Just Ride.

Should this ride thread be just a.... well, thread? Or should there be a dedicated Forum topic?

• Yes, it's own topic in the Forums

Votes: 19 90.5%
  • Nah... threads good enough.

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
And once a awhile you might have to take evasive action from a flying duck or pheasant
or running deer if you hang around come sunset (we usually get off the county roads before dark)

But the category was around until the site redesign in 2016. People don't use the categories we have now correctly. People constantly post in 'The Classroom' things that don't belong there.

I'm of the school that says the sidewalks should be where ppl walk, not vice versa. Seems like Garage has turned into technical mechanical fixit talk, and the Lounge covers most of the rest, even though it usually involves motorcycles but technically isn't supposed to. No doubt AI-driven forums of the future will adjust the sidewalk positions automatically :)
If there's inappropriate stuff in Classroom, you might consider changing its name to something more specific, like maybe "ONLY questions about how to use the site ONLY"...

Sidewalks are methodical and not always where people want to walk. They try to keep people on a planned path to avoid chaos and ugliness. If you put a sidewalk where every person walked, you'd have too many sidewalks. Sometimes people get confused and drive on the sidewalks. :)

You're also making my point that people can't even use The Lounge correctly. Our two categories are basically Motorcycle Related Discussion, and everything else, and people don't get it right.

The Classrooms already says "Site Software Questions, Suggestions, and Announcements (and anything else related to the site itself)." It should also be clear from the existing content what should be posted there.

70 degrees and sunny this morning. Our temps have been all over the place. We hit our first 100 degree day a month ago. The desert is taking on its normal hue of dry toast, and I’m out chasing the horizon.
46B2BBDE-4AC1-4B59-AA9F-743D4FF43D5F.jpeg
6AC2649D-A25D-4EBD-B9D2-28D66E6AF608.jpeg
11E89261-30AF-40E4-A5D8-F467CDCCF227.jpeg

This was one seriously deserted road, not a single car. Then I realized why, it abruptly ended at a chain link fence and gate that said private ranch land.

Sidewalks are methodical and not always where people want to walk. They try to keep people on a planned path to avoid chaos and ugliness. If you put a sidewalk where every person walked, you'd have too many sidewalks. Sometimes people get confused and drive on the sidewalks. :)

You're also making my point that people can't even use The Lounge correctly. Our two categories are basically Motorcycle Related Discussion, and everything else, and people don't get it right.

The Classrooms already says "Site Software Questions, Suggestions, and Announcements (and anything else related to the site itself)." It should also be clear from the existing content what should be posted there.
My thinking was it has organically evolved to meet the actual needs. Not de-structured, but restructured. Also I think what happens in the two main forums is suited to their names. Garage, which is getting things fixed, and Lounge, what would happen in a real lounge, naturally including motorcycle talk. Garage isn't a place to play, and Lounge isn't a place to avoid talking about motorcycles. The sidewalk analogy might not be real good, but I was thinking of an actual occurrence. There was large yard at a school. Stand on the corner there and there's a sidewalk to your left, and one to your right. But where everybody needs to go is straight ahead, meaning diagonally across the yard... They'd put a monument in the yard so were now giving it all lots of attention, and when I made my diagonal walk a guard saw me and called me out. I told a teaching assistant or somebody about it and he said "sidewalks should be where people need to walk". There's been a diagonal sidewalk there for a few decades now.

Last edited:
70 degrees and sunny this morning. Our temps have been all over the place. We hit our first 100 degree day a month ago. The desert is taking on its normal hue of dry toast, and I’m out chasing the horizon.
Good shots. Are those road surfaces as rough as they look?

Good shots. Are those road surfaces as rough as they look?

Yes, they absolutely are.
It’s funny you asked that. I have never been on a paved road that felt like a washboard dirt road, until today.
I went on a couple of roads that practically had my bones clacking! :yikes:

One other random thought. I moved to the edge of the city, I was so happy to have wide open spaces just minutes from my house, but I have been surprised at the rapid expansion of huge housing developments since moving here. The last house I lived in, when I bought it 30 years ago, I was six miles beyond the edge of town, surrounded by farmland. The city caught up to me and by the time I moved, the edge of town was 25 miles beyond me.
Now it’s happening again. I wonder if there are any homes for sale in Fredericksburg Texas? I hear there is good BBQ there! :D

Back