream and hot dog stand
A tourist hot spot
I had filled up .. and started the machine ,,and was aiming .. to get out on the road ..but there was heavy traffic
Could not get out.. I had installed a manual petcock ..I had forgot to open so idling burnt the fuel
I had in the carburetors .. Spotted an opening Opening the throttle the bike was leaning because i wanted to get out of the way quickly It was a left turn -- exactly in front of the Ice cream consumers
There was 2 coughs from the engine and it died ..
I put out my left foot ..and stood there fighting to get it up upwards. To late I had to Bail out .. Step off
The machine fell the main road traffic stopped at ...least 5 - 7 cars was waiting.
Some small child at the Ice cream kiosk Shouted
Daddy daddy has he been drinking alcohol .
Gear shifter and blinkers gone .. Trying to raise the bike Middle of the road .. .Push it back to the gas station
No applause from the Hot Dog stand nor any small circles drawn at temples from the cars now finally being able to Continue on their Sunday afternoon .
Most likely that child was still shouting about drinking habits but I did not hear them.
Hose clamps and a piece of bent reebar .Roadside motorcycle Mechanics . And I got home without pushing it home
That has also happened

Spectacular shot! So many old buildings Gary and what's that at the top right of town - a factory or sports stadium? Fish in that river?
Thanks Dave!
Water power was the start of Baraboo. Dams on the river powered factories and mills along Water street just left of the River. Then as other power sources came on line, the Ringling circus took over those buildings, Baraboo was the winter headquarters of the circus. Now the Circus World Museum occupies much of the center of the picture, both sides of the river including the wooded area. The Baraboo City shops is the large building center right. Buildings of our current industrial base are not in view. All dams have now been removed from the Baraboo river and yes there is a fishery. Though most are now gone we had hundreds of indian mounds all around Baraboo. Top center, left of the river was long a Ho Chunk Tribal Council meeting area.

Thanks Dave!
Water power was the start of Baraboo. Dams on the river powered factories and mills along Water street just left of the River. Then as other power sources came on line, the Ringling circus took over those buildings, Baraboo was the winter headquarters of the circus. Now the Circus World Museum occupies much of the center of the picture, both sides of the river including the wooded area. The Baraboo City shops is the large building center right. Buildings of our current industrial base are not in view. All dams have now been removed from the Baraboo river and yes there is a fishery. Though most are now gone we had hundreds of indian mounds all around Baraboo. Top center, left of the river was long a Ho Chunk Tribal Council meeting area.

It really looks like a pretty little town.

You've seen sunrise, here's just after sunset. From about the same spot, looking northwest instead of southeast.
Baraboo evening 04-13-2020.jpg

The number of tribes across America is huge, the cultures amazing and SO varied, the history heartrending.
Dave T you've got an inn to rest at in Baraboo on your travels!
To summer!
jp gg tail o dragon.jpg

@JRP01 in the lead, I'm on Resto.

Last edited:
What a pretty town! I wish our little city had a nice downtown but alas, the downtown is a monument to themselves (it's the county seat) a jail and a chicken processing plant which comes with a lovely aroma.

WooHoo! The weather gods were smiling on Missouri the last two days. Yesterday, high of 67° and the Honda and I took about a 100 mile putt and today was 58° and the Yammy and I took about a 60 mile putt. Forecast for Saturday is back in the 60's and sunny so the scoots may get some more exercise!

Back