Just Ride.

Should this ride thread be just a.... well, thread? Or should there be a dedicated Forum topic?

• Yes, it's own topic in the Forums

Votes: 19 90.5%
  • Nah... threads good enough.

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What a shocking thing to have happen! How much meat did you buy?
upload_2021-8-7_14-46-45.png

A few days ago I was out for a ride and stopped to see Dewayne. We've been friends since I was a teenager. Used to ride together some. He is a character. About 20 years ago he decided he wanted to build a hard-tail lightweight bike. He had H-D hard-tails but wanted something lighter. So he bought a couple of 650 Yamaha's. He's quite a bike enthusiast plates 6 bikes a year, everything from a pan head to a bagger to a Ural with a side car the 650 and a couple of others. Anyway he did all the work on the 650. I mentioned I had never rode a hard-tail. We ended up swapping bikes and going for a 25 smile ride. I was impressed. That thing is perfectly stable going down the road. All you had to do was just think about going around a corner and it did it. Loved the peg position. Now we went down smooth roads so I never got the full effect of a hard-tail. It's a blast to ride.
Usually when I see a failed hard-tail attempt for sale all I see is parts like motor, wheels ect. I might rethink that.
upload_2021-8-7_16-14-18.png
upload_2021-8-7_16-25-43.png

A few days ago I was out for a ride and stopped to see Dewayne. We've been friends since I was a teenager. Used to ride together some. He is a character. About 20 years ago he decided he wanted to build a hard-tail lightweight bike. He had H-D hard-tails but wanted something lighter. So he bought a couple of 650 Yamaha's. He's quite a bike enthusiast plates 6 bikes a year, everything from a pan head to a bagger to a Ural with a side car the 650 and a couple of others. Anyway he did all the work on the 650. I mentioned I had never rode a hard-tail. We ended up swapping bikes and going for a 25 smile ride. I was impressed. That thing is perfectly stable going down the road. All you had to do was just think about going around a corner and it did it. Loved the peg position. Now we went down smooth roads so I never got the full effect of a hard-tail. It's a blast to ride.
Usually when I see a failed hard-tail attempt for sale all I see is parts like motor, wheels ect. I might rethink that.
View attachment 196114View attachment 196115
You like that saddle? I see those on fleabay from india. Like the spring suspension on them.

You like that saddle? I see those on fleabay from india. Like the spring suspension on them.
I think he made the saddle. Those are twin shocks under it. It worked well. If it was a few more inches longer it would have been better for me. He has shorter legs than I do. He built the bike to fit him. The bars are some sort of superbike bars from his H2 that he used to drag race. The bends have been changed a little. He said he had them on a dirt bike at on time. He just sold the H2. Someone from SC came up and bought it. The pipes and porting were done by a guy named Bill Wirges. Ever hear of him?

Home now from a 200+ mile round trip in Herefordshire & Wales, passing through the Forest of Dean, Wye valley etc. My friends' bikes are a BMW F700 and a Kwak H1 - this pic was taken at the 12th Century Skenfrith Castle. I'd tell you the exact mileage but the speedo cable and drive box parted company en route, depositing the cable inner somewhere this side of Tintern! I didn't notice at the time as I was concentrating on trying to find an opening to pass the car holding us up in the tightest section of twisties above Tintern Abbey.
20210811_152625.jpg

Just a little camping trip to one of my favorites, Wyalusing State Park overlooking the confluence of the wisconsin and Mississippi rivers. great to get out n about.
View attachment 196438
That looks great gggGary, I've got the weekend off, Gunna take the missus camping out to eudlo national park on the k1600 it's got more room than the xs for her essentials.

Did you take your camp chef with you? JRP? :)
Camp chef is Phil, @JRP01 not so much, LOL but a solo trip, Just gary camp food.
Had a great night then wandered home via the "back" backroads, shoulda stopped to take more pics, driftless area and Amish so picturesque.
This antique popcorn wagon was off a deadend street in tiny Rock Springs but he had so many signs out coming into the village, I had to stop, advertising works.
20210813_111845.jpg

Shake down camping trip on the BM-w went well. Pretty much getting used to the bulk of the road couch again. Even a turn around on a gravel dead end lane :yikes: went well. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
A view at Wyalusing State Park.
wyalusing SP.jpg

Wisconsin River comes in from RH foreground. Missisippi from top and exits left. Very busy RR tracks both sides of Ole' Miss.
When I left, I followed the Mississippi upstream about 20-30 miles then headed back east towards home.

Last edited:
Camp chef is Phil, @JRP01 not so much, LOL but a solo trip, Just gary camp food.
Had a great night then wandered home via the "back" backroads, shoulda stopped to take more pics, driftless area and Amish so picturesque.
This antique popcorn wagon was off a deadend street in tiny Rock Springs but he had so many signs out coming into the village, I had to stop, advertising works.
View attachment 196459
Shake down camping trip on the BM-w went well. Pretty much getting used to the bulk of the road couch again. Even a turn around on a gravel dead end lane :yikes: went well. :rolleyes:
Took the road couch for an overnighter and ran out of petrol at the top of the mountain range with the fuel gauge showing 360 kilometres of fuel left in tank!. The finance minister was not impressed. At least the xs has reserve fuel taps. We then rode 10 kilometres of gravel road each way avoiding kangaroos.

Attachments

• 20210512_073032.jpg
    20210512_073032.jpg
    319.5 KB · Views: 85
Back