Just Ride.

Should this ride thread be just a.... well, thread? Or should there be a dedicated Forum topic?

• Yes, it's own topic in the Forums

Votes: 19 90.5%
  • Nah... threads good enough.

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Excellent story Thu. :laugh2: Reminds me that I forgot to tell my "inspection station " tale.
A few weeks ago... or was it months :umm:... dunno, time seems to have less and less meaning for some reason. Anyway....
Checked in, gave 'em my paperwork, then went and sat outside in a lawn chair next to the door. I can hear the conversation inside... Inspector picks up my clipboard, looks at it and sez to the girl behind the counter "1980?! Man, why do I always have to look at all the ol' junkers?" Girl sez "Aw c'mon Don, your Japanese. Who better?" She was grinnin' so it was all good natured I guess. Guy walks out and sez "Dent... 1980"... squints at the clipboard... "Yamaha?" I stand up... little Japanese guy, looks to be in his 70's. I smile, point around the corner and dutifully follow behind. He rounds the corner and stops dead in his tracks. "Damn... an XS650" he sez. He gets a big grin and walks up to it and want's to talk about it. He's owned 'em before. Pretty soon he's literally fondling my bike. Weren't sure if I should laugh or get mad. All the usual... turn, hi beam... horn... all good. Has me drive around the island pumps and tap both brakes. Pull back up and he sez "do it again" with this big grin. I do. He fondles her some more... sez "you're good" and walks back inside. Followed him in. I swear, it took all I had not to ask him if he wanted me to go find him a cigarette. :laugh2:
My 5 minute inspection took a half an hour. I was glad I could make his day.

Last edited:
The wife hates it when she's pillion and I stop to get fuel. Every time someone will want to have a look at the xs and talk all about em, what year is it? Etc while she stands there waiting. She loves being pillion on the bmw cause no one even looks at it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210810-070211_One UI Home.jpg
    Screenshot_20210810-070211_One UI Home.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 86
If she had been one of my horses, I would have given her extra oats.

That made me smile!

Kicking a bike with people watching definitely a pressure situation. I'm coming to trust Miss November to start 1st kick. And there's been a good few times when she has obliged even after people have made compliments and I can feel them watching. That time I had a guy yabbering on about me 'jumping' the filling station queue - could have hugged the bike for not letting me down . . .

Facebook has a way of reminding us of our past posts (from 10 years ago) that is not always a good thing. Today, I was reminded of why I do not appreciate seeing fawns on the side of the road, or online or even in cartoons for that that matter.

This is "Blue" my 2002 FZ1 with just barely 62K miles miles on it in 2011 when I met Bambi. The vicious fawn attacked me mid corner on a wooded off ramp here in Virginia. (It is unconfirmed that my speed may have been slightly over the posted limited, but by no more than say 20mph).
1629854746980-png.png

Blue would have been rebuildable for sure but the insurance made me a deal I couldn't let go by. The bars were bent, the brake handle and pedal needed replacing as did the cowl. The bike only slid and did not tumble. The rest was merely scratches as far as I could tell and it started up on second try once a good Samaritan got me home.

As for me on the other hand, I spent a few months recovering from a fractured sternum, right down the center it broke.

With the exception of being deployed, I went through the longest non-bike era of my life till I bought the Rocket in 2013. That was due to finances and not worry of the off. Life was hard without a bike of my own during the dark days. I was only able to survive by barrowing buddy's bikes and hitting every single demo truck that came anywhere near my area. it was a little ironic since the reason I was riding that fateful morning was to go to a Suzuki demo ride at a nearby dealership. I have never owned a Suzuki and wanted to discover if I had been missing something. Anyway, that is the demise of Blue some 10 years ago...

