Just some tips on wiring and shorts

member3480

RICH
Reaction score
I always get the same question about blowing fuses or lights not working. Some parts are just not made to be bolt on and go. I have had good and bad experience with the mini gauges with lights and most of the time they are fixable but maybe not what you want.
MINI GAUGES cable driven have lights on them that are simple if hooked up correct HIGH/LOW no problem NEUTRAL LIGHT no problem OIL LIGHT not used on a xs650 unless you cut in a pressure switch but for what???? NOW the biggie TURN SIGNALS only one light and no relay so what to do? You can connect at the flasher and that will work or you can use the oil light as the right turn signal that will work too. So things can be made to work BUT make sure you tie in your grounds or you will have problems.
Shorts and blowing fuses
If you own a bike you need TOOLS!!!! Buy a good test light and a good meter and you got something to work with. Plus spare parts help even if they sit on the shelve you got them. This is a OLD BIKE with OLD PARTS.
Up grading parts is great but if you don't know what you are doing its HELL. If you have a short or blowing fuses subtract the problem . TAKE THINGS OFF and see if it still happens. I had a guy tell me he keeps blowing light fuse. So I told him disconnect your headlight ONE PLUG easy. Fuse still blew. Next I told him to disconnect his tail light 3 WIRES easy . Fuse didn't blow. Now I told him to put head light back on . FUSE didn't blow. So now we have the problem but he had no test light or meter. So I told him take the light off the bike and use the battery and ground the light to battery and test the brake wire and running light wire. WELL it all worked NOW WHAT. I told him put light back on bike but run the ground wire to the battery. WORKED no fuse blown and I figure you can tell what was the problem GROUND!!!!! to frame was bad. So if you take your time you can fix it with small tools. Just THINK FIRST and then ATTACK!!!
Hope this helped a little
I am always reading my mail so if you have a question or just need to talk contact me at
DADDYGCYCLES@YAHOO.COM I also have FACETIME so you can show me what you got if you have it too
KEEP CHOPPIN and have a great day
Rich

Back