1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Featured Just Ride.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jim, May 10, 2019.

1. Yes, it's own topic in the Forums

19 vote(s)
    90.5%
  2. Nah... threads good enough.

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  1. Paul Sutton

Paul Sutton Still Looking Good Top Contributor

It would be nice to see a photo in July/August of 2M's devastated Texan oak trees just to see if they can recover - Please...:bike:

2. xjwmx

xjwmx It's just the unknown. Top Contributor

U.S.A.
    If you only read candy wrappers, you'd think the U.S. is allergic to peanuts.

jetmechmarty likes this.
  3. ThatXS650Guy

ThatXS650Guy More Sparky than Speed Racer XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

North GA
    Not an XS but it was a beautiful day and I needed to put more break-in miles on the cop bike. This is outside of a local brewery we frequent. Marty should recognize the CB750.
    IMG_1635.JPG

4. jetmechmarty

jetmechmarty What should I put here? XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Yeah, that CB is stunning! I can’t wait to see your CHIPS bike. I’ll be back in Georgia more often as things calm down.

ThatXS650Guy and Paul Sutton like this.
  5. David Toll

David Toll Reliving my youth? Top Contributor

Five days of solid rain here on the Coast. Spent my time polishing the rust off various unpainted bits of the SE.
    Are those oaks a million years old 2Many? The whole idea of fall and spring regrowth is unusual - doesn't happen here. Of course the mechanics did that lovely bike for free!
    Nice street scene Bob. Must be a lovely place to live - wide streets, tree lined avenues, lush gardens - bit of a surprise in my idea of Arizona, if you'll pardon the pun. See you're still on Bike 1. No sign of the XS2?
    No MOT in Oz except for the original inspection prior to registration. After, that, you just fork out the 6 or 12 month rego each year. If it's too noisy or not sporting mirrors, indicators, that kind of thing, the police will eventually pull you up and make you tow it away for repair.

We've seen that pub before Guy! Your local?

Still raining!

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
  6. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

Hopefully on the road soon! :bike:

7. RustiePyles

RustiePyles Semper Fortis XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Those are Texas Live Oaks, the oldest live oaks (in Louisiana) are estimated to be 500-1000 years old. I don't think the Live Oaks in 2Many's picture are quite that old but there's a pretty good chance they were alive when Santa Anna and the Texans were pounding it out at the Alamo, those trees very well could have witnessed the Spanish occupation of the Texas region. Most of the American Live Oaks were wiped out 1640-1870 to build ships.

8. TwoManyXS1Bs

TwoManyXS1Bs BBQ Hunter Top Contributor

From 1-1/2 years ago, dragging deadwood outta the forest.
    20190717_OakRings.jpg

I counted 160 *thin* rings in that trunk. Been dead for about 10 years, making it 170 years old. Goes back to 1850, I guess...

9. TwoManyXS1Bs

TwoManyXS1Bs BBQ Hunter Top Contributor

Finally got a tolerable break in the weather, beautiful day, and had a 13-bike turnout for the Thursday Group Ride.

Had to bundle-up for a 46°F (8°C) crack-of-dawn departure, quickly warming up, then peel off layers for a 90°F (32°C) afternoon. Ever felt both underdressed and overdressed?

Jack (Team Junk) joined in on his R3, me on my Vegas, with this 13 bike rabble for a spirited jaunt on the Twisted Sisters in the Central Texas Hill Country, culminating at the Lost Maples Cafe in Utopia.

20210408_GroupRide.jpg

Good thing he knows the area, Jack had to give the ride leader advice on rerouting because of a downed bridge on the route. Fortunately, this part of Texas was spared the ravages of the February icestorm. The bridge was down for some other reason.

Great food, lunching with bunch of crotchety curmudgeons (actually good folks), I think Jack was the *youngster* in this group...

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
    gggGary, Jim, Mailman and 7 others like this.
  10. Team Junk

Team Junk XS650 Guru XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Good ride with 2M yesterday.Haven’t rides with that big of a group since the 70’s. The last time I had been to Utopia was for the funeral of my former fire chief. I drove a brush truck in a pretty good ice storm to get there so kinda a melancholy place for me.

Wasn’t sure how well the R3 would keep up . It’s not the giant killer that RD350 was but did fine on the high speed sections of the ride.

On the way back Steve and I stopped at the house and examined my growing pile of parts and ideas for Old Brown.

IMG_20210408_125448355.jpg

11. Mailman

That is one eclectic group of motorcycles, usually out here when you see groups of riders they are mostly Harleys.
    One time I was invited to tag along with a group of Goldwing riders, I showed up on my nicely restored ‘77 BMW and I felt like a red headed step child, nobody even wanted to talk to me. It was weird.

12. Team Junk

It was an interesting group. Ranging from a german on a huge k1200 touring bike, a 4 wheeled Goldwing, 3 650 Burgmans a random Harley and of course my 320 cc powerhouse.

13. jetmechmarty

I know I can drive an XS650 from here to Central Texas, but I question whether I would want to.

14. Team Junk

Steve and I were talking to a guy from northern Alabama yesterday and he seemed pretty pumped about riding here. It's early yet this morning and already 30-40 bikes have gone by and a brace of MX-5's in various states of tune. Come on down. You while have fun.

15. Paul Sutton

Paul Sutton Still Looking Good Top Contributor

I wanna go to Texas........:bike:

16. jetmechmarty

All I need is the time. It's 14 hours rolling time from here. Two weeks of vacation and elderly parents (hers and mine) doesn't cut it, not to mention children and grandchildren a day's drive away. If not for all the screw ups I made along the way, I'd be very close to retiring. I'm sure I'm not alone in this lifeboat.

17. jetmechmarty

I put 150 miles on my refreshed XS650SK today. It turned in 56 mpg. I went down onto the Mississippi Delta. I took a few pictures. Enjoy!

Attached Files:

18. David Toll

David Toll Reliving my youth? Top Contributor

Looks like fine riding country, in beautiful weather, on a lovely old motorcycle. Good as it gets Marty!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
  19. Mailman

All right Marty! Great photos, looks like you had a great day! ;)

20. Team Junk

Your bike looks great on the road. I would imagine that not only did you have a good time but in some part of your journey you passed someone who said holy cpap, did you see that 650 , I had one just like it in school or the service and wish I would of kept it . Even on the R3 I encounter guys who see my bike and come up and tell me about their bikes of the past and how much they miss them.

TwoManyXS1Bs, David Toll, Jim and 4 others like this.