Excellent story Thu. :laugh2: Reminds me that I forgot to tell my "inspection station " tale.
A few weeks ago... or was it months :umm:... dunno, time seems to have less and less meaning for some reason. Anyway....
Checked in, gave 'em my paperwork, then went and sat outside in a lawn chair next to the door. I can hear the conversation inside... Inspector picks up my clipboard, looks at it and sez to the girl behind the counter "1980?! Man, why do I always have to look at all the ol' junkers?" Girl sez "Aw c'mon Don, your Japanese. Who better?" She was grinnin' so it was all good natured I guess. Guy walks out and sez "Dent... 1980"... squints at the clipboard... "Yamaha?" I stand up... little Japanese guy, looks to be in his 70's. I smile, point around the corner and dutifully follow behind. He rounds the corner and stops dead in his tracks. "Damn... an XS650" he sez. He gets a big grin and walks up to it and want's to talk about it. He's owned 'em before. Pretty soon he's literally fondling my bike. Weren't sure if I should laugh or get mad. All the usual... turn, hi beam... horn... all good. Has me drive around the island pumps and tap both brakes. Pull back up and he sez "do it again" with this big grin. I do. He fondles her some more... sez "you're good" and walks back inside. Followed him in. I swear, it took all I had not to ask him if he wanted me to go find him a cigarette. :laugh2:
My 5 minute inspection took a half an hour. I was glad I could make his day.

I had something similar, I pulled into a Taco Bell with one of the Z1900's and this guy comes running out and says, I knew exactly what kind of bike that was by the sound and then goes on to say he got a woody just hearing it. TMI for me

Last edited:
Went for a ride today. Sort of meandering on the 2 lanes in the country. Rode through a small town call Mt.Morris. In the town center is a old collage. I don't remember when it closed. Part of the old campus is a city park. I noticed there was some kind of exhibit going on. Good place to stop and take a look.
Straw sculpting never heard of it. It was cool to look at.The little kid in me wanted to use my Bic to make sure it's real straw.:sneaky:
upload_2021-9-5_16-39-36.png
upload_2021-9-5_16-44-1.png
upload_2021-9-5_16-44-53.png
upload_2021-9-5_16-45-35.png
upload_2021-9-5_16-46-14.png
upload_2021-9-5_16-46-54.png
upload_2021-9-5_16-47-44.png

Saddle up guys.
upload_2021-9-5_16-48-52.png

Built in 1839. One of the original collage buildings, still in use. It had major work done in the early 1900s after a fire.
upload_2021-9-5_16-50-59.png

It was a good ride. About 80 smiles, bike ran great!

Pretty Pillion and I went to late breakfast this morning and ended up doing about a four hour ride. Since it was mainly back roads, that equated to a single tank of gas.
This is on our way to Quantico National Cemetery to visit and drop off some flowers.

20210911d-jpg.jpg

Pretty Pillion and Brahma

20210911b-jpg.jpg

This is at a newly opened bakery called Paris Baguette in Centerville, VA. I went here on purpose to try the passionfruit donuts; very delicious if you like a bit of tartness.

20210911f-jpg.jpg

20210911g-jpg.jpg

Pretty Pillion and I went to late breakfast this morning and ended up doing about a four hour ride. Since it was mainly back roads, that equated to a single tank of gas.
This is on our way to Quantico National Cemetery to visit and drop off some flowers.

20210911d-jpg.jpg

Pretty Pillion and Brahma

20210911b-jpg.jpg

This is at a newly opened bakery called Paris Baguette in Centerville, VA. I went here on purpose to try the passionfruit donuts; very delicious if you like a bit of tartness.

20210911f-jpg.jpg

20210911g-jpg.jpg
Looks like a nice place to "JUST RIDE" both Quantico and donuts. I've seen the exit off 95 and wondered what it's like there. Nice Pics!

Looks like a nice place to "JUST RIDE" both Quantico and donuts. I've seen the exit off 95 and wondered what it's like there. Nice Pics!
Joplin road (Hwy 619) is very pleasant, it is the one right in front of Quantico National. Of course, 1-2 motorcyclists go there to die each year. The cops sit out on it just about every weekend to catch the speed demons.

Back